Pop music thread

Anu Katariina

I am pretty sure the psynewsers also "at least occasionally" or " in secret" listen to pop. So what's your fav artists/songs (excluding Neelix, lol).

I was a fan of Tokio Hotel when the boys still knew how to make original music. Nowadays the band disappoints me, but this is good older stuff

I have a thing for (mostly sweet voiced) female vocalists:

* Emma Salokoski. Her latest (solo) album is crap, but the ones with the Ensemble are stellar, each one better than the previous one.

* Maaya Sakamoto. Her albums from the past ~10 years have been a bit up and down in quality, since she stopped working with composer/producer Yoko Kanno, but I still keep buying her albums no matter what :)

* Björk. Her albums since Medúlla have been occasionally even too weird and avantgarde, but I still adore that strange voice of hers and will buy any studio album of hers. Homogenic and Vespertine are nothing short of masterpieces.

Also I have all Portishead studio albums, Madonna's Ray Of Light, a few other J-Pop singles, and maybe something I can't remember right now. Edit: I have all Gotan Project albums too, if that's to be classified as "pop".

I'll maybe dig up some Youtube videos later on; problem is, the ones I'd like to dig up are in Finnish and Japanese so the lyrics won't make sense to most of you :)

:unsure: I saw the whole video , staring at that Labrador retriever pup expecting it might be the hero, I was wrong. Its nowhere to be seen in the end.

+1 to Björk. Most of her LPs are re-issued, have to get them soon. Pretty covers too :D

I have few cassettes & LPs of the King. I do listen to them quite often. Childhood favourites. Apparently my father was a pop music fan in his teens :D has quite a bit of pop cassette collection. Have fond memories of listening to them in our old car and also dad's office jeep.

My brother is a big fan of crappy pop :lol: its more like a punishment for me. Whenever I visit him, I have to listen to whatever that is playing on 9XO & VH1 channel, reason being I have to know the trendy stuff :D:lol: So I pretty much know all the female pop artists , especially RiRi.

Some favourites:

(have never seen the video)

Russians made a love machine :D

More of a synth pop

why you keep posting that again and again :(

I love that Unplugged session. Its his best performance. I love Nirvana.

..My Girl My Girl tell me where did you sleep last night..

Also, just realised, for some reason I dont like how the above songs that I posted sound when listening through ipod or while streaming. They have to be listened to via the old cassettes. I love that sound :)

• Like 1

Never posted this one, posted All apologies :-) But your right, Nirvana is a cult :)

• Like 1

Of course, Freddie Mercury is way beyond anyone else. In this thread or otherwise :)

I actually had a strange dream involving Queen last night...

:ph34r:

There was a great vinyl only Prince tribute set at interstatefm.com.

Of course, Freddie Mercury is way beyond anyone else. In this thread or otherwise :)

Sorry for posting Nirvana "too early". All off topic goes off topic but that was too early ;)

This might be better pop genre fitting, my fav lady singer of the past, R.I.P Kikka

Russians made a love machine :D

Awesome!

All off topic goes off topic - Anu's Law :D

Someday someone will quote this law during a conversation ;)

Not funny. There's nothing wrong going off topic if it is valid and logical with the situation (like my off topics normally are ;) ;) ) but it wasn't here. For example when I chatted with rloop about Russia/St. Petersburg in the puking thread it was the place to deal with the topic (Russia) because I can't start a separate thread of it :P Also in your China thread it was logical to bring the concern of the EU situation because if there wasn't such I might have energy of being interested in China. So you see, I am always logical except with Nirvana, heh :lol:

• Like 1

I like listening to BBC radio 2, and not just for the talk to bathe my daughter in English, it has a great selection of pop. Basically the DJs play pop from all decades from the 60s onwards so generally anything from 5 years ago or more is decent because as always happens the 95% of crap music gets forgotten and so only the great stuff from the past gets played.

Contrast that with the only English radio station I can actually get here on the air here (rather than internet radio) which is the Yokosuka US navy radio that basically plays 80% pop from the last couple of years. The music is mostly crap because crap can be popular but it won't last. Still there is some good stuff among the crap that might make it on to Radio 2 even 30 years from now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a live recording of my Fried Kale project. I was recording some practices leading up to a gig last week so that I could tighten up some of the effects and transitions. The club I played at had some issues and that recording didn't come out well, but here's one of my practices: friedkale.com/audio/FriedKale-Live-2016.mp3

↑↑↑

This video is not available in your country :(

My problem with pop is that it's too catchy. If I like a song it'll get stuck in my head until I detest it. I try just listening to the radio and not paying attention to who or what I'm listening to.

I can't believe I've missed this thread!

I love some good disco, I think what I like most is: That disco people never took themselves really seriously, they knew they were making simple catchy dance music and didn't pretend they were master artists, they just had pure silly fun with the whole process.

There's always some good Pop music that comes out every year that will become classic. For example, from previous years:

Lana del rey - Summertime sadness

Goyte - Some body I used to know

Adelle, Lady gaga...

and of course pop music has given giants like Michael Jackson, Madonna, David Bowie, Abba, Aretha Franklin, Amy Whinehouse...

I still occasionally listen to my New kids on the Block vinyls!!