Women in psynews

Anu Katariina

Hello everyone!

I am gonna take a little break from online channels but before I go I'd like to address this question: why is there so very little amount of women active in psynews?

Besides me there's no a single active woman who is regularly posting, among the members there are few and they occasionally post e.g. in party announcements.

This state of being is very different from dance floors where women are abundant; also in fb groups e.g. Suntrippers in English girls comment and like.

I don't have an answer, but of what I know, the situation is no new in the existence of the forum.

I have three insights and they are: women squint tech talk, they dislike intruding onto a mister club and they aren't willing to walk into a street fight when expressing an opinion (the theme we just saw in UX topic).

A taboo this is to a certain extent. What's your educated guess over the reasons or should the topic stay "buried"? And have you guys been thinking about this? I am curious :)

• Like 2

I have three insights and they are: women squint tech talk, they dislike intruding onto a mister club and they aren't willing to walk into a street fight when expressing an opinion (the theme we just saw in UX topic).

Hi Anu! I'd say it's just that lol specially the techtalk .

Statistically, women are much less likely to love psytrance. Even if they do, they don't take it as seriously as we do.

Seriously? Wtf? I don't swallow this without a discussion! For example in Finnish psytrance groups women are at least as active as men and before all: women go to psytrance parties!

• Like 1

Seriously? Wtf? I don't swallow this without a discussion! For example in Finnish psytrance groups women are at least as active as men and before all: women go to psytrance parties!

@ recursion loop

:lol::lol::lol: women love psytrance they're just not up for some men mambo jambo

as we do.

By this comment referring to "we" you kind of exclude women out of the psynews circle per se. Just what I thought: don't ya come here to interfere the mister club, haha :lol:

• Like 1

By this comment referring to "we" you kind of exclude women out of the psynews circle per se. Just what I thought: don't ya come here to interfere the mister club, haha :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: lol

Sorry if my post was offensive

Far from offensive. I wanted discussion and your comment is fine; just wanted to challenge you to dig a bit deeper. Btw..I work in a company with 50+ men and I am the only woman in the company :P So the street fights with men are my everyday lunch and psynews, heh, is so lame considering all of my fights with men ;) Just wishing more women to get involved here!

• Like 1

Btw..I work in a company with 50+ men and I am the only woman in the company :P

well not all women have that! welcome to da krew dats all i gotta say . :) respekt

• Like 1

The picture I've gotten is that females are generally more suceptible to the vibe/party as a whole more than the music niche we have here.

Is psynews "interesting" enough for the whole spectrum of humanity?

Is psynews female unfriendly due to being littered with males?

Is psynews simply defective in certain areas of the scene that is being heavily perused by females?

Females are most certainly active in this scene and they do indeed like the music. But in a very different context as to how we approach it here on psynews.

Is psynews simply an old dusty mouldy way of communication? Like, we have facebook now, twitter, smartphones and skype, whatever I don't know I have neither... I do have a "smartphone" though. Why the fuck would anyone go back to a 15+ year old forum?

Should we males here get a life?

To me these topics just makes me confused and my view, which is fueled by my own utter stupidity and ignorance, of the world around me certainly just closes in and hits me bang on and knocks me out.

Far from offensive. I wanted discussion and your comment is fine; just wanted to challenge you to dig a bit deeper.

Good to know :) I know that Europeans look at gender equality issues differently than we do here, so talking gender differences at an inernational forum may be like stepping on thin ice for me.

Well, if you ask, my uneducated guess is that psytrance was originally meant to be music for "exploratory minds", like "let's see what we can do with these synths and how our brains will interact with this". This probably apepals to male mindset more, because evolutionary role of man was "the exporer" and evolutionary role of woman was "the house keeper" (hope this doesn't sound sexist ;) ) Then psytrance became a subculture, there are festivals, events and all that, this may appeal to both sexes. But as regards the music itself, I believe it is mostly the male thing because pytrance is less about emotions and more about the exproration of sounds. Maybe there are many girls on psy events, dunno, I'm not a big party guy myself, but if we look into the producers demographics, there are hundreds of male psy producers, but I can name only three currently active female psy acts.

Good to know :) I know that Europeans look at gender equality issues differently than we do here, so talking gender differences at an inernational forum may be like stepping on thin ice for me.

Well, if you ask, my uneducated guess is that psytrance was originally meant to be music for "exploratory minds", like "let's see what we can do with these synths and how our brains will interact with this". This probably apepals to male mindset more, because evolutionary role of man was "the exporer" and evolutionary role of woman was "the house keeper" (hope this doesn't sound sexist ;) ) Then psytrance became a subculture, there are festivals, events and all that, this may appeal to both sexes. But as regards the music itself, I believe it is mostly the male thing because pytrance is less about emotions and more about the exproration of sounds. Maybe there are many girls on psy events, dunno, I'm not a big party guy myself, but if we look into the producers demographics, there are hundreds of male psy producers, but I can name only three currently active female psy acts.

yea but Women explore too... specially men's minds :lol::lol::lol:

The picture I've gotten is that females are generally more suceptible to the vibe/party as a whole more than the music niche we have here.

Is psynews "interesting" enough for the whole spectrum of humanity?

Is psynews simply defective in certain areas of the scene that is being heavily perused by females?

Females are most certainly active in this scene and they do indeed like the music. But in a very different context as to how we approach it here on psynews.

Is psynews simply an old dusty mouldy way of communication? Like, we have facebook now, twitter, smartphones and skype, whatever I don't know I have neither... I do have a "smartphone" though. Why the fuck would anyone go back to a 15+ year old forum?

1-yes

2-no , females just doesn't give it away just like that :lol: they're very selective :P:D

3-psynews is not defective.

4-there is no different context.

and

5 Gandalf-the-White-gandalf-7018459-1024-7

molded? nonsense. it's a 15 year old forum and it's great. it was here ages before facebook and still here. :lol:

Happy International Womens day!

That depends on the males. ;) I think that record collecting, interest in electronics, synthesizers ect. are things that men are encouraged to pursue much, much more than women. So if you're female, it can be intimidating to join a group of hardcore music enthusiasts, especially if the music is electronic. Also, if a group starts out as mostly men, it's probably going to stay that way unless some serious attempt is made to mix things up.

There's an interesting article I read recently about women in geek circles, not specifically music related but I think a lot of its points apply here: http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2016/02/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/

Edited by Earwall
  • Like 2

That depends on the males. ;) I think that record collecting, interest in electronics, synthesizers ect. are things that men are encouraged to pursue much, much more than women. So if you're female, it can be intimidating to join a group of hardcore music enthusiasts, especially if the music is electronic. Also, if a group starts out as mostly men, it's probably going to stay that way unless some serious attempt is made to mix things up.

There's an interesting article I read recently about women in geek circles, not specifically music related but I think a lot of its points apply here: http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2016/02/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/

yea bro. but that doesn't mean we are not opened to any female members to discuss and express their views about music synthesizers and stuff , its always cool to know what they think! lol

Encens did it back in the days thats how Miranda got to do it lol

R-51557-1154425689.jpeg.jpg

Ominus

Members:

and to finish best project Miranda had was Psychlopedia along with Anders the founder of Spiral Trax. Stunning work they did. :)

R-79335-1199209050.jpeg.jpg

Well, if you ask, my uneducated guess is that psytrance was originally meant to be music for "exploratory minds", like "let's see what we can do with these synths and how our brains will interact with this"... I believe it is mostly the male thing because pytrance is less about emotions and more about the exproration of sounds.

Psychedelia =! psytrance tho.

Dude, early Laurie Spiegel is DOPE. So is Elaine Radigue, if you have enough patience.

Psychedelia =! psytrance tho.

Dude, early Laurie Spiegel is DOPE. So is Elaine Radigue, if you have enough patience.

nah bro it's Goa . Yeah but i have no patience . :lol:

I like to get the job done right on time , don't like to stall any shit.