2. Elliptical

3. Spiral Dive Remix

4. Exostatic

5. Rossignol Perché

6. Exostatic 3rd Mix

7. Planet 4

8. Whale Way Express

9. Noise

I've never cared for the music of Toi Doi.

2PHeLO3.gif

I bought Technologic long ago and really had trouble getting through it. This wasn't the type of goa trance that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but I couldn't find a review for that album here. Maybe y'all are just some lazy f*cks. Gilles Coia makes a different sort of goa trance that doesn't have a lot in common with projects like MFG, Astral, Etnica...His sound is more experimental and shies away from the intense layers and over the top melodies. I believe his sound takes some work to really absorb and process effectively. Then again, maybe I'm a lazy f*ck.

The 2000's were pretty productive for him, yet it wasn't until the Mother Pitch EP in 2011 that I began to give his music another chance. So here comes Suntrip and DAT Records with their latest offering of music from the cagey veteran. These are tracks from the late 90's and early 2000's that promise a darker and more acidic sound. And right out of the gate he delivers. Pixel Voyager is a long, entrancing bit of nastiness that immediately becomes my favorite track from Toi Doi. It gives and takes while it grows. Granted the bar was low for me, but he certainly now has my attention.

And then by the third track he lost it. Psychedelic? Yeah I suppose, but the Spiral Remix was also light on melody and manages to plod forward without many dynamics. Exostatic exhibits a violent electricity that I really liked. As the track went along it picked up intensity and I found myself in a deep nebula of bliss. Unfortunately this album is a bit of an up and down ride. Case in point, after the mildly eyebrow raising Rossignol Perche' track he lays the 303 hammer down with the Exostatic 3rd mix. Pure goa! Just when I think he's going to string a few bangers together, he kinda switches on the auto-pilot. Nothing bad mind you, but nothing that requires the back button.

"Everyone who likes their goa-trance different..." That's the tagline from Suntrip's shop and it's accurate. Nobody is going to confuse this with Afgin or Artifact303. Different is a good way to describe it and it surely is a deviation from their normal stuff. As I mentioned it's a bit of an up and down ride with some really good tracks and some that could arguably be labelled filler. Certainly not the pinnacle of their catalog. However, the fa ct that they are taking chances and presenting something different is something that should be applauded. They have been accused of producing the same generic sound in the past and clearly they've listened to what their fans want. The sound quality is excellent and if you're a fan of his music than I can't think of any reason not to purchase it.

I did.

Suntrip

Psyshop

Beatspace

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As far as I am concerned, can't say I am disappointed. First 2 tracks got me a bit scared, they are very repetitive. First thing that stroke me, the music is trance inducing, and very technoish. This is very underground and less goa than Technologic. But for me it works, at the beginning I feared a very repetitive album, but there is enough variety (not a lot, but still enough) to make the journey interesting.

Also, the mastering is very good, I think Schuldt made a great job and I guess this kind of psychedelic trance suits him, in the end the sound quality is IMO clearly better than Technologic. I like Exostatic the most, very cold and manly track. I can understand this music will not please everyone. I reckon if you are into the most technoish tracks of Ka-sol you should find this CD appealing.

Useless to say, this is the opposite of the usual Suntrip sound and I am not surprised the initial plan was for DAT Records to release it. Not mainly focused on goa-trance...but pure party sound this is.

7.5/10.

• 4 months later...

I Love the first 3 tracks of this album, very complex intelligent music, especially track 2, my favorite out of this album.

Track 4 is the only track i dont enjoy, and imo it does not fit in this album, its too loud, too 'in your face fuck you im going to explode in your face  tho i lack the complexity of 'Technologic'.

Especially after the first three hypnotic multi-layered tracks at the start.

It's like the album didnt know where to evolve from there.

I love Toi Doi, but i dont consider this an artist album, but as a compilation of tracks from different times by him, could be 

Cool if there was more emphasis on the editing.

So i ripped this bad boy and planted some tracks into my own burned compilations and the music shines.

Track 2 is insane

The rest is great (Noise/Spiral Dive remix/Planet 4-such a groovy track, late flying rhino style/Pixel Voyager.

So...

Thank god for Toi Doi :)

Aaaaand hoping for more DAT/Suntip Co-Ops.

• 2 months later...

Anybody who isn't sure whether or not they like this should try listening loud, at night, driving on a highway. Just be careful, it'll make you want to go faster and faster!

It's proper trance, and yes, it's very repetitive. The first 6 songs are, in my opinion, excellent. Ideal for certain moods and activities. You just need to explore them to find out when the music works for you. It's worth it.

• Like 1

My first Toi Doi album. I love all the tracks except track 2. Exostatic 3rd Mix is my top favourite. Worth the money.Sound / production quality is really good as well.

Does anyone here remembers an old Toi Doi downtempo track from the days of MP3.com? It had an old lady speaking to a (apparently) mechanised alien voice, or something like that. The sample probably came from a 90s movie? Very cute sounds.

Does anyone here remembers an old Toi Doi downtempo track from the days of MP3.com? It had an old lady speaking to a (apparently) mechanised alien voice, or something like that. The sample probably came from a 90s movie? Very cute sounds.

Going to guess it probably came from the Psychedelic Home album

I honestly cant remember. There might be a chance it was an extra track. But since i havent been able to find the album online somewhere cant check :(

That album was released on mp3.com. I no longer have my files but draeke might, you can try asking him.

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2016 at 10:18 AM, Manuser said:

As far as I am concerned, can't say I am disappointed. First 2 tracks got me a bit scared, they are very repetitive. First thing that stroke me, the music is trance inducing, and very technoish. This is very underground and less goa than Technologic. But for me it works, at the beginning I feared a very repetitive album, but there is enough variety (not a lot, but still enough) to make the journey interesting.

Also, the mastering is very good, I think Schuldt made a great job and I guess this kind of psychedelic trance suits him, in the end the sound quality is IMO clearly better than Technologic. I like Exostatic the most, very cold and manly track. I can understand this music will not please everyone. I reckon if you are into the most technoish tracks of Ka-sol you should find this CD appealing.

Useless to say, this is the opposite of the usual Suntrip sound and I am not surprised the initial plan was for DAT Records to release it. Not mainly focused on goa-trance...but pure party sound this is.

7.5/10.

Two years later I have to review my mark to 6/10 (who cares anyway :P ) the track I liked the most at the beginning got me bored (Exostatic) but actually I find Exostatic 3rd Mix much better and certainly more friendly for my poor ears. There are annoying moments here and there, like this high pitched sound in the last track. A bit of a mixed bag but still applause the effort to produce something pretty much unique in the scene.