Artha - Dream Telepathy

What is it? Tell me. I haven't bought/heard it yet. Is it as awesome as his first album?

Come on, you can listen to full tracks on Bandcamp:

https://cronomi.bandcamp.com/album/dream-telepathy

:)

But anyway, I think it's at least on par with 1st album - that one was more crazy, melodic / acidic, faster and more aggressive. The new one - as Ward mentioned few pages back - is more subtle, nuanced and less in-your-face. It's still Artha, with his signature swirly synth-lines, but they're not as prominent and exposed as they were on the debut. It's more focused, more grown up I'd say. I still need to give it (much) more time though, because I had a busy weekend and had maybe like 1-2 listens only.

I have some doubts with mastering, though - it is very bass-heavy, with pretty weak trebles, but maybe it's just the Bandcamp files... It's so bass heavy in fact, that for the 1st time I heard my car speakers buckling under the load and audibly distorting. I also think that because of the bass, it's a bit more quiet than their previous releases: NewBorn or Psysutra, which were - IMO - perfectly mastered. If Artha's "Faith" on V/A "If I wasn't human..." was the perfect mastering for his music and "Influencing Dreams" was on the too-compressed side, then "Dream Telepathy" is on the opposite side. However, even if it's like that on the CD it's still preferable to the 1st album's heavy compression, which made it painful to take in one go. More bass isn't as straining on the ears as piercing trebles.

Come on, you can listen to full tracks on Bandcamp:

https://cronomi.bandcamp.com/album/dream-telepathy

But anyway, I think it's at least on par with 1st album - that one was more crazy, melodic / acidic, faster and more aggressive. The new one - as Ward mentioned few pages back - is more subtle, nuanced and less in-your-face. It's still Artha, with his signature swirly synth-lines, but they're not as prominent and exposed as they were on the debut. It's more focused, more grown up I'd say. I still need to give it (much) more time though, because I had a busy weekend and had maybe like 1-2 listens only.

I have some doubts with mastering, though - it is very bass-heavy, with pretty weak trebles, but maybe it's just the Bandcamp files... It's so bass heavy in fact, that for the 1st time I heard my car speakers buckling under the load and audibly distorting. I also think that because of the bass, it's a bit more quiet than their previous releases: NewBorn or Psysutra, which were - IMO - perfectly mastered. If Artha's "Faith" on V/A "If I wasn't human..." was the perfect mastering for his music and "Influencing Dreams" was on the too-compressed side, then "Dream Telepathy" is on the opposite side. However, even if it's like that on the CD it's still preferable to the 1st album's heavy compression, which made it painful to take in one go. More bass isn't as straining on the ears as piercing trebles.

I'm very happy you noticed the difference. You have a keen ear ;)

I was very intentional and well thought, we took this decision to choose for this mastering version.

We have done two by M-Run. Mathias (Dragon Twins), dj Psara and I decided we opt for the 2nd version.

WHY? The 1st version was in our opinion on our studio monitors (Equator D7 and Adam 7) still too spiky and hurtful for the ears.

So we opt for a 2nd version where those spikes were 'reduced' and indeed the music sounded a bit more with base and the details could be heard better in the mid and high section.

The main issue is that the original tracks are mixed a bit hard on the high tones. And we wanted to avoid ear damage at all costs and no noise on the speakers. So this mastering is a compromise in a way...

• Like 1

I'm very happy you noticed the difference. You have a keen ear ;)

I was very intentional and well thought, we took this decision to choose for this mastering version.

We have done two by M-Run. Mathias (Dragon Twins), dj Psara and I decided we opt for the 2nd version.

WHY? The 1st version was in our opinion on our studio monitors (Equator D7 and Adam 7) still too spiky and heart full for the ears.

So we opt for a 2nd version where those spikes were 'reduced' and indeed the music sounded a bit more with base and the details could be heard better in the mid and high section.

The main issue is that the original tracks are mixed a bit hard on the high tones. And we wanted to avoid ear damage at all costs and no noise on the speakers. So mastering is a compromise in a way...

After more time with it I like the mastering quite a bit - it's very pleasant on the ears, which I (as a 90% headphone listener) appreciate a lot. You made the right choice :)

• Like 3

I was scared of listening to this. He he.

Within a min of starting to listen to this, I was like

"I love Artha & Cronomi".

Polish master is here and killing it.

One more jewel in cromomi crown. Great stuff.

+ Mahabharata on CD! Fuck.

And as most cronomi releases, very comfortable to listen to at whatever volume for a long time. A big +

• Like 2

Fav track has to be Flutes. :)

A few months ago I saw the episode of "That 70's show" where it came from. It felt like coming home :P

I'm very glad you like that track; it is indeed amazing.

I wanted to include a downtempo track to grasp back a bit to some older albums & compilations of the 90's who also did that. I very much liked that they put a slow track at the end; made the story some what more complete.

I wanted to include a downtempo track to grasp back a bit to some older albums & compilations of the 90's who also did that. I very much liked that they put a slow track at the end; made the story some what more complete.

One minor issue I have with the album - and to you personally, since you were responsible for selection of tracks - is the fact that you could've squeezed one more 8-9 minute track there. At 70 minutes the album shouldn't feel "short", but it somehow does.