Truly bad goa

Blair Thaumic

OK. So, I like almost all old Goa. Melodic, unmelodic, fast, slow, repetitive, non repetitive... you get the idea. :)

Here's a challenge for you, should you choose to accept it. Is there Goa that even I can't like or defend in some way?

No nitzonot, since that's really its own style (Greek uplifting is allowed.)

Also, include some reason for your pick (I may or may not agree, but it's more interesting that way.)

• Like 1

BTW, even Brainfood is welcome if I hear a good enough case against it.

Here's my case /for/ it.

Yes, it's a repetitive album, both from track to track and within the tracks themselves. And it's not especially melodic most of the time, favoring spiralling, interlocking patterns over tuneful riffs.

Here's the thing. I like those qualities. I find its repetition entrancing, even groovy in a way. Tracks generally don't progress or 'go anywhere', but they are dynamic: they rise, fall, and rise again. And the sounds that it does use, besides being deployed in a fairly trippy manner (see above), are a good balance of organic/acidic and cosmic/spacy.

Some tracks do have nice melodies/riffs as well (Paradized, Tranceformation)

Nor do I mind the somewhat dated sounding production. The album has a dreamlike quality, and slicker production wouldn't necessarily be right for the atmosphere that it wants to invoke.

If that doesn't convince you, fair enough. But I honestly find it good and highly original, so it puzzles me that it's considered one of the worst Goa albums ever.

here you go, try this:

the majority of the track is very boring, mainly rhytm elements with an annoying timbre played with an annoying rhytm. this is followed by pointless melodies with out of tune notes at the end.

or maybe this:

it has increadibly annoying patches playing annoying out of tune melodies that don't fit together with the other elements of the track.

• Like 1

Greek uplifting is allowed

You asked for it

Also, include some reason for your pick (I may or may not agree, but it's more interesting that way.)

Audio vomit.

• Like 4

here you go, try this:

the majority of the track is very boring, mainly rhytm elements with an annoying timbre played with an annoying rhytm. this is followed by pointless melodies with out of tune notes at the end.

Hey, I played this in a DJ set last summer, no way it can be bad as I don't play crap music :)

• Like 1

How is it worse than most neo-goa out there? I can't say I especially like it but to me it sounds pretty average.

I think it was terribad. I barely managed to listen to it once.

here you go, try this:

1st track is solid. Eerie floating sounds, a playfully growling midrange lead, industrial percussion, and a lot of atmosphere. Where it's lacking is in the arrangement; it doesn't really have an ending and feels as rushed as its title. Still not bad. I've always thought that that artist sounded like a poor man's Kris Kylven... less polished, but the ideas are there.

The 2nd track is right up my alley. Groovy bass and brain twisting melodies. I like the saturation/distortion on the riffs, it reminds me a little of BOTFB. The track also reminds me of Masa and the Tokyo Tekno Tribe compilations somehow.

B+ and A for those respective tracks. :)

You asked for it

Kinda cheesy. I like Psychonauts - Shadow Of The Moon, and some Cyan, but I didn't know about this stuff. :P Are there a lot of tracks like this one?

...OK, now I'm further into the track and it sounds vomitous indeed. Everything's working at cross purposes to everything else, nothing gels.

Yeah, I'm willing to call this bad. C-

this springs to mind

https://www.discogs.com/Evolution-Oscillating-Phenomena/release/80442

i have a love hate relationship with german goa

i either love it or hate it

I love the downtempo tracks on that album. :)

Evolution - Shiva Technology is a bit worse IMHO, but I didn't want to include it considering how far back the tracks date. And there are some good ones even there.