Battle of the Future Buddhas - Everything ( Chronicle of Mystery Records,Dec 2015)

Time_Trap

111pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

The legends of psytrance return in the end of 2015 with a new album. In accordance to the album's title, this album has elements of almost everything they have released so far.So expect to listen almost everything : goa'ish,techy,psychedelic,dissonant,experimental,noisy,dark.Of course do not expect to find overpolished productions of tin psytrance that lack substance.One couldn't tell that the albums is released in 2015 just by listening to it, and that's a good thing.In comparison with their previous releases I would say this album mostly resembles Demonoizer combined with Schlabbaduerst Rekkords compilations 1,3 and 7,and maybe some of the more spacey/cyber/tech psytrance tracks of Urban Legends,their most recent album.This album also has a storytelling concept for you there to interpret.For me it's a trip from the dungeons to outer space. Track by track description follows:

01 "ItŽs Only Disko"
The intro track is groovy,hypnotic and disonnant, the kind of music that warms up the party before the heavy stompers.

02 "I Don't Know"
This track is dark and spooky, progressing from the initial groovy hypnotic disonance of "ItŽs Only Disko" to some evil,devilish post-industrial psytrance of Schlabb 3 and/or 7.Things start to get real harsh.

03 "Lacking it All - into the Valley of the Shadow of Death"
Entrancing noises and raw psychedelic effects combined with some groovy, dancey kick and snares make this track the most danceable so far in the album. The (dark) goa'ish anthems that follow later transform this track into a unique blend of trippy sounds,dark atmospheres and dancing beats.

04 "Time"
This is one of the most 'minimal' track so far, continuing in the noisy atmospheric darkness concept of the album although a tad less overloaded."Time" acts as a bridge in this story, starting the transition from the dungeons to the spacey cybertechy landscapes.Of course, do not even think that the darkness will completely go away, it just becomes a bit toned down.

05 "True Hope"
Things start to become more digital and techy. Pinches of hope appear in the background, the effects become slightly less harsh and the atmospheres more extraterrestrial.Are we getting out of the dungeon?

06 "The Cupboard"
Spacey tech trance, laser sounds and battle of the future buddhas trademark anthems.Preparing to take off.

07 "Consciousness"
The cyber/techy atmosphere is still there, but now there are some more distinct goa elements leading the track.There is something from "Twin Sharkfins" here. We are no longer under or on the ground. Some light can be seen.

08 "Faith"
We are still in goa realms.In good faith, everything starts to slowly calm and clear down back to normal.

09 "The Infinite Process"
The outro track is a bit more downtempo,but even more goa'ish, most likely the most characteristic goa sounds in the whole album.An oldschool ending of an intense story.

Rating: 9/10

Samples & Buying here

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Great review! Like Time_Trap said this album has a bit of every style that came from the Buddhas. Including...

"Death. Destruction. Upheaval. Unrest."

The latest offering from the originators of the Upsalla forest trance sound is heavy as sh*t. Fat boy on a see saw heavy. There was a Japanese horror flick awhile back where the living person suffered from back pain and we eventually find out it was because the ghost was literally sitting on their shoulders. Creepy as shit. That's what the first half of this album was.

It's Only Disko- A tribute to Psyko Disko that was crunchy, groovy, acidic, chaotic forest. Makes sense, I didn't understand them either.

I Don't Know- MuekuxJ.gif

Nailed it. Oy. After 3 minutes this was a thumping wall of noise.

Lacking It All (The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death Remix)- Whew! How to describe this? Crucified on the cross as a hurricane of nails flays the very sinew from your bones. This is prince of darkness with detuned synth leads as only the Buddhas know how to do. It drags your ass down the rabbit hole. Game over man. Game over.

Time- This is a wobbly bit of despair that seems like a drug addled tailspin. I hear voices and they want me to masturbate. For like...six hours in a row. Help. Me. Dies thius music come with a number to suicide prevention?

True Hope- "So death created time to grow the things that it would kill."

The Matthew McConnaughey sample adds just the right touch of supernatural horror to this tale. The light melody at the end puts a human face on the bludgeoning torture. And at nearly 10 minutes you feel like the evil is everlasting. Making music this crazy might get you bumped up to Suomi serial killer.

The Cupboard- "What if there was no tommorow? There wasn't one today!"

Light. Let there be at least a little light. This was the track where he made the transition from Pinhead torturing your soul to your not unhappy place. Notice I didn't say happy place. No unicorns and rainbows, but not flesh chewing vampires either. Sounds rather aggro industrial and it means business.

Consciousness- cOctWzM.gif

Hell yeah! Scando-goa swampy infestation!

Faith- Ummm...did he take a Xanax for this one? It's more mellow with less bombastic aggression. Maybe he tired himself out cause this sounds like someone let the air out of his torture balloon.

The Infinite Process- "You live in a different world."

Yes I do. And it's filled with chocolate, naked ladies, and chocolate naked ladies. He closes it out with a return to that dark, scando sound, but it's a fairly week farewell.

The first half of this album is as dark as it gets and then it eventually transitions towards the light. The Scando-goa we come to expect is sprinkled here and there with his signature swampy, forest sound. You can't be dark all the time because you'll have no friends and bump into the furniture. However in his attempt to lighten up I felt he mailed it in with some unfocused, rambling tracks. It's pretty clear where his dominance lay. The Cupboard and Consciousness were the only ones that hit the sweet spot. Good experience for me, but not without its problems.

Chronicle of Mystery Records

• Like 1

The latest offering from the originators of the Upsalla forest trance sound is heavy as sh*t. Fat boy on a see saw heavy. There was a Japanese horror flick awhile back where the living person suffered from back pain and we eventually find out it was because the ghost was literally sitting on their shoulders. Creepy as shit. That's what the first half of this album was.

I think you might be thinking of a Thai horror film called Shutter.

This album rocks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...