04: Pathways
05: Science Friction
06: Strawberry Fields
07: Unfold Oneself into Endlessness
08: PsiloCybian & Deimos - Waveform with a mind of its own
09: Yield
10: NLO
11: Let me tell you about a weird Dream

So we all know Sasa Dukic (Psilocybian) from his fine work in the full-on arena with albums like Dreamtime and Godhead. Both great stuff from a guy who likes to put a pinch of goa in all that he does. For his latest he delivers something that has been on his mind for quite a while. A chill-out album. It took me a long time to review this because I had the hardest time getting into it. And I'm lazy. Well, mostly because I'm lazy. This isn't the dreamy soundscape stuff you would expect from Ultimae or the crazy psychedelic madness from the likes of Shpongle. I suppose you would classify it as psychill (if you must), but it's really all over the map. In speaking with Sasa he basically said he wanted to make a chill out album that people could dance to.

DqIEUnB.gif

Say what now? The name chill out means to, well...chill out. Relax. Not dance. That's what the other stuff is for. So I had to wrap my brain around that mindf*ck. And let me tell you this isn't music that will help you escape, or drift off into memory. That's not what he wanted. A lot of the tracks are big beated. Don't think that's a word, but you know what I mean. Head nodding beats. He's not here to put you to sleep, but to wake your punk ass up and keep you grooving. He mentioned that this album was made without any inspiration from other artists so he took the music wherever it wanted to go without any distractions. Good for him. My favorite was Science Friction with its big beat and Shpongley vocal tacet. And he kept the goa special sauce in there, don't worry. It's really a very different type of chill album than I'm used to, but I think it hits some psychedelic notes. It has some really good melodies and as I mentioned he wanted you to dance with this so that's in here. He floats among all the styles, breakbeat, downtempo, ambient, even a little drum n bass. So there's probably something for everyone here.

Not my favorite chill album, but an interesting foray into chill from a guy who knows how to craft a psytrance track.

BMSS

Psyshop