To be up in the food chain

Anu Katariina

Moose are abundant here, they need to hunted. They cause lots of car crashes. As for reindeer they get a good life because they are not farmed animals, they run completely free until once a year they are gathered and separated, some go for slaughtering. It is an old nomad culture up in north (Lapland).

Yeah, Finnish traditional dishes are hard for veggies to find some, vegetarian food is available but it is not so traditional, more imported culture.

I make sure you will have the most delicious desserts that special day as your feet hit the soil of Finland :)

• Like 1

I have no idea about Finnish cuisine, same with Austrian. Never seen it on tv.

Btw Padmapani , have you had egg dosa? :D

no never.

the nordic kitchens never really catched on elsewhere (even here in central europe), so i guess it's not that special anyway. the cliché says it's all rotten fish and rotten cheese ;)

austria on the other hand once was a huge empire (largest in continental europe), so we imported and assimilated the best dishes from all over central and eastern europe ;)

the most iconic is the (imho boring) wiener schnitzel:

wiener-schnitzel.jpg

we also have gulasch (or pörkölt in hungary), which is basically the european variant (actually there are many different types of gulasch) of a (northern) indian curry.

GoulashCorderoBandol.jpg

what's really special about austrian cuisine is that there are lots of sweet main dishes like palatschinken (filled, most often sweet soft pancakes as thin as a dosa)

topfenpalatschinken-rezept-img-17584.jpg

or apricot dumplings

marillenknoedel-rezept-img-19851.jpg

or topfenstrudel (strudel with soft sweet cheese)

topfenstrudel.jpg

• Like 2

Damn! Looks like I'm gonna be gaining a few kilos if & when I visit you both of your countries. :D on the inside , I'm still a sweet loving kid :P

@egg dosa - I expected your answer. You'll hardly find it in any restaurants it's more of a street snack.

Just your regular dosa with egg. When your dosa is getting baked , you break an egg on the upward side and spread it over, sprinkle some salt, red chilli powder & chat masala if you have it & let the egg cook. Tastes wonderful. What's not love egg = awesome, dosa = awesome, combo = f'in awesome :P

One of my favourite breakfast when I was working in Bangalore.

You will like Sri Lankan cuisine, almost the same as Kerala. They even have their own version of bowl shaped dosa's. Can't recall the name :/

@schnitzel - Veal! God no! babies :/ Trying very hard to stop eating eggs over here.

Btw you are right, that is so bland! And bland for me is definitely boring. I want layers of melodies in my goa also I want layers of flavour in my food ;)

@egg dosa - I expected your answer. You'll hardly find it in any restaurants it's more of a street snack.

Just your regular dosa with egg. When your dosa is getting baked , you break an egg on the upward side and spread it over, sprinkle some salt, red chilli powder & chat masala if you have it & let the egg cook. Tastes wonderful. What's not love egg = awesome, dosa = awesome, combo = f'in awesome :P

One of my favourite breakfast when I was working in Bangalore.

You will like Sri Lankan cuisine, almost the same as Kerala. They even have their own version of bowl shaped dosa's. Can't recall the name :/

and those things i posted are only some of the warm main dishes. there are also cakes, …

sounds like a great breakfast.

chat masala? wikipedia doesn't help much imagining what it tastes like. dry mango powder? now that will surely taste exotic for me ;)

really? i've been there once and didn't find anything similar. all i got was "rice and curry", which of course is good, but in india you always could choose your dishes at the restaurants (with a huge selection), so having just one piece on the (non-western) menu was a bit strange…

My all-time fav from Austria

ah, sacher torte. i cannot imagine someone not liking that one. but to be honest my favourite cake actually comes from bavaria:

schwarzwaelder-kirschtorte.jpg

@schnitzel - Veal! God no! babies :/ Trying very hard to stop eating eggs over here.

Btw you are right, that is so bland! And bland for me is definitely boring. I want layers of melodies in my goa also I want layers of flavour in my food ;)

most of the time you don't get it with veal anyway. the restaurants are too cheap and serve you pork instead.

agreed.

it really seems as if the more interesting (less boring) food is to be found further south. probably because most of the spices grow in warmer climates. the further north you go the more likely you are to find lots of meat stews (netherlands, uk, nordic countries). if you go just a little south from here you arrive in italy where they use quite a bit more herbs already.

on the other hand we often use "root vegetables", sometimes pureed in a sauce like here:

Praha_2005-09-25_sv%C3%AD%C4%8Dkov%C3%A1

(but the dish on the photo is the czech version. we don't put sour cream on top and our dumplings are bit darker and more tasty ;) )

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Padmapani, I cant describe the exact taste of chat masala but can tell you that its not mild, its a strong mix of various spices, you just sprinkle a little on any bland food and it turns into something completely different.

This time I was able to have this. A tri coloured Dosa ;) there were tri colour idlis as well. Independence Day special.

Tasted good. Green = Palak , centre = regular dosa , saffron/red = carrot flavour. Mad cooking skills

radhey-s-pure-vegetarian.jpg

Sara's Nordic kitchen - a new show will start airing from this week. Food from Finland ;) I will catch up on that Anu. Looks like they heard me complaining :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey padmapami, did you get a chance to try "Chunmari susala"? (Chunmari = Puffed rice) snack.

It's one of my fav fast food/breakfast dish. Ultra easy to make. Took me 5 min this morning.

Couldn't find a good pic on net, so here's mine from this morning. I was out of fresh coriander. You can chop some fresh coriander for garnishing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/C4cIu.jpg

no, i've never heard of it.

looks delicious! how would you prepare it? i'm a bit sceptical about the super easy to make part ;)

btw: your imgur links only work if i delete the .jpg at the end.

Oh trust me it's very easy. Takes 5 mins to cook.

Ingredients:

Puffed rice, onions, groundnuts, curry leaves, mustard seeds, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, red chilli powder & a little lemon squeeze at the end.

*soak the puffed rice in water for 5 mins.

Heat the oil, add mustard seeds, crackle them, add curry leaves chopped onions in the oil, then add roasted groundnuts (if not roasted add them at the beginning, they will be done) sauté them till the onions are soft. Add pinch of turmeric powder, salt to taste, small pinch of sugar, appropriate red chilli powder. Now take the soaked puffed rice, squeeze out the water and add to the pan and mix well. Taste it and add lemon juice to balance the taste.

I like the red chilli powder, you can use chillies too and also tomato can be used instead of lemon juice.