V/A - Island Of Misfit Grooves (Thaumic Records)

12745766_230853733917690_494705154223391

Somewhere in the middle of the trance ocean lies a lost island, where the grooves that don't fit in anywhere else can be found. On this island, strange percussion-loving creatures frolic to a sound that can be heard from the rocky beaches to the deepest jungle. All attempts to locate it on a map have been stymied by its neither-here-nor-there-ness, and the travellers that have returned from its shores tell wildly implausible tales. Some tell of a nostalgic Goan feeling in the air; others of a psychedelia that recalls the eclectic spirit of the late 90s, when experimentation and rule breaking was the norm. To be sure, the story always has a beginning, middle, and end; but its meaning will be different for each person who hears it. Such is the effect of a stay on the Island of Misfit Grooves...

Tracklist:

1. New Born - Hiding

2. Ankrosado - Morning Glory

3. Veasna - Warp

4. Wakavanha - Space to Be

5. Hypnic Lab - Drunky Knight & Shiny Courtesans

6. Yakui Bass Camp - Cyber Razor Cut

7. ADU - Stage of Illusions

8. Ruby Plexus - Finding Balance

9. Wakavanha - Dying to Blossom

10. Calm City - Into Your Dreams

Compiled by Blair Thaumic

Mastering by Colin OOOD

Artwork by Bimshwel

Download it here: https://thaumicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/island-of-misfit-grooves

All proceeds from this album will go to support animal protection and food security in the developing world through our chosen charity, A Well-Fed World. Find out more here: http://awfw.org

Edited by Blair Thaumic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here is some interesting early feedback. :) Translated from a Russian download site:

And I liked it. Interesting, many tracks, though not traditional Finnish polka-BUT fit somewhere psy, goa somewhere with a touch of Suomi. Definitely recommend!

Indeet, no traditional Finnish polka. Maybe next album?

I do not like Suomi genre of music and tried to listen to it all the muck and this album, from menya1 stars out of 5 and that unfortunately many

The music leaves a strong impression, one way or another :)

no sign of any new kakieto in zborke on two tracks Suomi my ears is the current 05. Hypnic Lab - Drunky Knight & Shiny Courtesans 08:26 and 07. ADU - Stage Of Illusions 07:52 remaining longer Goa, but will not say it bad zborka all that is necessary is taken directly from the first track project New Born easy bleshit here wrote earlier this shnyaga but right now see changed his mind track is gorgeous. I straight had the feeling when tapping that I vgoa and there are palm trees 20 meters tall self-made speaker small party and DJ Joerg zapultom and it's all in 90 years. this zborka osyaddet long the player will repeatedly pereslushivatsya simple diamond today. do not pass by even those who do not like Suomi should enjoy it and who did not listen nachinayete setogo familiarity with svoremennym Suomi 5+ zborka thanks

This is a great review. Zapultom!

no sign of any new kakieto in zborke on two tracks Suomi my ears is the current 05. Hypnic Lab - Drunky Knight & Shiny Courtesans 08:26 and 07. ADU - Stage Of Illusions 07:52 remaining longer Goa, but will not say it bad zborka all that is necessary is taken directly from the first track project New Born easy bleshit here wrote earlier this shnyaga but right now see changed his mind track is gorgeous. I straight had the feeling when tapping that I vgoa and there are palm trees 20 meters tall self-made speaker small party and DJ Joerg zapultom and it's all in 90 years. this zborka osyaddet long the player will repeatedly pereslushivatsya simple diamond today. do not pass by even those who do not like Suomi should enjoy it and who did not listen nachinayete setogo familiarity with svoremennym Suomi 5+ zborka thanks

If you are curious, here is a more correct translation of Puki's review from Psymusic :) Google translate usually sucks donkey balls at informal Russian ;)

"I don't know anybody from this compilation, all the artists are new to me. To my ears only two tracks sound Suomi, they are 05. Hypnic Lab - Drunky Knight & Shiny Courtesans 08:26 and 07. ADU - Stage Of Illusions 07:52. Everything else is more of Goa but I can't say the compilation is bad, it's the real thing, captivating from the very frist track. New Born truly shines on this compliation, their earlier works were crap but they seem to come to their sences and this track is gorgeous.

When listening to this I felt like I'm in Goa surrounded by 20 meter tall palm trees, a small party in 90s, home-made speakers and DJ Jorg at the desk (Zapultom, lol).

This compilation will stay in my player for a long time and will get many repeated listens, it's a diamond of our times.

Don't miss it, even if you don't like Suomi you'll like this, and if you are new to Suomi at all this is a good place to start getting into the modern form of it. This compilation is the bestest, thanks for it"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT: as it's looking increasingly unlikely that this album will make its budget back, I've decided to change the price to "pay what you want."

100% of all proceeds will be donated to A Well-Fed World, so please give what you can.

(this also applies to money earned through other channels: iTunes, ect.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ruby plexus - Finding balance, simple yet so lovely and at times monstrous!

Thanks for the VA.

Do buy it guys. It's a wonderful Comp.

@Vesana - you can try to hide that acid in the background :P but my mind pulls it out in the foreground ;)

(2nd round of donations coming very soon, looking to pay the original amount)

• Like 2