Is it me or Darkpsy isn't really "dark"?

XoArK

I feel like a complete idiot for making this thread...

This confuses me too - what I originally to be darkpsywhen I started listening to psytrance (i.e. what sounds the most evil/scary) actually turned out to belong to forest psy.

Well forest psy and darkpsy are siblings. Sometimes it's very hard to classify a track between them.

Unless you mean the schlabbaduerst sound.

Well forest psy and darkpsy are siblings. Sometimes it's very hard to classify a track between them.

Unless you mean the schlabbaduerst sound.

Is the schlabbadurest sound forest?

No offense, but why is it called Darkpsy then?

It's a good question and I don't know the answer. I don't know who coined the term or why but I would guess it's because some of the early artists making the noisier psy/goa that would influence darkpsy did use horror themes in their work (e.g. Xenomorph).

I know these albums wouldn't fit into the Darkpsy TM category, but when I think of "dark" - and I'm talking mood, not stupidly fast bpm or cheesy horror movie samples, these are some examples that come to mind:

Cydonia - In Fear of a Red Planet
Semsis - Letting Go

Menis - Temporary Insanity

v/a - Kiss the Future (Atomic Records)

plus other releases from Tim Schuldt, Tortured Brain, some other earlier Atomic Records releases, etc.

• 3 years later...

I felt the same way and that's why I made this song. I remember old Menog-tracks, they where dark but not too fast. Please tell me what you think of this one, and not only you but also others in this forum  - am I on the right track or is it garbage?

On 12/13/2019 at 3:36 AM, Focus said:

I felt the same way and that's why I made this song. I remember old Menog-tracks, they where dark but not too fast. Please tell me what you think of this one, and not only you but also others in this forum  - am I on the right track or is it garbage?

I've actually just discovered Menog for the first time and he has blown my mind. 

Your tracks really decent, disappointed when it was over.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a completely different understanding about "dark". When someone says dark sound, this, among countless others, is what comes to mind.

So, not necessarily fast, but "dark", you know? :D On the other hand, in the world of drum and bass, there is (or was) a subgenre called "darkstep", but it's a lot of high-pitched, fastpaced, screamy dnb, it's not "dark" at all. what I would call dark dnb is, iirc, called techy or techy dnb, I'm not exactly sure of the terminology. But hey, I'm likely not supposed to understand all the mysteries of the universe.

49 minutes ago, psychedelic chipmunk said:

So, not necessarily fast, but "dark", you know? :D On the other hand, in the world of drum and bass, there is (or was) a subgenre called "darkstep", but it's a lot of high-pitched, fastpaced, screamy dnb, it's not "dark" at all. what I would call dark dnb is, iirc, called techy or techy dnb, I'm not exactly sure of the terminology. But hey, I'm likely not supposed to understand all the mysteries of the universe.

darkstep is high-pitched, scremy and not dark at all?

music can be dark and fast/hard as well as dark and slow/depressing :) 

relating to this, the darkest darkpsy i know is still this one:

hard and fast (for the time), but not just weird and chaotic but really with a dark atmosphere (just like mfg -  on mars).

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 1:46 PM, Manuser said:

This track from Ghreg on Earth never gets old: 

Just the intro tells you it's gonna be dark and mysterious.
The bassline should be louder but anyway what a great track. 

Reminds me of Gappeq...
...ahhh, Wirikuta Distribution ... they had this kind of style. Too bad they are no more. I never know what befell them ... some kind of fraud stuff, I heard rumours ... a pity, I should know better, they are from same country as me...

But all of that is not dark to me. It's like children playing around with bed linen and pretending to be ghosts. It's nothing compared to real ghosts. Nah, the stuff that I find dark is different. It doesn't come "boo" in your face, it rather is characterized by an unsettling tone or atmosphere in the music.

This one I found dark ... this middle part, it's like you're standing at the edge of a void and can hear the distant laments of the poor souls that were sucked into it ... is that what a vacuum is like? Maybe...

And this one is "dark" too, in a different kind of way:

And this one is an especially sublime track and video, especially if you'd like to extend the view a little bit towards the borders of Psytrance and what lies beyond ... dark to the bone, I would say - so dark and "forbidden" (I imagine ;) ) that TMO will never perform it live in this form again, at least they say so:

(and yeah, if you liked that, This Morn' Omina has a lot more to offer...)

But all in all, the last track proves, when you search for "darkness", _psytrance_ is not the area where you'll find plenty of it, in my opinion. "Dark psytrance" to me feels like driving fast by car through a bad neighbourhood - it's all fine unless you stop at a red light -- which I won't do ... otherwise you get mugged. But it has to do with what an individual percieves as "dark" or "menacing". In the techno thread, @Padmapani had recommended me one track that hit a nerve in me: that was really dark ... to me. Others may call that one out with "children playing ghosts" like I called the other "darkpsy" tracks out. I think it's a highly individual thing, everybody has his or her own fears and nervous edges.