How do you listen/curate your music?

trancedigital

I've been listening to music exclusively on headphones since the past couple years. I used to have a nice 2.1 system, with floor standing speakers, but had to sell it as the neighbors started complaining :P. Now I really miss listening to music loud. Headphones give the intimate feel with more clarity and separation, especially for ambient music, but I miss the feel of music in the body as in the thumping bass.

This brings me to what I have noticed. Some songs may not sound as good with headphones but come to life on a 2.1 system. I've started rating the tracks as I listen to them (on headphones) and then make a playlist of my favorites for future listens. The tracks which I've not liked do not make this playlist. Now, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on tracks which may not sound good on headphones but shine on a 2.1 system? Have you experienced anything like this? If so, what is the best way to curate music I wonder.

Do you listen to your music using either headphones/2.1 or both headphones and 2.1 system to get the best of both worlds? In any case, how has your listening habit/experience shaped the way you curate your music?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

• Like 1

i mostly "curate" music with headphones. anything psy that gets a good rating lands in my normal playlist that's on all the time when i'm home, so from the second listen it's mostly monitors. sometimes it's only then that a track truly shines (and i might go back to the album to re-evaluate it), but that doesn't happen too often. usually i'll rather think "wtf is it playing that horrible, annoying track" and then proceed to correct an overly positive rating ;)

• Like 1

Since I've had a kid, I listen mostly with headphones. But decent ones (AKG K240 MK2 at home / Creative Labs Aurvana In-Ear 3+ at work).

Before that I was listening on an equally decent hifi system (Cambridge amplifier + my good old Jamo loudspeakers).

Nothing too expensive because like everyone else here my audition isn't mint, but decent and not bassy (or it hurts after a few hours).

I miss using the hifi system BADLY. Sometimes a track is good at the vibrations it gives and headphones, now matter how good they are, can give you the feeling. IMO that's the way to go for "curation".

• Like 2

I have a 7.1 system at home but it's been a while since I used it to play music loud, if I try my wife complains so I listen mostly now through headphones. I've gotten through a lot of cans but I finally found the perfect ones for me and amazingly they're actually iems not full sized headphones. The JVC HX-850s are my perfect match and sound better for me than other headphone I've tried, even ones 5 times the price. I listen on these about 6 hours a day and they're not fatiguing. The only thing I prefer about using the stereo system is the vibration of really bassy music through my whole body but I don't play it loud enough often enough any more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i cure myself first the music ... i dont think about it

one love

peace

I miss using the hifi system BADLY.

then why dont you buy one man? you should fuck sake!

Definitely earphone, for two reasons:

- better appreciate subtleties

- don't bug my siblings and neighbhours.

Sometimes, when I home alone and if the time is proper (not at 3 a.m.) I stream it into a couple of Bose speakers via Bluetooth (using a Bluetooth receiver). Less fidelity, more sustain

• Like 3

Definitely earphone, for two reasons:

- better appreciate subtleties

- don't bug my siblings and neighbhours.

Sometimes, when I home alone and if the time is proper (not at 3 a.m.) I stream it into a couple of Bose speakers via Bluetooth (using a Bluetooth receiver). Less fidelity, more sustain

yea im same i use headphones all the time. my studio speakers gave me enough problems as it is with neighbors . i cant be arsed i use monitor studio headphones

i dont need people fucking knockin my door because of da fucking noise i dont want problems with anybody thats just me

• Like 1

During the weeks I mostly listen to new music on my computer, with Creative Gigaworks T20. They are good enough for mp3/youtube. While at work I just use my phone.

And I have my hifi system.

PMC GB1 speakers.

Plinius 2100i amp.

Naim CD5i-2 cd player.

Pro-Ject RPM-6 turntable.

When I have the time to actually sit down and listen, the soundscape always blow my mind. But I'm not in the sweetspot always. It still sounds good anyway. :)

• Like 2

I hate headphones with a passion and only use them when DJing, or in rare cases on long and boring bus/train/airplane rides (which doesn't happen too often).

I live on my own so I don't need headphones at home. I have a pair of Adam A7x studio monitors as my "computer speakers" so to say. I listen at quite moderate volumes, no complaints from neighbours yet :)

Now, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on tracks which may not sound good on headphones but shine on a 2.1 system? Have you experienced anything like this?

Maybe not exactly the same but I've always had a problem with the sound of Pleiadians - I.F.O. It mostly sounds like shit on my monitors (remastered or not), it sounded like shit when they played live at a club in Helsinki, and at ZNA gathering too with a Funktion One rig. This summer at Kosmos Festival in Finland there was an oldschool goa DJ set on saturday evening, and they played amongst everything else a Pleiadians track (fuck me for never remembering which track is which...) and it sounded fucking awesome, so that was kind of an oddly satisfying moment :)

• Like 2

At home I'm mostly listening with headphones, ATH-M50's, they're pretty good but I still miss hearing and feeling the sound like others said. Mostly thats not an option for me though as we are in a small apartment for now and the walls are not very thick lol.. Also, trance in general the constant kick/bass sounds really travel and easily piss off neighbours so I try to be respectfull. Sometimes if I've had a few too many drinks or something I forget that and crank up the hifi late at night, until the gf reminds me im being a dick! :)

• Like 1

At home I'm mostly listening with headphones, ATH-M50's, they're pretty good but I still miss hearing and feeling the sound like others said. Mostly thats not an option for me though as we are in a small apartment for now and the walls are not very thick lol.. Also, trance in general the constant kick/bass sounds really travel and easily piss off neighbours so I try to be respectfull. Sometimes if I've had a few too many drinks or something I forget that and crank up the hifi late at night, until the gf reminds me im being a dick! :)

My brother lives in a old detached house in England. He can play music as loud as he wants and it's not going to bother anyone. Unfortunately he didn't seem to understand when he visited me in Japan, when I was living in an apartment with basically paper walls, that loud trance at 3am was not appropriate.

• Like 3