A simple terminology tutorial

Anu Katariina

Hello everyone! To most of the forum members terminology of production is self-clear. I have been interested in it, am interested in it, but since I don't have a patience to find e.g. YouTube tutorials, I'd really appreciate if ya ppl would explain me some ground terminology. It bothers me because I don't often understand "tech-talk": It is needed for example to make a review. So if you wise ppl are willing to help me: give some good examples of what is a "kick", "percussion" etc. etc. If you post e.g. an YouTube video to explain a particular feature, I'd like to know the spot at which minute this feature appears :)

So, a kick is as we hear @ 0.40-0.53 and percussion is @ 0:55? Yeah, I am using AB as an example, sorry for those who ain't comfortable with that :)

percussion is @ 0:55?

i wouldn't refer to the hihats as percussion. hats are hats, even if they're technically percussion. in electronic music they fulfill a different role than other percussion instruments (drums, shakers, ...).

but what people refer to as percussion can vary a lot. i've even heard someone talking about the kick as percussion...

i wouldn't refer to the hihats as percussion. hats are hats, even if they're technically percussion. in electronic music they fulfill a different role than other percussion instruments (drums, shakers, ...).

but what people refer to as percussion can vary a lot. i've even heard someone talking about the kick as percussion...

Necessary clarification :)

Let's not turn this thread to Filipe, please. I have had enough of that drama. Music is good and goes for an example.

I am interested in how you ppl describe the "vibrato" in the first 14 seconds of this track. Does this kind of a sound have a term?

It's a vibrato ;) Or may be a trancegate, hard to tell what exactly was used because of the reverb tail.

Vibrato is a very fast steady pattern where the sound doesn't dissapear completely but smoothly fades between the loud pieces, trancegate is more abrupt and may have more compelx pattern.

A trance gate in purest form is here at 1:57 (sorry for extreme cheese)

Oops, I guess I'll now have to explain what is reverb tail :unsure:

Vibrato is a very fast steady pattern where the sound doesn't dissapear completely but smoothly fades between the loud pieces

Nope, that's tremolo, or amplitude modulation as a technical term. Vibrato is pitch modulation.

• Like 2

I am interested in how you ppl describe the "vibrato" in the first 14 seconds of this track. Does this kind of a sound have a term?

A perfectly ordinary "trance gate", an effect where the sound turns on and (probably not completely) off in a rhythmic manner. There are numerous ways to do this but I won't get into them now (and I probably don't even know of all of them).

• Like 1

Nope, that's tremolo, or amplitude modulation as a techical term. Vibrato is pitch modulation.

Indeed, in English vibrato refers only to pitch modulation, I was confused by the Russian word which sounds the same but may mean both pitch modulation and amplitude modulation (tremolo).

This trance gate is so nostalgic to me. Used to listen to lots of normal trance in late 90's/early 2000's and used to love this specific feature: now I know what it is called!

@ recursion loop: you don't need to explain what is a reverb tail: I know what is a reverb, falsely called echo, but echo bounces back and comes towards a person and reverb is like "acoustics" of the room continuing the sound.

I'd like to know what is a lead. Because that term is so frequent: leads are like this and leads are like that :)

Lead is usually a synth which plays the main melody or the main riff.

Makes sense :)

Still a few questions left but this night is devoted for football-not-soccer :P

Makes sense :)

Still a few questions left but this night is devoted for football-not-soccer :P

football-not-soccer; is that hand egg or Ozzie rules?

In both Europe and America now, I thought it was all Football (is soccer) :P

In this tutorial I am using stuff that I am familiar with..soo..this bonus track The Unkonwn Helions Guard is more than familiar to me..auxiliariaris appear e.g 1:14:38, even though this same "sound element" is merged at least a couple minutes before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-P3W4W8bds