As off topic has lately been hot topic and as we have covered Drumpf, Brexit and Russian drug mafia etc it wouldn't be fair to leave out the Chinese :P

What's your opinion about them? Primarily interested in their foreign policy and world view , you can talk about communism if you can correlate it to the latter.

**China refuses to accept arbitration court ruling.

No surprise at all.

Would be very interesting to know what the guys from U.S think about China and your country's pivot to Asia policy and its future in the hands of new president.

Tibet topic will also be entertained. As I know few of you are interested in that.

I'm going to give you a typical Indian reponse , I dislike China , they are not at all trustworthy and a complete shitty neighbour title is shared by them with Pakistan.

• Like 1

I read something from one of my trusted financial news sources that China is picking up more debt.

Honestly in the end the USA has the dollar. The world reserve currency.. petro dollar. We hit print, buy what we want and that's that. If a country decides to drop the dollar we find a reason to flex our absolutely insane military that could crush the entire world combined. Is this ni e? No.. not at all. It's just the way it is

• Like 2

I lived in China for almost a year and speak a fair amount of Mandarin. One thing that struck me is how disconnected from politics the average Chinese person is. Sure, some of them express nationalistic fervour and lots of them are posting their unhappiness about the ruling to social media right now, but the vast majority remain apathetic. They don't really know anything or care about their own governance, and that's exactly how the ruling party wants it to be.

• Like 1

I read something from one of my trusted financial news sources that China is picking up more debt.

Honestly in the end the USA has the dollar. The world reserve currency.. petro dollar. We hit print, buy what we want and that's that. If a country decides to drop the dollar we find a reason to flex our absolutely insane military that could crush the entire world combined. Is this ni e? No.. not at all. It's just the way it is

Not for long I guess :)

I lived in China for almost a year and speak a fair amount of Mandarin. One thing that struck me is how disconnected from politics the average Chinese person is. Sure, some of them express nationalistic fervour and lots of them are posting their unhappiness about the ruling to social media right now, but the vast majority remain apathetic. They don't really know anything or care about their own governance, and that's exactly how the ruling party wants it to be.

What do you think would happen, when the average (the vast majority) become aware of their rights , liberty of thought and other usual stuff.? Are people happy with the way things are? I ask this because we get to know hardly anything apart from what it's state owned media wants us to know.

The only thing I see that will ever break the Chinese might is a revolution within China & its autonomous regions gaining independence which they'll never allow it happen.

UNCLOS - The situation is also nicely fucked up with countries trying to force the ruling on China and China on the other hand is just being China. Let's see how this one ends. My guess is Philippines will accept the bilateral talks and they will reach some form of compromise.

As off topic has lately been hot topic

Psynews power to keep you from studying :)

As for China I really don't have any "political opinion", they are far from us and tbh much more troubling things to me are happening in EU atm.

But! I wouldn't like to be tortured by the Chinese. I am a great fan of 24 and there's a lot of torture in that series but above all is Cheng when he abducted Jack and later Audrey and in what condition both came back. And in season 6 I have to mention that the Chinese guys Cheng used to invade CTU were really goodlooking guys (wouldn't believe myself saying this of Chinese guys, little girls are pretty there).

As for tourists the Chinese are awesome and as for immigrants they pick up the way our society functions better than e.g. Africans.

• Like 1

If a country decides to drop the dollar we find a reason to flex our absolutely insane military that could crush the entire world combined.

Sad but true. Even in recent times all US geopolitical (or how they like to call it - national) interests are happening under the banner of NATO, because it doesn't look good if you invade and make agression towards weaker country just by yourself. It's easy to demonize the certain regime/goverment, to finance the opposition, to bomb the infrastructure and after the change of regime rebuild it and make profit. The difference nowdays is that (no matter how long will phenomenon of petrodolar last), the US isn't world policeman anymore, the other players such as China or Russia accepted the idea of capitalism but now they defend their own spheres of influence and 'national' interests and the difference between (let's say) Lybia or Iraq and China or Russia is that US can't do shit about it. They can demonize the goverment or impose some sanctions with their puppet states in EU but in long term they can't do anything. East is becoming a new west and a lot of financial markets on west are slowly starting the long term plans to jump on the bandwagon and become a part of new sources of profit. I don't want to sound like I'm rooting for certain side, actually I'm only rooting for multipolar world and that will happen only when west (led by US) starts to focus more on it self rather on others (and unfortunaley, they have a lot more problems in their backyard).

In short terms Russia now needs China, but in long terms it needs Europe more. China at some point will have to expand it's population on other territory and probably the unhabited wast Russian land and central Asia will be one of the first picks, especially if new silk road project happen in some near future. In best scenario, EU should form better ties now between the 27 countries in union, form it's own military and get rid of NATO and US influence, it will give more room to expand better trading deals with other countries without being harrased by US through UK and it will become a bumper between Russia and US and it could have much more benefits in that way instead of being the first in line to get nuked because of US military presence in Europe. It will also give more resources to US to focus more on their own problems back at home and to deal with China in south-east Asia/Pacific region, and that will happen in the future if there won't be any agreement between regional players.

I hope, I'm not offtopic too much :)

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 4:19 AM, Starkraver said:

What do you think would happen, when the average (the vast majority) become aware of their rights , liberty of thought and other usual stuff.? Are people happy with the way things are? I ask this because we get to know hardly anything apart from what it's state owned media wants us to know.

The only thing I see that will ever break the Chinese might is a revolution within China & its autonomous regions gaining independence which they'll never allow it happen.

UNCLOS - The situation is also nicely fucked up with countries trying to force the ruling on China and China on the other hand is just being China. Let's see how this one ends. My guess is Philippines will accept the bilateral talks and they will reach some form of compromise.

Yes, most people are happy. China's growth has been 7-10% for the last 30 years, which means that the economy has doubled in size every 8 years or so. Improvements in quality of life have been so massive for most people that they don't feel resentment about the government at all. In fact, they identify their country with their government, and feel proud about both.

I think that most revolutions actually happened after the government released control and gave some freedom to the people, and the Chinese government realise that. So they are very proactive in brutally shutting down potential protest groups. They are also very interested in citizen monitoring technologies. With the dawn of huge-scale surveillance it is hard to see how a revolution could ever get started. Just read about this: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186. The current premier Xi Jinping has been far more authoritarian than previous leaders.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:00 AM, recursion loop said:

China defeats my point of view that the most successfull economics may be built and maintained only in Western-style democratic societies. On the other hand, they seem to rely on making cheap copies of everything and unskilled/low paid manpower rather than on their own innovations.

I don't actually know much about China though. After Crimea and the sanctions Putin tried to tell us that China is our best friend now, but I still feel much more conenction to European people than to Chinese. Generally, it seems that political and economical interests of China don't have much to do with Russia.

Yep, in fact the highest growing economies of all time, Singapore, China, South Korea etc have all had highly authoritarian, protectionist governments, which might be troubling for liberal democratic free-trade kind of people.

When I was in Beijing I met loads of Russians who had moved there for a better life.

@Acid Brain- :o @social credit system! And people seem to like that idea.

@Rich - you are perfectly on topic.

If more of this south China dispute continues and U.S tries to meddle in, Russia and China will come closer and don't forget there is SCO which might come into play if NATO tries to poke a nose.

I thought that most people hated Chinese tourists for being even more culturally insensitive than American tourists!

Maybe the Chinese who come here make an intentional choice & really want to see this country because we ain't Paris, London or Rome to stumble upon by "an accident" or because everyone else chooses, too. So tourists overall behave well and ain't being culturally insensitive, not the Chinese and not Americans. Finnish young ppl should be more culturally sensitive. I don't know if i have become old but I don't remember we spitted on streets and left trashes everywhere in the amount the youth do today.

I don't remember we spitted on streets and left trashes everywhere

I've been in China for a few months now, and damn, they like spitting on the street. But it's the opposite, young people usually have better manners. It's the older ones (I'd say 40+) that have bad manners - spitting, littering, not queuing up, honking, smoking while walking etc. Even women (40+) spit on the street (creating that disgusting sound deep from their throat :D). Really annoying.

tbh much more troubling things to me are happening in EU atm.

All the time even worse, first Nice and last night Turkey :(

• Like 1

Guys guys.. Its about chinese foreign policy :D not your private policy towards their women :P

When Monty Python take over you just have to accept it.

Yes sir, can I have some more.

• Like 1

Not for long I guess :)

It is for long. Before the turkey coup we had destroyers in the black Sea and upgraded to DEFCON3. Weeks before it. Our intel is srcond to none and weve ALWAYS spent more on military than the next 29 countries on the list combined.The USA would rather spend on military then help its own people.

If you when you truly know all the fire power we have at the ready.. when push comes to shove.. you don't play with the USA.