N5K4O9J.jpg

Artist: Lunar Dawn

TItle: Triglav

Label: Neogoa Records

Date: April, 2016

1. Jav

2. Nav

3. Prav

4. Golden Arms Of Kresnik (Journey Into Sound Remix)

5. Svarog's Celestial Fire (Proxeeus Remix)

6. Golden Arms of Kresnik (Lectro Spektral Daze Remix)

7. Svarog's Celestial Fire (Dragon Twins Remix)

uGV3VRG.gif

"Darkness!

No parents!

Super rich!

Kinda makes it better!"

I did not realize that Triglav was also the name of a heavy metal band from the Ukraine. But I ain't about that. Gotta love Neogoa. A label whose only goal was to release quality goa trance for free has certainly blossomed into something quite irreplaceable. While they still stay true to the mantra of goa trance liberation they've also dipped their toe into limited album sales. To which I say thank God because the music they release is certainly worth having in physical form.

Lunar Dawn recently released their debut album Kolovrat which was steeped in Slavic folklore and mythology. Triglav is a continuation of that with 4 extra tracks (remixes of two tracks from that debut album) for those that order the digipak. This duo is no stranger to an album full of remixes or have you forgotten the Blessings From Irij digital release? On top of that the artwork in the form of wallpapers are also included. The cover is quite intricate and invites the eye to search out new apects every time I look at it.

Jav certainly sets the medieval atmosphere with a very folksy and Games of Thrones gravitas. You can just feel the mud of the land and the privileged royalty. Nav is where we get down to the business of goa trance. And also where we get a real world instrument contribution on the bouzouki from Amir John Haddad whcih adds to that ethnic vibe. I'll be honest I felt very European listening to that. Prav for me was the weakest track that felt too full-oney without any of the feelings of the others.

But then we get to the remixes and it's a tough job to remix great tracks. One thing that is a must for a remix is that it cannot be a carbon copy of the original with just a few different sounds. And the two chosen for remixes were some of the best tracks on Kolovrat. Golden Arms of Kresnik and Svarog's Celestial Fire are such epic tracks that carry the medieval folk melodies as a shield on one arm and a battle axe of goa trance in the other hand. The remix by J.I.S. gives it some hyper motion with other melodies and a break that was quite appealing. The LSD remix of the same track however felt unremarkable and inferior to the original in pretty much every way. Too herky jerky for my tastes. Proxeeus had me with that 303 wobble and I never looked back while the Dragon Twins applied a little BOTB acidic flare to their effort. Both with great results.

I appreciate the effort that went into this and for Lunar Dawn and Neogoa to offer this as a physical release well I think it's got its place in my collection. Happy to have it there. That said it's not the shiniest gem in the Neogoa crown with a couple of tracks that fall short of greatness. Sometimes I felt that it was seemed more important to incorporate the ethnic mythological feel in the tracks that the actual goa trance took a back seat. I didn't feel that way with Kolovrat. It was so deep and involved and struck a harmonious balance. That said the majority of the music found within is really good. Sound quality is beyond reproach from my ears and the art is a joy to behold.

Free at Ektoplazm, but don't be a cheap f*ck...buy the digipak and get the 4 extra tracks.

• Like 3

Copy pasting my thoughts on this album from the promo thread.

For me Jav is the winner. Real beauty this one. It reminded me of my childhood when I used to travel from my village to a nearby town for school and there used to be this long line of tribal people with bullock carts. They used to sing their folk songs in a similar rhythm while moving along the road. Thanks for refreshing some fond memories :)

Nav is a good track, last 2 min's are nice also the progressive parts. Need to listen to it a bit more. Can't get past Jav :)

Prav is a let down and the weakest track from the EP IMO. Got nothing on it.

Please dont go down the no-feelings-fullon road. Full on can certainly be good(Quijan) I know. The third track & the thought about the future plans that you guys might have, scared me.

• Like 2

There is actually 4 metal bands named Triglav, all from fellow Slavic countries, since Triglav itself has an important place and meaning in our native faith. Thank you for the review Mike and of course thank you for being supportive since the first physical release. Due to the fact that I've been deeply involved into making of Triglav from the conceptual point of view, I'm happy it invokes that indo-european vibe, unlike most of nowdays Goa trance music. The approach towards the melodies and it's structure was crucial point and it feels great to see that some people are slowly recognizing the difference between authentic ethno/folklore sound from certain area and highly popular oriental/phyrgian scales dominating Goa music. However, Prav as a stand-alone track here is the only one that doesn't have any ethnic elements and it somehow sounds different than previous tracks from Triglav (and Kolovrat as well), that being said I'm happy it took different route, aiming the less-melodic type of psychedelia with more eclectic and progressive arrangement. Speaking about the remixes, I'm glad you recognized the BOTFB vibe in Dragon Twins, probably the most underrated remix, but for me personally one of the best tracks on whole release.

• Like 2

Mike, thanks for outstanding review as always! Starkraver, well - it is very hard to make this type of music in continuum and not to repeat yourself - that´s what is on my mind all the time. Kolovrat was produced for such a long period because we continuously altered stuff if it sounded "same-ish". On Triglav it went out like: full folk - folk mixed with goa - goa :)

About future plans... We don´t aim on full-on horizons. As I see it from here/now - it´ll be oldschool unreleased materials with oldschool vibe, although still pretty different sounding than usual oldschool. We´ll see, we tend to keep Slavic vibe for sure so the spirit remains in same direction!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

. The third track & the thought about the future plans that you guys might have, scared me.

Still scared? Except that I don't believe you.

• Like 1

Except that I don't believe you.

I never asked you too ;)

I'm optimistic. Lets see where they take us.

It may be the best release for you but for me it isn't :)

Take the remixes out and you have one very good track, one good track and one average track. Simply put, I expect more.

• Like 1

Nope, Kolovrat is better. I also like some old tracks, e.g. Fields Of Siberia, and some new tracks, e.g. A New Hope, better. What do you think about the latter? Any new hope?

Well, to add: The artwork is nearly the best I've seen. Only Cronomi's V/A People Walk Funny artwork exceeds this one :) And Triglav CD print is even better than online photo: it has deep, shining colours, a real treat to have in the CD collection :)

• Like 2

Well, to add: The artwork is nearly the best I've seen. Only Cronomi's V/A People Walk Funny artwork exceeds this one :) And Triglav CD print is even better than online photo: it has deep, shining colours, a real treat to have in the CD collection :)

I spent one whole day adjusting the original paint to make the print look perfect. As we disscussed, it looks like some childrens book, colorful and happy :):D

• Like 2

Full-on? Haha :):ph34r::lol:

I've just listened to the Prav track and I think it is really good - yes, it may be cathegorized as fullon, and it is fullon of my very favourite kind, trancey and melodic. I would love to hear an album of tracks like that.

But I generally prefer fullon to goa.

Prav for me was the weakest track that felt too full-oney without any of the feelings of the others.

:P :P Got ya rich!

Its nice that Psynews is finally having some diversity (Rloop Appreciating fullon)

It would be awesome if you can win over both the camps with next release :)

• Like 1

prav is no fullon. it has a few fullon elements, but really is goa. if borrowing a few things from psy that was popular after the time of oldschool goa makes a track fullon, then almost all newschool is not goa. (i'm currently working on a track that leans more towards fullon than this one, and i still think of it as goa).

prav is also my favourite on this release. nicely melodic and with a lot of power.

nav is not my cup of tea. too much "balkan" sound and melodies.

jav is better, but not electronic enough for me. i loved the interplay of the real world instruments and electronic music for instance on blessings from irij on kolovrat. with jav it seems like it's not instruments embedded in an electronic track, but rather the other way round.

still, you immediately notice that it's all quality music, even if it doesn't conform to ones specific taste.

• Like 2

After all this talk, I had to revisit the Prav track. Its a nice track.

But ,

right after that I revisited "Blessings from Irji" now that's a monster of a track. A track to fall to fall in love with :) original mix. Its been years, but yet I vividly remember it. And I dont even remember the last time when I played it.

If you take out my brains and analyse the data, you'll see LD will be mapped to Blessings from Irji. I will be waiting for the day when they'll outdo that track :) (all personal opinion/taste of course)

• Like 1

When I first saw the comments about Prav being full-on I laughed at the good joke. Then I tried to understand where that impression comes from. As for now it has been discussed by a few and what consoles me is that even producers and an experienced listener (Starkraver) and an experienced reviewer + a label-head in his own way of commenting aren't unanimous about the genre. And I imagined I am the only one here who isn't a pro in genre definitions, heh :D

To add (because definitions are interesting): when I last night made my little review underneath MDK's review of Omnivox-Fragments Of Evolution I was thinking about this Prav discussion. Michael didn't utter a word of that album being full-onish even though compared to Prav it is. But it is not full-on either, it is goa trance with that reveb effect making it sound a bit full-onish.

If I heard Prav without knowing who made it I'd say smth like "fullon made by a goa producer". The sound choises are more goaish but the rhytm section, song structure and melodics are more like late 00's melodic fullon (Ephedrix, Peace Maker, Astrix maybe).

But if fact these genre defintions are really blurred and that's a good thing. What is not so good thing is that when someone known on the goa scene makes a track which doesn't stick to classic goa formula (booming kick, 303s, chaotic melodies in "ethnic" scales) people are telling him "dude, wtf, your track sounds like fullon and fullon = crap" ;)

• Like 1

What is not so good thing is that when someone known on the goa scene makes a track which doesn't stick to classic goa formula (booming kick, 303s, chaotic melodies in "ethnic" scales) people are telling him "dude, wtf, your track sounds like fullon and fullon = crap" ;)

I dont see anyone saying that :)