04. PsiloCybian GodHead

05. PsiloCybian Sphagnum

06. PsiloCybian Fatline

07. PsiloCybian Flitzed Out

08. PsiloCybian Trippy Looking Sunsets

09. PsiloCybian & Audioform From Another Dimension

10. PsiloCybian & Deimos Unforeseen Consequences

https://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/bms/bms1cd014.html

PsiloCybian is a Croatian artist Saa Dukić, whos active on the scene only from 2010 but just like his countrymen is incredibly prolific and managed to release 5 full-length albums already, including a down-tempo one. My collection so far included only his 2013s Dreamtime printed by Ovnimoon Rec. and I liked that album very much, because it successfully merged the full-on and progressive trance stylistics. Therefore I eagerly anticipated his latest CD GodHead to be released in Dec 2015 as the samples sounded very juicy, suggesting further evolution of the artist in the direction of heavier, more acidic and psychedelic sounds. However, after listening to GodHead good 20 times, I have ambivalent feelings about it.

I like the style of the record: the balance is tilted compared to Dreamtime even more to the full-on side, but one can still hear those house / progressive influences: the sounds are smoothed-out, with relatively slow attack when it comes to both volume & filter envelopes, therefore rare are the very harsh, aggressive tones even though the album gets darker in 2nd half. Theres a lot of space, echoes and reverbs and in general the production quality is very high: the sound picture is meaty and dense, but at the same very clear and transparent. The mastering seems a bit more quiet than other CDs out there, but on the other hand this gives the sounds a room to breathe and theres always a volume knob to compensate I very much like the sound of bass on this album, which although typical has this swing, the syncopated funk to it. Personally, when I hear this records then on a most basic organoleptic level it feels as if someone was pouring hot honey to my ears and was covering me with a gentle, plush blanket it is so pleasing! When it comes to style, it is similar to Braincells (theres even a collaboration here), albeit slightly more psychedelic in the background one will find lots of interesting, testy detail and the foreground is ruled by acidic lines: from the typical, heavily accented and resonating 303-s to more elastic, wiggly and springy squiggles in the sonic mid-range. Most of the tunes are similar, though there are a few breaking away from the conformity: I Can Feel My Brain filled with samples from the sci-fi flick Lucy is propelled by turbo-charged spirals in rhythm section and finished-off with ornamental flourishes in 2nd half, OddWood enchants with slick synth work, where 3-4 loops interweave and transform between each other to create intricate sonic patchworks, the titular GodHead is a hard, relentless acid-bath, Fatline overwhelms with deep, electronic screeches and the mid-section acid run wouldnt be out of place on Cosmosis Synergy, while the finishing Unforeseen Consequences is an intriguing, rock-reggae party wind-down.

All in all, the album is very even and theres no filler in sight, unless and heres the but one categorises it all as a filler in general. You see, the records *sounds* incredibly well and pleasant, is very correct and technically accomplished, but same could be told of his previous work. What I miss is the next step either in more melodic, atmospheric route or completely to the opposite, into more experimental, far-out sounds, forms and tempos. Theres something to it, because you can hear that 1st part of the album is lighter, more melodic and the 2nd more heavy and psychedelic; but the difference is delicate, barely perceptible and may as well be a figment of my imagination. What can clearly be heard though is that PsiloCybian exerts expert control over sound & rhythms, but gets more uncertain when it comes to melodic work he doesnt know how and where to lead the melodic progression, so he ends up stumbling on few notes repeated in sequence to mixed results. My impression is he could do wonders working in team with some talented musician, but then again this is true for majority of producers on our scene of bedroom DJ-s.

Summarising, it is a good album and one can hear that PsiloCybian develops as an artists, although at this moment hes at the cross-roads looking for his own signature sound and direction. Personally I recommend buying this, because even if its not compulsory right now it may sometime in the future be viewed as a stepping stone for great artist. It doesnt hurt that the album looks great on CD shelve, with the hand-painted (I think?) cover depicting the titular god with head full of stars and body composed of plants and creatures of different kinds. Simple, but very effective and to the point.

4/5

Review by Antic

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

7IoeRLy.gif

Yeah I've been stuck on this one for awhile. I've listened to it over and over again on headphones and blaring out of my speakers. Just haven't been able to get the review out. For me Sasa is one of the best psytrance artists around, making acidic and truly psychedelic music. His last psytrance album Dreamtime was a blast from start to finish and so when he sent me the files for his latest album I was really looking forward to it. Now since its release I have spoken with him and learned a bit about this album and how it came to be. This album was made over two years and according to Sasa during the worst time of his life. The cover I think truly depicts where his state of mind was (pure guesswork, it's not like I psychoanalyzed him). Well, like all good artists he has taken turmoil and turned it into great art.

First off, great review Antic. That's about as in depth as it goes. Psilocybian is a very prolific artist and most of what he has shared with us is truly fantastic. I believe he has picked up the torch that was dropped by Braincell and just f*cking run with it. And as Antic mentioned the very first track is a collaboration with Mr. Cell. Of course I find it one of the weakest on the album, but it is there nonetheless. And it's not even a bad track I just treat it as an entry point into the album proper.

This album is a tale of tenths (he says riding Antic's coattails) and 8of the ten are certainly more dark than the rest. As I explained to Sasa. sometimes when an album doesn't grab me right away I listen to it in reverse, last track first, just to get a lay of the land. Once the tunes are familiar I find it easier to digest and appreciate. And that's what happened here. This album is not as brilliant as Dreamtime. Well, not all of it and definitely not the first few times I gave it a spin. But after playing over and over, it hit me like a train. Most of it is what you've come to expect. Acid lines, thumping beats and evolving melodies with Flitzed Out bening my favorite. It's electric and the last track is a downtempo/psychedelic hybrid that immerses one in a post apocalyptic atmosphere. A few tracks (as Antic mentioned, I mean why the f*ck am I typing?)...not so much. I Can Feel My Brain Godhead (nasty bit of 303 business) and Oddwood feels like is should've been in the darker portion of the album as they are lush, bubbly psychedelia. None of it is bad nor even close to mediocre. That's how good this guy is, even when he's off his game he still delivers.

In my opinion most of this album is great and well worth a purchase. Funny, I was recently chatting with him and my physical copy arrived at that very moment. It's a very good addendum to his previous album and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Psyshop

Beatspace

• Like 2

...This album is not as brilliant as Dreamtime...

Hmm, funny how taste works! I personally found Dreamtime very good albeit a bit ...boring, because I couldn't find anything that stood out. For me it was a collection of correct, faultless tracks yet without any striking, differentiating features. This one is - IMO, of course - a step further, with more pronounced elements and more identity to individual tracks, whereas when I think of Dreamtime I see a homogeneous, uniform 'pulp'. Mind you, a very high quality one, but a 'pulp' nonetheless :)

One thing that struck me is how great this album works while driving - because mastering is quieter than other contemporary full-on releases, it can be cranked up higher which puts that lovely, thumping bass/mid lines in the forefront. I already drifted away (in my head) few times while on the road, which can be dangerous but oh so worth it!!! :blush:

Regardless, I'm already looking forward to his next album :wub:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great sound-design, great production, but melodies are a bit weak. This guy seems to enjoy the production aspect of music the most (he has made the awesome series of tutorials as Soundmagus), but from my perspective his music would benefit from more interesting melodic developments.

Of the whole album I liked the closing downtempo track the most.

• 3 months later...