antic old-school music

antic604

So, I finally decided to put my old (1995-2000) music somewhere online, so that it's available for myself and other people to listen without having to convert obscure project files into wav/mp3. Almost all of those tracks - except for "Art of Magic" - were created on Amiga 600 computer using ProTracker, so please forgive the sound quality, repetitive samples and overall roughness of the music - as some of you know, you could only have 4 sounds playing at the same time, so it required quite some skill and creativity (and sacrifices...) to make it sound decent.

I grouped it all - 26 tracks in total - in 3 categories:

- funk / pop / electronic - with music influenced by either what I heard on TV, Amiga games and demoscene,

- techno - with stuff ranging from minimal / experimental, through regular trance to happy hardcore,

- psychedelic / goa-trance - tracks inspired by Goa Trance that I discovered somewhere in 1997 and loved ever since...

Hope you'll enjoy it and please share your feedback :)

• Like 1

With proper production this could a very nice track :)

Nice mate :)

Psychosis is really good!

I would put it in my playlist if it was remastered :D

Thanks guys, but I'm afraid that's not gonna happen - I've not finished a single tune in last 17 years and God I tried so many times! There are basically two reasons - one, I don't have as much time for this as I once had due to family/work; two, with today's technology there's so many options and possibilities, that I end up endlessly tweaking filters, effects, changing samples and presets on VSTs, experimenting with mastering, etc. so after few hours I lose the track of whatever idea I had in first place, ending up with 1-2 minute long loops. Hopefully, I'll have more time when I retire ;):D

Thanks guys, but I'm afraid that's not gonna happen - I've not finished a single tune in last 17 years and God I tried so many times! There are basically two reasons - one, I don't have as much time for this as I once had due to family/work; two, with today's technology there's so many options and possibilities, that I end up endlessly tweaking filters, effects, changing samples and presets on VSTs, experimenting with mastering, etc. so after few hours I lose the track of whatever idea I had in first place, ending up with 1-2 minute long loops. Hopefully, I'll have more time when I retire ;):D

This sounds alarmingly similar to my situation. I used Impulse Tracker from '97 to '99 and haven't really made any music since. After that it's been random fucking around in Jeskola Buzz with endless experiments trying to do weird stuff instead of music, and in the past 10 years I've maybe started up the software a couple times a year just to see that my inspiration is still not really back.

I still have all the files (IT and Buzz) and one of my tracks made in IT was released remastered on Neogoa's Celestial Transvibrations comp, but that's it. I've been thinking of releasing the best tracks I did in IT some day, but currently I can't afford to pay for proper remastering so the project is still on hold.

I used Impulse Tracker from '97 to '99 and haven't really made any music since. After that it's been random fucking around in Jeskola Buzz with endless experiments trying to do weird stuff instead of music, and in the past 10 years I've maybe started up the software a couple times a year just to see that my inspiration is still not really back.

Same, just replace Buzz with Renoise :)

:D woah.

I like the funk!

What inspired you in writing Chase and Hynotrance.?? Hypnotrance is nice :)

Psychosis has so much potential!! Awesome track. One can just listen to it and just dream.

@Antic & @Paul - Looks like you guys have already identified the problem and also know the solution ;)

@Paul, your midtempo Goa tracks are nice. May be an ep with Neogoa.? And then a mini album.? :)

• Like 1

What inspired you in writing Chase and Hynotrance.??

"Chase" was obviously inspired by those 70's/80's american police / detective movies, where they were chasing the bad guys through the streets in their big V8-s :)

"Hypnotrance" AFAIR was heavily influenced by techno/trance music played in MTV's Chillout Zone late night over weekends - artists like Biochip C, Jammin Unit, Love Inc., Ultrahigh, etc.

@Antic & @Paul - Looks like you guys have already identified the problem and also know the solution ;)

Well, actually I don't have a solution at the moment :)

@Paul, your midtempo Goa tracks are nice. May be an ep with Neogoa.? And then a mini album.? :)

Which tracks? (sorry for going off topic...)

The solution is simple - just sitting before your DAW or in your studio and making music without waiting for inspiration. Been there, done that, and it does work.

On topic: I was expecting to hear something really poorly produced and was quite surprised that it is completely opposite. The synths in hypnotrance are real ear-candy. Lo-fi, yes, but sweet lo-fi. Psychosis is agressive and energetic with some awesome squelchy synths. Both these tracks are pretty decently mixed. Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

The solution is simple - just sitting before your DAW or in your studio and making music without waiting for insiration. Been there, done that, and it does work.

On topic: I was expecting to hear something really poorly produced and was quite surprised that it is completely opposite. The synths in hypnotrance are real ear-candy. Lo-fi, yes, but sweet lo-fi. Psychosis is agressive and energetic with some awesome squelchy synths. Both these tracks are pretty decently mixed. Thanks for sharing this!

Glad to hear that. Check the rest of the tunes (there's 26 of them there), please: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

This positive feedback really makes me want to write some new music soon :)

Thanks guys! :wub:

• Like 1

Which tracks? (sorry for going off topic...)

01 - Paul Eye & Olisan - Daikaisho (Old school midtempo with Goa elements) - I would say a pinch of Suomi too:)

This one :)

This time I voted just downtempo and breaks track. Was kinda like allergic to Goa ( :o ) during the voting time. Sorry :/

Why cant I find your track on the contest thread(SC link?) Can you message me on fb? Lets not hijack Antic's thread ;)

Too bad, cause we really can use a bit more original stuff in the neo-goa scene.

The solution is simple - just sitting before your DAW or in your studio and making music without waiting for inspiration. Been there, done that, and it does work.

For some people it works. For me, it doesn't. Trust me, I've tried :)

• 8 months later...

I like Transparent Mind, it sounds so much like the tracker stuff I used to listen in the 90s, when this was mostly what everyone was doing. I would have surely loved this one. Of course now they all sound dated but indeed u should "remake" those with modern technology. I encourage you to try without spending too much on the VST, just stick to finding a good instrument for each line and don't tweak too much, you can do that at a later stage.

I like Transparent Mind, it sounds so much like the tracker stuff I used to listen in the 90s, when this was mostly what everyone was doing. I would have surely loved this one. Of course now they all sound dated but indeed u should "remake" those with modern technology. I encourage you to try without spending too much on the VST, just stick to finding a good instrument for each line and don't tweak too much, you can do that at a later stage.

Thanks for the kind words  :blush:

I'm working on new stuff and it's very unlikely I'd re-do those old tracks, but who knows. Not promising anything, though :)

• 1 month later...

the melody in psychosis is intelligent, u should definitely make some more of those. i reckon if u just use

whatever default devices that come with whatever package ( synthwise ) and just stick to that u can manage to

complete some projects. The last 20 or so tracks i have made are all made from loops.

The loops and sequences u make always come in handy. For the glitchmodus project I have probably 10 -20gb or so

of loops which i made continuously for hours on end. Most of which i didnt use, and just picked the best ones to

sequence together into a track that makes sense.

Of course u go back and add in all the details later but those loops is the foundation, after the bass:)

• Like 1

the melody in psychosis is intelligent, u should definitely make some more of those. i reckon if u just use

whatever default devices that come with whatever package ( synthwise ) and just stick to that u can manage to

complete some projects. The last 20 or so tracks i have made are all made from loops.

The loops and sequences u make always come in handy. For the glitchmodus project I have probably 10 -20gb or so

of loops which i made continuously for hours on end. Most of which i didnt use, and just picked the best ones to

sequence together into a track that makes sense.

Of course u go back and add in all the details later but those loops is the foundation, after the bass:)

Thanks! I recently purchased a MIDI controller and full Live 9 Suite and I'm slowly working on new music - for now I'm getting to grips with new way of composing (clips + arranger timeline vs. tracker patterns is so liberating arrangement-wise, but it was easier in tracker to get basic melody or bass going) and learning the quirks of the software and tools, i.e. the Live 9' instruments and effects. "Luckily" my son recently hurt his leg - nothing serious: a light sprain in the ankle - in school and we spent 5+ hours in hospital for it to be checked so I had the time to go through Live's manual, which helps me a lot right now!

BTW, check the rest of the psy/goa tunes: https://soundcloud.com/antic604/sets/psychedelic-goa-trance