Is Psytrance a musically complex genre?

BeauJ

Yes, I do not listen to those genres actively and yes, goa can be very simple. Also, I didn't comment on the complexity of goa and house, but more on some tracks that can be really memorable.

But I insist that some (or very few, if you prefer) goa tracks can be the result of inspiration and/or are unique/easily recognisable. As I said, I don't listen to minimal or house actively, but it seems to me that you need skills & practice to produce good music of these genres, but that's all. I haven't noticed much novelty or unique melodies that will give identity to a track and make it stand out of the crowd.

If you tell me you know more unique/memorable/easily recognisable tracks in house/minimal than goa trance maybe I should start listening to those genres. I doubt though.

you're right man i get you ... but its mostly rhythmical ... oh well . yea goa can be simple and really good if done properly. compared to house.. man its a completely different territory im not gonna even gonna think about it.

here's something to enlightned our moods

:) laters friends :wub:

is this complex? nope. is it fucking awesome? yes. this is fuckin goa imo. sure it has good atmo but its dance music in a way atmo has to vanish at some point because its a diff genre n shit .. man not much more to say.. for now think about it i dig this shit and thosee wee filterered sounds are sweet in a way... get it its good shit to listen to imo

good sounds from old roland shit well layered , shit da man mustve worked hard like fuck i got one and never got those sounds . i love shit he did its ok but this is good example i think.

R-579594-1172874016.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Voice-Of-Buddah-Progressive-Goa-Trance/release/579594

Tracklist

1 Amenia Carbon Dioxide 6:31 2 Mach Zillion 6:50 3 Ziax Subconsciousness 6:08 4 Robon Nevertheless 6:27 5 Futurax Psychosis 6:48 6 Fuxian Dishonesty 5:21 7 DJ Sixpack Indestructible 7:04 8 Whonic Symptomatic 7:51 9 Steam (2) Ready For Action 7:04 10 Criozonic Insanity
oh and 303?? SHIITTTT HES FUCKING INSANE always inspires me mate
oh and aye hes american n shit but fuck it ... and btw theres more from this fuckin guy... but dig i say cuz i fokin do! HIHIHIHIHI :D

I have a background of musical theory and practice as I've been playing and studying guitar for about 30 years. Played in bands and solo. Oddly, this turns to be a disadvantage for me because I tend to judge the music from the technical standpoint, with my left brain I mean. I must force myself to simply enjoy the effect of the music on my mind, soul, nerves...

That said, as I approached psychedelic electronic music I noticed the general simplicity of it in terms of tempo, chord progression, overall structure. Such simplicity is compensated, quite often, by rich and even highly sophisticated arrangements which do give a sense of complexity.

As a proof of what I'm saying, you my try and use a music generating application and unleash the talent that's in you! I did it with Launchpad and believe me the results are not bad even if I'm just a guitar man.

As it always happen in life, there are noble exceptions to the general rule. For instance, Shpongle is a band that really masters music in every sense. I bought the Red Rocks concert movie and watched at it countless times. In the movie, you can better appreciate the complexity as you see them playing. Strange tempos (7/4 for example), overlapping textures, blistering solos... The drummer, the bass player and the guitar man impressed me the most. What they do is not easily affordable for every musician, which is a counterproof of the complexity of Shpongle tunes in comparison to other artists (take Shulman or Androcell, for example, which I do love in any case, not to mention goa-trance).

Thanks to the creator of this intelligent topic and cheers all

Suttree

• Like 1

If you decompose a psytrance track into its bare components, there is nothing really that stands out: samples, filters, rhythm to name some. Is it complex? No, it isn't. The appeal of psytrance lies in the artist's, call it, ingenuity to piece those components together.

Does good music have to be complex? Nope!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KgpEru9lhw

There is nothing technically difficult, yet it's so amazing to listen to!

• Like 1

If you decompose a psytrance track into its bare components, there is nothing really that stands out: samples, filters, rhythm to name some. Is it complex? No, it isn't. The appeal of psytrance lies in the artist's, call it, ingenuity to piece those components together.Does good music have to be complex? Nope!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KgpEru9lhwThereis nothing technically difficult, yet it's so amazing to listen to!

totally agree. Complex? Almost never - Beautiful? Very often
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From a purely musical theory and rhythmic standpoint most of it isn't very complex, but psy isn't just about the melodies/harmonies. As others have mentioned it's also about all the little ways they tweak the sound itself using synths/effects/computers. We are capable of producing sounds these days which would have been unimaginable decades ago. That can be said of all electronic music genres (and even electric guitars/instruments with all sorts of pedals/effects) to some degree but a lot of psytrance takes it to a different level.

Complexity doesn't necessarily make music better either. I like lots of jazz and classical music which most people consider to be "complex" but I also enjoy some simple rock/blues riffs belted out on a guitar, a simple melody being warped in a psytrance track, etc. It's all about how the music touches your brain/soul/whatever. Even if you go back to classical probably the most famous and well known little riff/melody is the beginning of Beethoven's 5th Symphony which is about as simple as music can get.

From a purely musical theory and rhythmic standpoint most of it isn't very complex, but psy isn't just about the melodies/harmonies. As others have mentioned it's also about all the little ways they tweak the sound itself using synths/effects/computers. We are capable of producing sounds these days which would have been unimaginable decades ago. That can be said of all electronic music genres (and even electric guitars/instruments with all sorts of pedals/effects) to some degree but a lot of psytrance takes it to a different level.Complexity doesn't necessarily make music better either. I like lots of jazz and classical music which most people consider to be "complex" but I also enjoy some simple rock/blues riffs belted out on a guitar, a simple melody being warped in a psytrance track, etc. It's all about how the music touches your brain/soul/whatever. Even if you go back to classical probably the most famous and well known little riff/melody is the beginning of Beethoven's 5th Symphony which is about as simple as music can get.

I agree on everything, especially the sentence 'Complexity doesn't necessarily make music better'. That's for sure
  • Like 1