Does psytrance need melodies?

recursion loop

I think most techno is not very melodic that's all. Or at least if someone looking for melodies I think Trance would be his no1 choice.

To be honest I didn't make an official statistic about the techno releases of the last tthree years to find out what the majority sounds like. But the days where techno is mainly or only industrial sounding noise or banging beats are long gone. I'm able find a lot of releases that have some kind of melody or melodies. And I do like trance, at least old stuff. I lost track of the newer releases some years ago and I actually don't really care to stay in touch. Btw. but the melodies used in trance (or melodic psy) are by far not the only way melodies can sound. I mean you posted a track from Ticket that is melodic yourself so I guess you know what I mean.

interstate highway :wub:

the best "psy" psytrance imo. and not be progressive enough to be on vibraspheres level and thats lucky ;)

some tracks excluded, like Juice, which is a goa fest.

if you aint feelin this u got a brain tumour: :D

eidt: Juice is Progressive Goatrance when it was SUCCESSFUL. I.E very seldom.

but for ppl wondering twf is progressive goatrance, voila! :D
regarding the track; Juice.

edit. lol. just remembered something from 2006 and it involves me, this track shared thru extra cable to my present gf, park, lots of woods n shit

but thatrs as far as i go lol, ok fuckit noone wil notice this edit, she burned up the cable and i peed on her hand, mistakes ofc but welll, i dunno how many rohypnos we were on

edit. track is ofc called SPACE juice. Not just Juice.

• Like 1

To be honest I didn't make an official statistic about the techno releases of the last tthree years to find out what the majority sounds like. But the days where techno is mainly or only industrial sounding noise or banging beats are long gone. I'm able find a lot of releases that have some kind of melody or melodies. And I do like trance, at least old stuff. I lost track of the newer releases some years ago and I actually don't really care to stay in touch. Btw. but the melodies used in trance (or melodic psy) are by far not the only way melodies can sound. I mean you posted a track from Ticket that is melodic yourself so I guess you know what I mean.

techno started out pretty housey, then it started to sound more and more like techno (=got a distinct, characteristic sound) in the 90s (banging industrial machine noise music), but the trend reversed in the early 00s and it now sounds more like house than in the decade before.

so yeah, techno it can be pretty melodic, even if it doesn't sound that much like (the) techno (we're used to) anymore ;).

Well, hardly any music style sounds like it used to in the 1990ies so... ;)

What do you think of this track, rl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59E2bZvKJOk

Strangely beautiful and very, very trippy. Don't know what to think of it I guess this is kinda "acquired taste" but well, it is definitely psychedelic music at its best. These Rastaliens tracks posted by Ormion (although they are fine psytrance) sounded like some vanilla radio songs after this.

Yeah, Rastaliens are good, I never had heard of them before but liked these tracks (had to take some break from Kashyyyk to appreciate them, though ;) ) But they are from 2007-2008, I don't hear much music like this released today.

Btw, I really love some Solar Spectrum tracks, and I've just checked Discogs and it apepars to be proggy reincarnation of Braincell

I think both melodic and amelodic psytrance can be good, though I personally tend to find the amelodic stuff more psychedelic. I guess it's because most conventional Western music revolves around melody, so working with a sound palette of noises without obvious pitches forces artists to take a more novel approach to making something that sounds musical.

For me the combinations of melody/atonal stuff usually sound the most psychedelic. Melody attracts attention, while the strange atonal/unpitched sequences and atmospheres act more subconsciously.

Like here

Strangely beautiful and very, very trippy. Don't know what to think of it I guess this is kinda "acquired taste" but well, it is definitely psychedelic music at its best. These Rastaliens tracks posted by Ormion (although they are fine psytrance) sounded like some vanilla radio songs after this.

Yeah, Rastaliens are good, I never had heard of them before but liked these tracks (had to take some break from Kashyyyk to appreciate them, though ;) ) But they are form 2007-2008, I don't hear much music like this released today.

Btw, I really love some Solar Spectrum tracks, and I've just checked Discogs and it apepars to be proggy reincarnation of Braincell

I'm surprised you liked Kashyyyk. But since you do I think you should listen to his magnum opus.

• Like 1

This track posted by Rotwang was definitely impressive, completely unlike anything I've heard before. Not sure if I like it but it is interesting to discover such an imaginative music.

Is it darkpsy or what?

Kinda. Over the past few years darkpsy and especially hightech artists have been incorporating more melodic stuff into their work, though tracks that sound like the Kashyyyk one still tend to stick out like a soar thumb on albums that are otherwise full of metallic screeching and kick rushes. AFAIK Psykovsky is the biggest influence on this substyle (e.g. check out this).

If you want more melodic/darkpsy crossover then you should try Overdream's Wonderwise album, it's one of my favourite albums of the noughties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Qs_sLafuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcrEF0THJg4

• Like 1

Kashyyyk - Inner Explorations is really beautifull. Other Kashyyyk tarcks posted here are interesting but still sound too strange for me. One such track is a refreshing experience but listening to two or more of them in a row is kinda hard :unsure:

Sacrosanct Toukan is really good! The second track (Fiji Island) is not my thing - it does have some melodies but i don't find them ear-pleasing at all.

Overdream seems to be related to Algae Bloom, another progressive project which I know and love.

• Like 1

for hightech kashyyyk sounds really nice. it's actually interesting and musical.

the closest i know is lunarave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMFNDOS51k

many darkpsy elements (though not in all tracks), but with none of the dumb noise and actual melodies that tell a story...

(be sure to also listen to the sections after 4:30)

• Like 1

The free album on ektoplazm is fantastic.

Algae Bloom released another album in 2016, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7DoWZRx7o

The music is not very similar to the Overdream tracks posted above, it's on proggy side, smooth and melodious, but not your typical Iono/Iboga prog, much better IMO. In my book this album is one of the best 2016 releases so far (if we discount one vocal track, maybe Makus recorded his GF, I dunno but otherwise I have no idea why he decided to include it into the album)