1. Incognito 10:12

2. Vivid Dream 11:43

3. Corona 10:44

4. The Blue 10:53

5. Locos 11:03

6. Oasis 10:26

7. Re Transmission 10:46

8. Mad DMA 9:36

Oforia is back. As far as I know he had been away from the scene, production wise, for over 6 years. Personally, I never listened to anything from Oforia that came after Off the ground (Let it beat and everything else), and I did not really know what to expect with Read more... and a pleasant surprise it is.

Read more is a long album of 8 tracks for a total lenght of 85 minutes.

The album opens softly with Incognito, here nothing really similar to old Oforia but a soft Phonokol-like bassline (reminds me California sunshine), fine opener but nothing memorable. But the album gets more and more interesting, the second track definitely has an old school flavour and more energy but the catchy tracks here are for sure from the middle of the album until the end, especially Locos, Oasis and Re Transmission.

I still can't decide which one of Oasis or Re Transmission is my favourite. Anyway, it has some epic synths, goa vibes all over the place and perfect production. These two tracks will absolutely delight old school goa lovers.

Locos is more of a dancefloor killer, it sounds full-onish and should be played a lot at festivals.

The whole album sounds very mature with some laid back tracks and some others quite spectacular. Most of the music sounds more morning than dark, so forget the dark old style of Oforia, that being said basslines are quite aggressive at times. The melodies are more conventional compared to what Ofer used to create in the past and the music sounds really modern with a progressive/morning full-on touch here and there nicely put together with modern goa-psychedelic morning trance sounds. Really pleased with this album and I recommend everyone to check it out.

8/10.

To buy: http://classic.beatport.com/release/read-more/1762291

• Like 1

When I first saw that a new album from Offer was coming out I was sceptical. I thought another crap album from a veteran just trying to make some quick bucks from the resurgence of Goa (yes KoxBox, I'm looking at you). But then I listened some samples, and then the album. And now I wish it was published in cd format as well :(

Vivid Dream so far has been my personal favorite. Really inspiring work, filled with dreamy sequences, intelligent arrangement, but sounding very eclectic and progressive. Sometime you just need a little bit more laid-back approach.

I love Corona´s bassline a lot, and that mello that first hits in, so freakin oldschool feeling, i just love it! Nontypical GOA stuff, so far as i hear.

The Blue also catched my ear, it reminded me of James Holden type of trance, only in psy/goastic fashion - very well done! :D

Oasis caught my ear because it´s an slow stomper with AP like mello, something that I always get caught on. But simplicity of this track is what took me most, not much elements and yet it creates nice flow - progressively going towards the end with small breaks to add some more heat after! Way to go!

I will have to throw a more clean listen at home to this (listening to it in pieces here @ work), but I already like most of what i hear. Well measured sound with nice arrangement and mellodies... Looks like a succes!

Mad DMA definately blew me off. I felt like AP early era, bassline and that subtle acid undertake reminded me of AP´s Dancing Galaxy, and he obvioussly was deeply inspired with it. But that´s very good. He did very, very good recall of that kinda atmosphere with Mad DMA.

Insta classic if you ask me. And sound wise - guy is top of the Goa production atm I would dare to say. Like i wrote on Facebook, he just added few more latter to climb when it comes to quality of goatrance sound nowdays.

just to compare what i meant (pay attention to bassline mello transition and that subtle acid line going somwhere after 0:40 - i recognized it instantly. which is good thing - it´s catchy):

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice album. Melodic but not cheesy, clever sound-design, tasteful arrangements, crystal-clear mixing. Ticks all the boxes for me.

right word would be - different - that´s what hooked me up in the first place...
  • Like 1

a really nice album. he doesn't care at all about conforming to a particular genre (i'd still say it's all goa, but the influences from other areas of psy are numerous). it's really creative with unexpected developments in almost every track. there are plenty of unusual sounds even though acidlines and mwnn-like sine melodies are abundant. still, there is never a "melody overload" you might find with many newschool goa tracks.

the similarities to old oforia are very few. i'd rather place this album somewhere between mwnn, old koxbox and new born with a touch of blackstarrfinale. though it's not very close to any of them.

even though i'm just on my second listen through the album, i know it's definitely going to be among the higher places in my top 10 for this year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tnx Pad for mentioning this album in the Goad review thread. I didnt know this existed. :)

This is like a really cute kid born with a full head of hair from mom Goa and dad Psy. Im in progress of going through this one but I gotta say Im loving it.

• Like 1

I can hear the goa inside this but its definitely a mix of many genres. I dislike the morning elements and the fact that is sounds light but this is amazing. Locos and Oasis are my favorite. Those storming moments in both tracks brought tears to my eyes. Really god damn good!

I would really love to see this on Bandcamp. I probably wont buy it otherwise

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for epic reading posture/pose lol

• 2 weeks later...

Due to crazy off-topic discussion in promotional thread (which now seems to have been cleaned up?), I'm posting the info here:

Oforia "Read More" is getting a physical 2CD release by Zion604, with 5 additional tracks:

1. Incognito
2. Vivid Dream
3. Corona
4. The blue
5. Locos
6. Oasis
7. Re-Transmission
8. Mad DMA
9. Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine (Covered By Oforia)
10. Unnatural Oforia - White Holes
11. Oforia - Dimensional exploration
12. Solaris - Extra Mundane
13. Oforia - Special offer

link: https://zion604records.bandcamp.com/album/read-more-album-2-cds-le

Go reserve your copy & receive the files (mp3/wav/flac) immediately :)

Well crafted but I thought it was a little bland.

7 / 10

Hmm, pretty short review but actually describes my feelings quite well: there's nothing particularly wrong with it, quite the opposite - it's very enjoyable! However, it seems to lack structure. I mean in each track, every few minutes everything changes and while normally I like that in music, here I can't shake the feeling that particular segments are not really connected to each other, almost to the point that you could pick & mix those segments between the tracks and no one would notice... Furthermore, the above underlines the fact that this music is heavily loop-based, i.e. it's very "even", "boxy" or quantised not helped by the loops usually being very short: 4 to 8 beats / kicks-long. It sounds great, it's clear that Ofer knows his craft yet the tracks somehow lack identity, their individual meaning like the ones on "Delirious" had... It definitely makes a very good first impression, with the uplifting, happy but not cheesy atmosphere but - so far - I can't see nothing more beyond that surface layer.

I might need more time with it, but so far it's a strong 3/5 only.

Hmm, pretty short review but actually describes my feelings quite well: there's nothing particularly wrong with it, quite the opposite - it's very enjoyable! However, it seems to lack structure. I mean in each track, every few minutes everything changes and while normally I like that in music, here I can't shake the feeling that particular segments are not really connected to each other, almost to the point that you could pick & mix those segments between the tracks and no one would notice... Furthermore, the above underlines the fact that this music is heavily loop-based, i.e. it's very "even", "boxy" or quantised not helped by the loops usually being very short: 4 to 8 beats / kicks-long. It sounds great, it's clear that Ofer knows his craft yet the tracks somehow lack identity, their individual meaning like the ones on "Delirious" had... It definitely makes a very good first impression, with the uplifting, happy but not cheesy atmosphere but - so far - I can't see nothing more beyond that surface layer.

I might need more time with it, but so far it's a strong 3/5 only.

I always love reading your super-techie reviews/critique, I might actually learn something. But also I am very glad that I dont have such good ears and knowledge as you to be able to hear all those little things that can ruin the music for me. :)

Ignorance indeed is bliss

I always love reading your super-techie reviews/critique, I might actually learn something. But also I am very glad that I dont have such good ears and knowledge as you to be able to hear all those little things that can ruin the music for me. :)

Ignorance indeed is bliss

I don't want in any way to suggest that you're ignorant, but I agree - knowing too much about music production does take away a lot of magic... :(

That's why I'm always so hyped about more non-conformist stuff (like recent Nervasystem, for example) because when I listen to it I'm constantly surprised how it progresses, what kind of sounds are used, how it's all pieced together, etc. Here? It's mostly very, very good, but also very *typical* morning full-on stuff: "obvious" bass lines, chord progressions, acid tweaks, simple beats, breaks and build-ups. It's fine, but I'll know all about it after 5-10 listens.