Psytrance that doesn't take itself seriously (Suomi excluded)

Ormion

Ok, I had to exclude Suomi since most of it is humorous, often self-parodying.

So what else?

I nominate Bliss. I love this dude. His tracks are so freestyle and fun. You can tell that he doesn't care to sound serious, just to have some fun. And it works.

big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gifbig-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gifbig-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

Everything in Ubar Tmar's first album. (And Ubar Tmar in general) He made his tracks on it really cheesy, intentionally.

M-run, in particular the tracks Kapala and Cognitive Disorder. They mock goa and the kind of people that listen to goa whilst at the same time being examples of some of the best neogoa ever made!

Oh yes. Really nice stuff that album

M-run, in particular the tracks Kapala and Cognitive Disorder. They mock goa and the kind of people that listen to goa whilst at the same time being examples of some of the best neogoa ever made!

With Kapala we intened to do so: correct! When Mario and me made the track a few years ago we came up with a joke (hear the voice sample) to do exactly what you say :)

With Kapala we intened to do so: correct! When Mario and me made the track a few years ago we came up with a joke (hear the voice sample) to do exactly what you say :)

Apologies, yeah Kapala was M-Run and DJ Inada. I also think there is something quite funny about the whole arrangement of that track, something that is likely to slap a smile on the listener's face.

Everything in Ubar Tmar's first album. (And Ubar Tmar in general) He made his tracks on it really cheesy, intentionally.

Yeah, there's an entire Japanese contingent that is quirky and not serious:

Masa

Ree.k

Ubar Tmar

Sci Forest

If we're excluding Finnish, are we excluding Australia too?

Rip Van Hippy

Shaolin Wooden Men

Lumukanda

The Visitors

• Like 1

Is not serious = cheesy?

Psytrance in general is a cheesy genre, the melodies, samples about drugs, spiritualism etc all point to cheese. But cheese can be good and cheese can be bad.

I like Tamlin, maybe cheesy but I like it a lot.

• Like 2

I saw Daheen once play a party one morning out near STanstead airport in the UK and he absolutely rocked the place with some wacky morning Aussie

it was stuff I wouldn't have probally listened to, but watching him move a crowd of people with mile wide smiles really changed my mind to his music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Escape Into is my favorite psytrance to come along in recent years. They are amazing, fun, and unpredictable.

I don't even have a problem with psytrance that takes itself "seriously" but taking yourself seriously seems to often lead to creative stagnation and lazy formulaic music, whereas just having fun can create some unique new ideas. I want new sounds in goa/psytrance not 90s goa copycats.

• Like 2