Blair Thaumic

Music purchasing habits  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which format(s) do you buy?

• Physical only
    • Digital only
    • Both physical and digital

I'm curious which format people here prefer to buy, physical CDs or digital files?

Personally, I still buy both. No strong preference between the two, though I tend to go with digital a little more than CD because of no shipping costs/hassle.

To put all cards on the table, I'm releasing a digital album this year, and I may be doing a CD version as well. Depending on how many CD dinosaurs there are :)

Since I collect cds I go for physical.

To put all cards on the table, I'm releasing a digital album this year, and I may be doing a CD version as well. Depending on how many CD dinosaurs there are :)

There are very few labels that have abandoned cds, so I guess ppl still buy them.

After 20 years of physical only, I passed to Physical+digital in 2013 and moved to digital only in the end of 2014.

Wasn't there another recent thread more or less related to this one ?

I voted "Physical & Download" because I was physical only for the last 10 years since I got into psy, but I'm now weaning myself off of CDs. I still feel like I would prefer them, but I know there's no point, plus the shipping from the other side of the world sucks.

Side note: I find it a little funny that at the same time I started moving away from physical media entirely, I met and starting dating a girl whose circle of friends is kind of "vinyl or nothing!"

I voted "Physical & Download" because I was physical only for the last 10 years since I got into psy, but I'm now weaning myself off of CDs. I still feel like I would prefer them, but I know there's no point, plus the shipping from the other side of the world sucks.

Side note: I find it a little funny that at the same time I started moving away from physical media entirely, I met and starting dating a girl whose circle of friends is kind of "vinyl or nothing!"

Balanced ;)

I went digital years ago. When I look at my old CD collection I feel like I'm looking at a pile of garbage :wacko: All the energy and material that went into making a CD with case and booklet, then shipping it round the world... with the implied prerequisite that I have the necessary archaic technology to play it (which I rarely do these days). If only there was a simpler alternative :P

I'm not trying to judge people that still buy CDs, but I realize that is exactly what I'm doing :blush::lol:

I only buy digital if it is the only option. I like the entire package : liner notes, artwork, and a physical CD I can keep on a shelf.

Physical only... Thats already sooo much, I don't really manage to get along all the digital as well...

Exactly the same here. I use CD releases as a filter to cut down on the music I buy, but I still struggle to keep up! :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMO you could enlarge the list of poll options with: "most physical, only few digital" and vice versa...

I voted physical.

However it's:

90% physical and only that.

10% go to digital but only if there is no other choice at all. The last Magnetrixx EP for example, there was just no other way to get it.

However, I buy only those digital releases I really really NEED. There are a ton that I like, but I don't buy. Atmos for example, I like him and there's a ton of good tunes released digitally ... but I won't buy them. And meanwhile I don't even illegally download anything copyright-protected anymore, I just listen on youtube...

Digital releases have become somewhat tiresome to me, as off the chart as this may sound. Yes the practicality is supposed to be increased with them, but I have to organize the files, manage playlists ... and not forget about them and such ... already the point of reserving my mental capacity to think that I have these files and also 'should' listen to them (when it does not concern an artist that I superbly like) is enough to make me prefer physical, which I can see, touch and feel. I used to have a collection of mp3s ... but that is so "00s" to me already (it feels ... while it's more like up to 2013, 2014...), I didn't even take the backup of my playlist to my new computer ... it's lost but I don't even care. On the 'puter, listening to mp3s I always get distracted ... with my CD player not because the CD player can't multitask and I can't play Hearthstone or read blog entries about the downfall of the western economic world while playing music, I can only look through the booklet and slowly caress the CD case with my fingers.....

And who needs mp3s anyway, Youtube is the thing for me now, all "digital" music I listen to there now... no goddamn loading directories into Winamp ... laziness over matter.

• Like 1