Artists that manage to stand on their own

Taika-Kim

Which artists created their own path, ultimately independent of the psy/goa genre limitations, while still managing to sound like trance? Artists that have really their own sound, enjoy at least some popularity, and did a career of more than one or few albums? Who sound like nobody else?

Regardless of what I think of each of these (like Juno Reactor I was never very fond of), these step to mind first:

Shpongle/ Younger Brother

Juno Reactor

Infected Mushroom

Also in the more underground, there must be something. Maybe... Ubar Tmar? Texas Faggott? (actually a lot of Finnish 2000s artists...) Hmm, there's a lot of stuff like Nervasystem that´s kind of original, but remind really closely other things, like he does the 90s "Phantasm sound" generally...

Oh, and also: "has appeal outside of hardcore trance fans.". Since those are in my opinion interesting artists, showing some universal appeal to people who don't give extra psy-points for the music :D

shpongle isn't psytrance, i wouldn't count that.

infected is more psytrance-flavoured music-that's-popular-on-the-radio-right-now. if we count them we'd have to count most releases on joof or pharmacy records (being psytrance-flavoured (normal) trance), or cybernetika (same with dnb/breaks), etc. etc.)

the only ones that really stand out by being completely unique (and don't just mix up genres but are rather a genre of themselves) are imho juno reactor and eat static.

This might seem like a strange one to mention, but Cosmosis. Bill managed to go on for a long time and keep a style that I think is very much his own. Sure, the bass lines and general production moved towards full on, but albums like Synergy, Contact, and Intergalactic are all highly unique things.

• Like 1

From old producers definitely Sandman.

I was about to say Sandman as well.

And maybe Dark Soho (if we forget the 3rd album). Oh well perhaps it sounds a bit similar to Tim Schuldt but not too much IMO, still a very recognizable and personal style.

• Like 1

Hmmmm very nice question.

Khetzal has a quite distinctive sound: Melodic/Eastern flavoured but not cheesy
Ubar atmar/Joujouka
I could say that Aes Dana kind of created a whole new sound, I'd say it "Ultimae style" which has been imitated by many nowadays but initially it was unique
Shaolin Wooden Men - that's some tottaly wierd stuff

Edit: Psyko Disko as well

• Like 1

i dont quite get the topic. for me almost all artists stand on their own. what am I missing?

do you mean they have a unique sound that differs from the rest while still in the goatrance genre?

then id say

Dado

Deedrah

MFG (NOTHING sounds like MFG. Not even astral or california sunshine - who is closest)

Talamasca

Boris Blenn

Technossommy

Biot

.... could go on....

It's hard to pick, but I would say Infected Mushroom. I know they're far far away from being psychedelic nowdays, but during the whole time they had the unique sound from the early psytrance days towards the dubstep. The quality of production is in their own league. Even they don't have anything in common with darkpsy or something, I really think that during the first two albums, especially on Classical Mushroom they created that horror/gothic atmosphere and it was unique to me back than, and even nowdays I can't find artists who are capable of doing such weird combinations.

Pleiadians and Etnica are also one of the few who had the unique sound and vibe in their tracks, even nowdays we got some artists who are inspired by them and closely following their succesful formula, but Pleiadians are the undisputed Goa trance champions in my book. You know, when you hear Pleiadians, you know it's goddamn Pleiadians, it's simple.

So yeah, Infected Mushroom and Pleiadians/Etnica (even they can't be matched in terms of commercial success, but I judge music here only).

• Like 1

if pleiadians fit the bill, (aka the topic) which is wierd, then all other artists do aswell.

astral, hallucinogen, prana, gnotr, transwave, orion, sun project, biot, atmos, digital sun, blue planet corp, cyan, and pretty much every great goa artist to date

will the OP please clarify the topic once more.

as not yet mentioned ones I'd say: Banco De Gaia and Shiva Chandra

And I would rather have mentioned Solar Fields instead of Aes Dana ... because even in Ultimae territory, his sound has stayed quite unique to me. But maybe that's just taste.

And back in the days I'd have said S-Range ... but that does not count so much anymore. Yet even though the sound has changed a lot, the production remains quite peculiar...

...and for a non-psy one, see my sig :-)

Process, Xerox and .... eeehhh memory comon now dont fail me.... FUCK have to look up in my library, right PASSENGER

for me, these three kinda have that same sound. I dont know why, but I always tend to put these three in the same style.

____

this is one wierd topic. but i like it.

its really wierd though and I dont get it.

Am I the only one who's noticed that practically all artists mentioned started and/or were active in the '90s?

because almost all new music is shit

Tekniset is fairly unique sounding and from the 2000s

James Reipas

From old producers definitely Sandman.

Those initial two tracks by him on Balagan Symbiosis are still powerful today. Sandman has some wicked skill.

Also, OOOD, Koxbox, Eat Static, X-Dream, The Delta, & Spirallianz.

• Like 1

ouch..

that aint true guys :P

tons of current awesome artsits and most blow the great 70% of oldschool artists away. (The only way that I can say that so comfortably is; there are THOUSANDS of oldschool acts, and the 'great' encompasses the ~100 artists of that era, and hundreds, if that, of new school acts, which about 10-50 can be claimed great)

..and in case uve forgotten - this is a discussion forum, hence im stating my opinion, I aint wiki and I aint stating facts. I am however, stating my honest opinion. I know that goes without saying but Ive noticed sometimes .. it seems forgotten.

• Like 1

noone mentioned him ? well, he is infact acidtrance, but he DO crossover enough into goa to deserve a mention. (So not only is he one of the greatest to ever produce chillout, up there with Global Communication, Solar Fields, and Aphex Twin - his acid/goa stuff is proper proper music and well deserved to be mentioned ALOT on a psychedelic trance forum. Yall dont think these tracks are psychedelic then youre already crazy :D

SOLAR QUEST

"Im off to goa"

and

"A+B = C in D#" which just happen to work brilliantly as a second layer to the B side of that LP.

and noone can mention solar quest without mentioning the architecht of the Roland TB303 (for psychedelic music) - "Acid Air Raid" 11 min of technological and musical prodigy bliss in the form of the TB 303. (and TR 808, 909)

(yes, I dislike the key changes too, but fukit. This man showed us the psychedelic features of the 303, and was the ultimate pioneer of that synth - for the entire Goatrance genre, IMHO.) He made this track in 94 and that is when it became widely used in Goatrance aswell.)

BOYAKASHA.

I dont even have to put youtube links yall already know