Artists that manage to stand on their own

Taika-Kim

Talpa/The Riddler (if we discount his collaborations with other Tesseract guys). His production style changed over the years but the overall aesthetics and melodic approach stay more or less consistent

Terrafractyl

^ This +1

Terrafractyl has imitators now, but frankly they were all fans of his beforehand and are mostly found on his own label ha...

Nice discussion, I was also thinking of 1st Sandman album, nice soft goth industrial style. James Reipas for sure!

I myself was thinking of artists that make music that is psytrance, but not only strictly in the confines of psytrance, having created kind of a genre of their own. Since 99% of trance is genre music, where artists already beforehand have a pretty rigid idea about what they are going to do, and they then stay inside that spot only.

Maybe a good distinction is, that a style is so original that it takes balls to imitate it?-) Like general psytrance, it doesn´t really sound like anything particular. But, if somebody created a 90% copy of Twisted for example, that would seem pretty crass, no matter how good the job was.

Process had ace sound design, I think he was maybe the first one who used modulars heavily? But the songs are not that great mostly in my opinion... And he admitted as much recently when I asked about some stuff, that he always was more into the sound design aspect than finetuning the songs. So it´s too bad he never collaborated in some dream team with a more dedicated songwriter...

Process had ace sound design, I think he was maybe the first one who used modulars heavily? But the songs are not that great mostly in my opinion... And he admitted as much recently when I asked about some stuff, that he always was more into the sound design aspect than finetuning the songs. So it´s too bad he never collaborated in some dream team with a more dedicated songwriter...

You mean, other than Beast (w/ Simon Posford) which was easily Simon's high water mark for psychedelic trance as well...

New goa was a little uncreative but since 2010 that is not true anymore, the modern scene exploded in creativity, I am looking forward to a lot of the new releases! :)

Creativity + quality... you will see this year festivals will be full of new goa trance producers :)

Filteria for 12 years he remain same, Agneton for 10, Goasia... then bunch of newer artists, they have their style which you can easily recognize on parties :)

The problem is that most really unique artists released one or two albums, sometimes not even an album, and then vanished from the scene. Look at all the amazing compilations from 97-99, full of totally freaky and weird psy-music the likes of which isn't heard any more. One off collaborations, super underground friend-of-a-friend artists.

Spectral had the best morning music of anyone and folded after one album. Same with Acid Rockers and psybreaks. Noosphere released two great goa/tech trance albums and then vanished, there were whispers of Morphem returning but then Raphael died. Chi-A.D. is mostly making games now, IIRC so is Deviant Electronics...

Though I should mention Zirrex as another artist who doesn't really follow anyone else. Lots of new (at least to goa) musical ideas, while still remaining goa.

In R Voice also does some good stuff here and there and is (or was?) very prolific, kinda hard to follow with so many aliases though. :P

Elysium definitely has his own trademark sound too.

We probably need a place (offline) for people to innovate and come up with their own style, without worrying about what genre it slots into. Maybe freeform musical jam/DJ nights at non-trance venues?

From the nights side I have to say Silent Horror has always stood out for me. He has wonderful leads that just really grab my attention, can always tell his tracks apart. Also really nice composition and hasn't crossed over to the fun yet somewhat annoying "psy core" high bpm style.

Actually the label his albums are on, Devils Mind, is one of the best IMO labels for darker styles.

Sandman for sure. His sounds really took me in to space.

Funny how to me Hallucinogen was really great but I wouldn't have said so unique, whereas the early Shpongle & the Twisted Eclipse compilation really took me somewhere special.

I remember listening to "Are You Shpongled?" pretty much a few days after it was released & going WTF? I could't understand it at all. It took me almost a year to get my mind around the sound & style.

When I trekked the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal in '99 this was on constant rotation at the end of the day when I'd sit & stare in to the amazing night sky. Life was so simple for me back then, no kids. No bills. I had worked hard for 2 years after school doing 3 jobs & had loads of cash saved. I spent 3 years travelling the world, every now and then seeing my girlfriend *now wife* if she travelled (she was at uni) but apart from that just 3 years of ultimate freedom.

*sigh*

• Like 1

Heh, about Process collaborations: so right about those one Goaconstrictor mentioned, never should write these three in the night after reading scientific papers for 12 hours, I didn´t think of individual tracks at all :P Spawn was that track that was basically really good, but was played in practically EVERY set for like 6 months when it was released, I got soooo tired of it...

Process/Nervasystem collab sounds like a million tons of fun! I checked it, it´s indiegogo and they have quite a lot already, I hope they can scrape the rest together, since over there you get to keep the money even if the goal is not met.

Funny, I was kind of thinking about the first Son Kite albums too...

The first Kino Yoko album was pretty incredible, nothing to compare against really, and still very musical and coherent. Closest maybe Sandman all old Amiga music :D I should check one day what he´s up to now. BIOT was great, too bad he kind of disappeared I think.

Shaolin Wooden Men, Rip Van Hipy etc for sure :) But about the Psy-Harmonics stuff standing on their own, without associations to the psy scene, I´m not sure. Like, if trance and the wholy party scene didn´t exist, and Shaolin Wooden men released an album, what would be people's reaction?

Rip Van Hippy

Odd Harmonic

Scozbor

Outolintu

Haltya

(My Little Ponies... you speaking of Vishnudata? It was a rainbow of unicorns, but similar in look)

Wow... Nice choices. By the way, nice to meet another geezer.