Looking for Chinese-influenced Goa

acid-brain

Most goa trance is based on Indian-sounding melodies. Artists like Ra have played around with melodies and tones that evoke Egypt. Recently I have become very interested in tracks with Chinese themes and melodies.

It's hard really to put into words what distinguishes a Chinese-influenced goa trance track. When you hear it, you know it. For instance:

Astrancer - Dzog Chen has such a Chinese sound! The melodies are delicate, mysterious, and elegant rather than powerful and crazy psychedelic.

Lost Buddha - Untold Stories album (and some of his other work, especially under the Chynacid moniker )

Parts of the Moon Tribe - Moon Child album (but I should make clear that I am not interested in music purely because it was made by [Taiwanese] Chinese people, but because of the sound)

I know that there's more but that's all I can think of from the top of my head. I want to hear more of this vibe! Please post your recommendations.

• Like 1

I don't know what the chinese are doing in tibet... they should not be there. It's like russians in Crimea!

It's the thing of the past now Mergi, it's all settled now. It's permanently a part of China. Massive infrastructure developments & capital infusion + military presence.

Anyways, surprised you are posting at this hour of the day.

@topic -- Astrancer track is so good! (you gotta love the strings!!! ) -- The whole compilation is good.

This is a very nice topic, remember the sounds with which the killers from the movie Kung fu hustle? The blind killers with their musical instrument shooting out swords and other stuff. Those sounds in Goa would be a thing of BEAUTY!

Edit : this one. ( NOT GOA!)

(if someone can find the track with video, it would be awesome!)

Filipe also pointed me towards his Uchiwa and Gankyil aliases.

And I don't know, but I feel that even certain old-school goa has some Chinese-sounding melodies. Like the section from 4:40 onwards in MFG - Hypnotized. At the very least, it has some of that mixed in the Oriental vibe.

So, does anybody have any more suggestions? Surely there must be some more?

jaia - mai mai has some melodies that have a certain east asian ring to them (though the sample is vietnamese i think?).

Good call. That beautiful track definitely has more of a Southeast Asian flavour, but that's interesting too, because goa so rarely ventures into that territory.

I tried writing some Chinese goa melodies last night and I couldn't do it. You can't use the Pentatonic scale like most Chinese music because it sounds way too positive and bright and lacks the tense half-tones that goa needs. I just ended up writing melodies that sounded Indian. Props to artists who can pull it off.

I'd say it has a more traditional Finnish feel to it, at least the main melody :)

oh , from 3:36 to may be 5th minute. That part is soo chinese :D

Right after that there are small parts which remind me of something very beautiful. I am not able to make out what or "whom" :)

This one is special.

Traditional finnish feel -- Can you point me to more of such Goa.? :) TIA.