Opinion : Psytrance hippies are the worst lot

exotic

well, what book it was is pretty irrelevant dont you think?

well then if you understand him, how come you cant intelligently accept his views? again, what makes the fact, that you respecting him - do in any way shape or form - to infringe on your rights?

i just dont get it.

isnt it just easier to respect he feels that way and forget it? doesnt it cost more energy to NOT respect it, and get mad by it?

i mean, haters gonna hate, right?

and it sounds to me that guy was just a hater?

Right.

He is my friend, of course I wasnt gonna just chill and forget. If it was a random person doing the same I wouldnt waste energy of course, but I still wouldnt be fine with it or admire and respect the way that person thinks. I dont see that as disrespect. Its somewhere in between or in absence of both respect and disrespect. I dont like, admire or respect the way he reacted but I didnt insult nor was I rude to him back for it.

• Like 1

Right.

He is my friend, of course I wasnt gonna just chill and forget. If it was a random person doing the same I wouldnt waste energy of course, but I still wouldnt be fine with it or admire and respect the way that person thinks. I dont see that as disrespect. Its somewhere in between or in absence of both respect and disrespect. I dont like, admire or respect the way he reacted but I didnt insult nor was I rude to him back for it.

ah i see the confusion here.

you think that respecting someones opinion = respecting the opinion itself?

no. thats not how it works.

but i understand you now.

"while i completely disagree with what you just said, i will fight and die for your right to say it any day of the week"

to paraphrase the old saying regarding freedom of speech.

ah i see the confusion here.

you think that respecting someones opinion = respecting the opinion itself?

no. thats not how it works.

but i understand you now.

"while i completely agree with what you just said, i will fight and die for your right to say it any day of the week"

to paraphrase the old saying regaring freedom of speech.

Btw, I think we uhm... derailed from the thread. :)

You are saying that you can respect someones opinion without respecting the opinion itself?

Btw, I think we uhm... derailed from the thread. :)

You are saying that you can respect someones opinion without respecting the opinion itself?

no, this is the topic, and if it isnt, its close enough.

im saying i respect people for having a different opinion than mine.

doesnt in any way, shape or form - impede on my rights to have my opinion.

and when i dont want people to take away my right to have my own opinion - then i must respect other peoples opinion, too.

no matter the subject.

This statement is true, I think. Respect does not necessarily mean 'agree with'. Opinions can be powerful motivating forces behind the most heinous of crimes and bad behaviour and thus demand respect in the sense that they deserve particular attention and consideration - "this opinion has the power to cause harm so be bloody careful" - but an opinion itself does not necessarily deserve any respect in the sense of 'esteem'. For similar reasons, deliberately ridiculing a ridiculous idea or belief does not necessarily mean ridiculing the person who holds it, although if they strongly identify with or have invested themselves in that idea they may disagree :) More fool them, I say.

• Like 2

no, this is the topic, and if it isnt, its close enough.

im saying i respect people for having a different opinion than mine.

doesnt in any way, shape or form - impede on my rights to have my opinion.

With that I completely agree. Ok Ill try it your way.

I did respect his religion (opinion), I can respect his overreaction but I would still strongly disagree with it which isnt equal to disrespect.

Ok well, I may have misused the word disrespect at the beginning.

This statement is true, I think. Respect does not necessarily mean 'agree with'. Opinions can be powerful motivating forces behind the most heinous of crimes and bad behaviour and thus demand respect in the sense that they deserve particular attention and consideration - "this opinion has the power to cause harm so be bloody careful" - but an opinion itself does not necessarily deserve any respect in the sense of 'esteem'. For similar reasons, deliberately ridiculing a ridiculous idea or belief does not necessarily mean ridiculing the person who holds it, although if they strongly identify with or have invested themselves in that idea they may disagree :) More fool them, I say.

I highly agree with everything you said here. :D

I guess I messed up in the wordplay somewhere.

The fact that non-native English speakers such as yourself and others I talk to every day are familiar enough with my language to engage in wordplay AT ALL is humbling and makes me aware of some of the privileges I was born into.

• Like 4

The fact that non-native English speakers such as yourself and others I talk to every day are familiar enough with my language to engage in wordplay AT ALL is humbling and makes me aware of some of the privileges I was born into.

never even thought about it that way.

but its true. our country is at the moment invaded by immigrants, and the ones who go out of their way to learn swedish - gets more of my respect than others. so i get where youre coming from.

I'll just throw my 2 cents here:

You are discussing too much about a very subjective matter, there's no point in it!

I tried to follow your discussion but I realised it's pointless and I'd rather glare out of my window since it's a beautiful day here in sunny Greece and if I wasn't working I'd probably be swimming!

• Like 2

Some pages ago there was a saying that for me is the essence ... concerning that these people always are taking -- but when it comes to giving something, the ice gets quite thin...

2 cents to that:

At parties, a very trivial example is when some people, apparently high beyond the roof, clumsily make their way through the crowd and bump into them (say, a harmless bump, not some "jerk on speed who's catching flies hitting people" kind of "disruption") -- that's the point where it gets interesting ... one can observe various reactions from some people being kind, give them a hug or whatnot before they send them on their way (they give them a little of their time) ... and some who are openly showing annoying faces to these bumpers up to getting rude by pushing them off.

And while this is not only limited to the people who look like "hippies", or wear clothes associated with that culture, it's especially there where the behavior stands in stark contrast...

Best sight are these "Bademeister" (german word for "people looking like lifeguards - musculous and brown skin") guys in one of these shirts with an Aum or Buddha on it, losing it on one of the drugheads :P

• 4 weeks later...

Back to topic:

What I like about Goa Trance parties, and I'm just talking about my experiences, is that they are unpolitical and just about people having fun, enjoying the music and themselves. Everybody is free to whatever he or she likes to do, dance like a maniac (without hurting other people) chill in the corner, connect with other people and so on. In this free space people also try to express their creativity which is good, and alot of people accept it that way.

Also that people are nice to each other should be regarded, not considered as annoying.

And for this drug issue: I never made the experience that someone forced me to take them. Actually people who take drugs are very kind, when you say no it is no. When I think about people drinking alcohol, a no won't be taken seriously and they will sometimes even try to find ways to get you intoxicated.

I don't understand what is the problem with non-familiar cultures and their traditions. If it is not to insensitive how they act with it, it should be okay.

In Japan they are so much in to German culture, they use so many figures and pictures of German mythology and fairy tale, but nobody complains about it. Iranian youth also look more to the west then to their own culture or the cultures surrounding them. The problem is just that people accept it more if people like Western customs than the other way around (as you can see in this thread).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That sounds like a lot of people I know. They think they're doing people a favour by telling them the "right" way and often don't realise what a cunt they're being.