1. 1. How would you rate this release

• 5/5 - a future classic, a must have for everybody
    • 4/5 - very good, a must have for fans of sub-genre
    • 3/5 - good, typical release for the sub-genre
    • 2/5 - poor, uneven, let down by technical issues
    • 1/5 - avoid at all cost

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I totally get at what this guy was aimig at. Hes trying to make that heavy and trippy atmosphere similar to Shpongle. Lots of real percussion noises and echoing vocals, but this guy straight up FAILED. I got bored 5 minutes in, tried skipping along but its all just a bunch of empty bass lines followed by warped vocals echoing around, trying way too hard to implement tribal sounds. Litterally just a bunch of repeating voice samples, a bassline and tribal noise and maybe a few FX but thats it.

H O R R I B L E

Yeah I totally get at what this guy was aimig at. Hes trying to make that heavy and trippy atmosphere similar to Shpongle. Lots of real percussion noises and echoing vocals, but this guy straight up FAILED. I got bored 5 minutes in, tried skipping along but its all just a bunch of empty bass lines followed by warped vocals echoing around, trying way too hard to implement tribal sounds. Litterally just a bunch of repeating voice samples, a bassline and tribal noise and maybe a few FX but thats it.

H O R R I B L E

I appreciate your honesty. Personally I don't see this "trying to make that heavy and trippy atmosphere similar to Shpongle" - for me it was actually the opposite: they (BTW, it's two guys, not "he") aimed to make it really simple, streamlined and "pure"; to distil the sounds to their very core. Unlike Shpongle (which I love as well) they don't try to overload the mix, to assault the listener with multitude of samples and sounds. On another forum a guy was actually complaining that it's too simple, that there's no technical wizardry there, that it's "easy" to do something like it. Again, I feel completely the opposite - it's very easy (with current tools) to build a complex arpeggio, dripping with effects and sound modulations, add a K_BB rhythm section and call it a day; but it's soulless. It's much more difficult to create something meaningful out of few simple sounds - and I think Loud succeeded here! Sure, I agree some tracks (or their segments) get repetitive, some are boring or even annoying, but I try to view it as a whole, which to me is still exceptional.

I have instantly fell in love with some songs! Thank you for this revelation, I have to admitt i dig this Platipus sound very much, not all the tracks but i clearly can see where you go when you said people to give it a proper listen. This is more techy, technoid material than trance. Mixture of techno, progressive and trance. But few tracks that i hear now instantly got me catched, like Africa 101, Deep River Song and Peace Pipe. F yeah, gotta get this one for proper listen at home, doing nothing. Or maybe for a walk in the woods!!! :D

P.S. I gave it 5/5 because we lack diversity nowdays soooo much and this sounded refreshing to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

wow! after reading a lot of mixed reviews, I decided to give this a try to put out a top 10 list. I'm really surprised by 1 rating :D

Diverse tastes, I guess.

I like the album. I'm not much into samples myself but they dont annoy me much.

I dont know which track is which as I've only heard the full album on youtube.

I would buy it for being unique,story telling, concept oriented and having a few memorable moments :)

not to forget that I love the tribal sounds as is. :D

4/5

Thanks Antic for the review and pushing us to check it out.

P.S - as of now, I would choose this over Museum Of Consciousness.

• Like 1

I still dont get it. If the pointless uptempo and breakbeat bass lines were thrown out generally, you would get some niceish tribal ambient. Throw the bass lines back in as it is, you get an inarticulate mess of 2 worlds that dont fit together at all. And while the argument that "ITS SOMETHING NEW" and "WE NEVER HEARD SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!" is true, it's still a complete mess and for real I am trying to look through the eyes of positive comments, but I dont see anything good in this even after 2 months after hearing it. I usually change my mind with time, but this is an abomination. Fundamentally bad track layouts and planing, unfitting basslines, annoying FX. Basically a PAYtrance artist trying to show off and be cool and failing.

Just no.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Came around this by accident in 2016 (was dragged by a friend to a Loud’s live set in a festival) and was quite impressed with it; probably because I was expecting ~cheesy~ fullon and that’s why I didn’t want to go at the beginning, but they were playing most of this album instead.

Now I listen to this from start to end every once in a while and think this album is one of the very few releases that I’ve listened in the past couple of years that I can play in a lot of different settings.

As someone else mentioned before, ‘Goblins Talking’ is quite good and I’ve noticed it’s excellent for people that are not too familiar with trance genres to get into. With such a beautiful melody and buildup, that’s definitely one of the highlights of the album for me.

‘Africa 101’ would be one of the tracks that I didn’t like at the beginning as I felt it was very cheesy but now I dance to it like a crazy monkey. Same goes for ‘Om’ as I sometimes wanted for it to be over but now I feel it’s excellent to get in a trance state or meditation :o

Unlike others, I love the intro to the album and the overall voice samples as I feel they drive the concept in a nice direction and blend properly with the more ambient sounds, creating a beautiful atmosphere.

If you give this a try I’d recommend listening to the continuous mix which is available on YouTube and Spotify.

• Like 1

When I first heard this I had the urge to skip catching the tram to a friends house and instead walk an hour and a half with no shoes or shirt through the parks and city of Melbourne. Didn't have a care in the world. Beautiful moments, beautiful album.There was a time when I thought that this style was Goa (due to earthy organic nature of it) and this is probably one of the albums that got me to where I am now.

• Like 1