Music reviews

Oopie

Wasn't this site made to replace the old "trip" website ?

I'm here since Feb 2000, so I'd say no. Children - the original creator of goatrance.fr - was posting a lot of his reviews on trip (in his unforgettable style "Track #... is a bad track, Track #... is a good track" :)) and was encouraging users there to check his new forum. For some time they were both active I think, so I don't think it was meant as a replacement - just a complementary source, like isratrance.com (RIP)

But why do you need reviews when you can actually listen to whole album before you buy it? Eh?

I don't have the time to listen to everything that's out there, for example. Also following favourite reviewers allows me to find music I'd never thought of checking out. Lastly, for me it's always interesting to see how others perceive music, which elements resonate with them, what is important and what works.

• Like 1

I don't have the time to listen to everything that's out there, for example. Also following favourite reviewers allows me to find music I'd never thought of checking out. Lastly, for me it's always interesting to see how others perceive music, which elements resonate with them, what is important and what works.

+1 to that.

You cannot possibly checkout each and everything that gets released. You may even miss out on a gem from your not-so favourite sub genre. That's where people with good taste and reviews come in. You simply put your faith and buy tha shit ;)

Is it like your Discogs comment ? Where you say you don't care and then ask for someone to add a release? :D

• Like 1

Let's be honest. If we didn't have T2MU then reviews would be dead years now.

Personally the reason I don't write reviews anymore are two: 1) I have a huge backlog and I don't focus too much on one release and 2) Apart from Goa releases who get lot of traffic very few people here are interested in other psytrance genres.

Is it like your Discogs comment ? Where you say you don't care and then ask for someone to add a release? :D

Sort of. Keep in mind that I actually added the release after all :P

However I don't have the time any more to venture too far away from the genres I love (Goa and Psychill). I leave that to the younger generations.

I have the labels that I trust (almost) blindly and the artists. Reviewers not any more.

Btw, anyone that wants to review Argaman ‎– Living In A Bubble? Excellent album

A lot of valid responses there!

How about we try something else and allow for reviews in a form of poll, with standardized voting ranks? This way 1st reviewer would only have to post the cover, tracklist & some links then copy / paste the poll options from review guidelines (or maybe there's a way to automate it?) and then anyone would be able to cast their vote, leaving - or not - a short comment?

I've updated the Globular "Holobiont" and JBC Arkadii "White Tiger's Empire" reviews like that, because due to number of replies & feedback I can't figure out what's the consensus there... ;):D

That's a pretty sweet idea

That way people can at least vote for what they're into if they don't have the energy to cobble together a proper review

• Like 1

People are all very busy, lots of time spent on social networks, psynews comes on top...

Reviewing times may be over.

Look at what they do on IMBD which is an old platform : just a mark / 10

Look at what they do on RottenTomatoes which is a more recent platfom: good/bad + 3 lines of review.

Maybe that's what we should do. And integrate in in facebook or soemthing.

• Like 2

People are all very busy, lots of time spent on social networks, psynews comes on top...

Look at what they do on RottenTomatoes which is a more recent platfom: good/bad + 3 lines of review.

Yeah, which is what I proposed on previous page - what do the admins / mods think of that? Can adding a poll be somehow automated? What do you think about the rating scale I used / proposed?

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/71868-va-acid-disco-zion-604/

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/71846-jbc-arkadii-white-tigers-empire-hado-records/

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/71839-globular-holobiont/

I couldn't agree more, in long terms, considering some simple Facebook plugin for this version of forum might not be a bad idea. I know it could weaken the quality of the content, but nowdays people tend to manage their free time in best possible way and you don't see that much people investing into long reviewing and giving in-depth overview of someone's work. Have a look at some random websites and you'll notice this trend. The poll option and some mini-reviews such as Antic made are actually good idea to maybe revitalize general reviews section and to draw some attention by people who are not posting on this forum, but rather reading it.

• Like 2

i think alot of discussion takes place in the promo section with comments like 'this is the shit' 'killer track' and so on... like in alot of the older review threads.

nothing wrong with it per se, but i find it sad to see a diverse discussion going on about the AliemJams album in the promo section and since now theres no review. someone missed the point there when to change the topic (promotional, prerelease-enthusiasm -> serious thoughts and feelings about the music)

people should never think and feel that their words have no value for a music discussion, even if its only a first short post. you can always edit the rest later or someone else adds missing information or whatever...

someone missed the point there when to change the topic (promotional, prerelease-enthusiasm -> serious thoughts and feelings about the music)

You mean my post there? Indeed, this happens a lot - I like to share my quick impressions in Promotional threads, because I don't think they warrant a full review yet.

Oh God, might I be the reason the reviews section is in decline?!?!? :o:lol: