Women in psynews

Anu Katariina

Okay. Some nice reasoning up there from all of you. This topic has been scratched before in this thread (wasn't aware of it), but the point of view in my thread what I meant is more "psynews-orientated" anywayz https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/66092-goa-girls-female-presence-in-psy-trance-psynews/

Still no need for a new thread so excuse my non-awareness..

Female psytrance DJ's are a bunch in Finland where I live. Miazu, Cini Electrium, Korento to mention a few. This party from last fall had an interesting line up female DJ's playing vs. with men DJ's https://www.facebook.com/events/921591531241851/

So DJ's and party audience is there as females but not existing in the same ratio in this forum.

@Mergi: Thanks for your opinion: it did make sense. With you I agree for the most on the comment "Is psynews female unfriendly due to being littered with males?" This is the case I think but the blaming finger is to point towards women here, not towards men. Women just need to come and start talking. It is not that hard. Actuallly psynews is very female friendly by all the likes my profile has gotten (many of them certainly are not because of my possible proper commenting but because of "encouragement")

@recursion loop: I am glad you opened up. I agree with your statement that psytrance is a pretty technical thing and men just started exploring it, but what I wonder about is that guitar playing is a technical thing, too, and still more women are involved in rock/metal/pop as commentators also, not just as an observing audience. So psy/goa is a different field there, too. This "technicality" you talked about and what I referred to in my opening pharagraph is as close to the point of the female/male differences in the scene as I can think of, though. I know it by experience. Some of my producer friends (obviously male) send me their demos during the creative process to hear my opinion/analysis. I have asked why and they say they will get tech comments from other producers but from me they wanna hear "overall" feelings and maybe some imaginations that the track arouses :)

Nevertheless, this forum has much to give to persons who wanna dig deeper into the music they love. It is no gender difference thing definitely.

@boohu: It is an international womens' day indeed. Let's play some good goa trance to honour it!

• Like 1

@ Booha: It is an international womens' day indeed. Let's play some good goa trance to honour it!

just did i'll post it again here

This is a citation of the geek link that @Earwall posted:

"But we can be better than this. By consciously rejecting the stereotypes, by losing the defensive status games and focusing on the joys of our shared mutual interests, we can fix geek culture, make it more open and welcoming. It can be a celebration of our passions instead of another way of limiting ourselves and pushing away people who would otherwise share in the things we love."

Pretty applicable to psynews, also, just like Earwall stated :) But as I said: it is highly unlikely to change the reality by male members here by themselves: more women just need to come and see what happens. It is as simple as that. Until that I will have a nice fest dancing here by myself like Billy Idol used to sing. I have watchers, though, many of them with monitoring sensors, so not alone, hah ;) Anywayz it is gonna be a 100% male forum soon enough as I quit for the time being (work reasons + I am a person who is not present half-way: I cannot handle that ) :)

• Like 2

What makes you say that? It seemed like an uncontroversial observation to me.

Surprised, that's all. I thought it was just Psynews which had abundance of males. Now when I think on it, what you said might be true.

3 places on Internet that I frequent have pathetic female:male ratio

Psynews - currently 2 women ? May be 3.

Hifi forum - 0

Ifsm - 2 guests (right Mergi?)

The educational forum has decent number of girls. Even equal number may be.

Regarding psynews , i think it's less appealing to the new users, especially women. With my limited interaction with the limited number of girls over here, they mostly like shpongle, Astrix, Avalon & then there are Psykovsky KDD (Russian psy fans) etc etc.. We all know what happened to the thread (best psytrance acts)

and we hardly talk about anything other oldschool Goa and the artist promotion thread - all the news can be found on Facebook + even some more. So I don't see anyone from here signing up.

Also there's no chat option.

We need to talk about more chillout releases and full on commercial/club psy or whatever you might want to call it.

That's where the hot chicks are ;)

That's where the hot chicks are ;)

I am glad I am not a hot chick anymore, maybe used to be 20++ years ago, heh, but I sure wish those hot or cooler chicks to come over here.

For me psynews has been essential. I came on board listening to goa in my middle-aged years so I needed to connect with the history. That history is all here. Reviews, everything. Also this forum has given me the important perspective that I am not alone in this world with my goa obsession. Finnish scene is so psytrance orientated. I needed to find my goa home in a larger context than Neogoa Records. Also, I connected with @Paul Eye through this forum: some knowledge and help he provided was critical considering organizing my first goa party in Finland.

I agree with Rotwang here. This is not a problem that is contained only to _this_ forum but is more of a widespread throughout the internet. Also it doesn't go only one way as there certainly must be areas which are dominated by females. Also, is this a "problem" per se? We do things because we like to do it, we don't do things we dislike. Nobody is suppose to force a person, of whatever gender, into doing things we don't want to do.

I also do agree with Anu that we generally need to challenge our views daily and need to be brave enough to venture outside our comfort zone. She points a finger to the females to venture into unexplored territories in this case psynews. What do you know before you try, maybe you might find something to like on psynews as a female. Also this goes for the males here, we might need to start trying out the female dominated areas of the internet? Then this turns into a cooperative venture to explore humanity in its entirety...

What's so "female" about My Little Pony?

What's so "male" about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Were these marketed to a particular audience? Why shouldn't "males" watch My Little Pony? Why shouldn't "females" watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I don't know? I don't get it at all. People _want_ to box you in, staple you with post it notes and in general build themselves a complete but inaccurate picture of the person in question. I fight this prejudice daily with myself, telling myself to freakin' be open to all opinions and views and not to sort people into categories because then I wouldn't learn anything and I wouldn't grow as human either. Essentially, when I start to categorise the people around me I indirectly isolate myself from the outside world.

• Like 3

@Starkraver: interstatefm doesn't have any females at all, OK we have Murphy303s girl Hana posting a "Hi" in the shoutbox and now also Shruti (spelling?). But they're more of a recruited audience because their male counterparts are devoted listeners/streamers. Do they count?

@Starkraver: interstatefm doesn't have any females at all, OK we have Murphy303s girl Hana posting a "Hi" in the shoutbox and now also Shruti (spelling?). But they're more of a recruited audience because their male counterparts are devoted listeners/streamers. Do they count?

That's right.

What I've observed about Shruti is, she does like the music. She even managed to catch few of Mika's streams which I missed ( :o ) but she wouldn't spend time in say searching , exploring let alone discuss and review about the new music. Idk why :(

So I guess they are recruited audience.

So we're all agreed upon that females do enjoy the music they do enjoy the vibe and they're most certainly a very big part of the scene.

So why aren't they here on psynews?

It's like asking what the meaning of life is... you only get a number...

So why aren't they here on psynews?

A few things came up in this thread, other things remain unanswered. I don't think more females are to come. Not pessimistic, just realistic. But I made the thread because the topic sure is interesting.

I agree with Rotwang here. This is not a problem that is contained only to _this_ forum but is more of a widespread throughout the internet. Also it doesn't go only one way as there certainly must be areas which are dominated by females. Also, is this a "problem" per se? We do things because we like to do it, we don't do things we dislike. Nobody is suppose to force a person, of whatever gender, into doing things we don't want to do.

I also do agree with Anu that we generally need to challenge our views daily and need to be brave enough to venture outside our comfort zone. She points a finger to the females to venture into unexplored territories in this case psynews. What do you know before you try, maybe you might find something to like on psynews as a female. Also this goes for the males here, we might need to start trying out the female dominated areas of the internet? Then this turns into a cooperative venture to explore humanity in its entirety...

What's so "female" about My Little Pony?

What's so "male" about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Were these marketed to a particular audience? Why shouldn't "males" watch My Little Pony? Why shouldn't "females" watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I don't know? I don't get it at all. People _want_ to box you in, staple you with post it notes and in general build themselves a complete but inaccurate picture of the person in question. I fight this prejudice daily with myself, telling myself to freakin' be open to all opinions and views and not to sort people into categories because then I wouldn't learn anything and I wouldn't grow as human either. Essentially, when I start to categorise the people around me I indirectly isolate myself from the outside world.

Psynews has always been a bit of a sausage fest (or at least as long as I can remember). But there where some very active female users in the past, like Heva, Gemini, Pixie Janet, Tahsira and of course me... Seems like now there are even less females active (can't judge that myself). I don't know why that is. Also because it is like that in other forums I used to visit or still visit too. Maybe the whole act of labeling and boxing people is part of that since my personal impression is that the gender roles for males and females are way more static than 10 or 15 years ago. Funny enough at least at parties there were as many goa girls as there were boys. Haven't been to a psy doof in ages but judging from the flyers of todays parties there are more local female psy-djs in Switzerland than when I was in the scene. At least that's a good thing...

I don't know if there are generally less people posting here than before. Maybe people tend to be more active and prefere going out or meeting up with friends to talk instead of hanging in a forum all day. Besides us hardcore nerds so to say... There is one swiss psy forum and it is practially dead. I vaguely remember us talking about attracting new members to psynews too, since the forum used to be nearly dead some years aog. I don't konw to attract female members especially. But as far as I can tell the forum is not very sexistic or in any other way negative so I wouldn't know what to change.

• Like 1

Pink layout, unicorns and stuff? :D

Please hand me the shotgun... :phear: ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Pixie_Janet just left recently, probably she'll come back just like you Tatsu after a hiatus. Good to see ya back Tatsu one take the place of the other, but I'd like to see all of you a bit more often.

is tatsu female? wow. thats awesome!

im all for feminism and equal opportunity and all that, but lets not lie, goatrance is predominantely a male genre.

so its very nice to see females endulge in discussions about goatrance.

sure you see alot of girls at parties and festivals, but most of them generally are hippies types, and dont spend that much time on the web discussing the very genre as us other nerds do.

so kudos tatsu for being one of these ladies.

btw, good time as any to ask: how did you get "pussy addict" and "mad old ones" ? I can guess but rather have full explanation :)

it has always sparked my curiosity.

is tatsu female? wow. thats awesome!

im all for feminism and equal opportunity and all that, but lets not lie, goatrance is predominantely a male genre.

so its very nice to see females endulge in discussions about goatrance.

sure you see alot of girls at parties and festivals, but most of them generally are hippies types, and dont spend that much time on the web discussing the very genre as us other nerds do.

so kudos tatsu for being one of these ladies.

btw, good time as any to ask: how did you get "pussy addict" and "mad old ones" ? I can guess but rather have full explanation :)

it has always sparked my curiosity.

Well, if you are talking about music making or djing then nearly every genre is male dominated (also non-electronical genres). There are lots of articles available on the internet talking about why this is the case and there are also groups and movements that try to change that. Since I'm not listening to psy much these days my input to the forum has decreased a lot. But I started djing myself (not psy or goa stuff tho) and I'm also keen on starting to produce my own tunes but lack the knowledge and gear to do so.

About pussy addict: one of the admins (can't remember who it was but I think it was Insejn but it could have been Nemo) gaveit to me back in the days. It's a word play since I'm gay and since I love cats. Go figure... ;) Mad old ones is a title reserved for users that are active in psynews for a long time. I'm not sure if you also have to be an ex-mod to get the title.

Thanks for clarifiying!

Btw, if youre looking to start getting into production, Ill gladly help you out, i have 10 years production experience behind me and would gladly help you out.

Thanks a lot! I might get back to take advantage of that offer. :) I have two friends who are into producing and I will pretty sure bother them with my question. But it's always good to have several options. ;)

Do you have a soundcloud account or a Homepage? I would like to listen to some of your tunes.... :)