Psynews Contest: the results

Rotwang

Ok time for an update:

We have all the unmastered tracks and around Monday will send them for mastering. We're also working on the cover.

I guess until the end of the month the compilation will be ready to be submitted on ektoplazm.

Ok time for an update:

We have all the unmastered tracks and around Monday will send them for mastering. We're also working on the cover.

I guess until the end of the month the compilation will be ready to be submitted on ektoplazm.

Cool. Looking forward to it :)

• 2 weeks later...

One could think it's quite unlikely to reach famous artists to share some time learning techniques from them. I was quite reluctant searching for some famous goa trance artists who would probably turn my request down, but I was right asking because Colin happened to be OK to teach me a fair amount of knowledge and techniques for a week, which was invaluable, as he's gathered so much knowledge over the years.

As a side note, nowadays, those who have Cubase 8 Pro can easily collaborate using the Steinberg cloud. I have not tried it, but it looks promising. I think Bitwig also does it. I guess the only requirement would be using the same VSTIs.

Thanks for the votes.

BTW, these 2 tunes are pretty damn good! :wub:

Imba - Serbian 604 Revolution

Profetia - Rage Against the Crashing

I'm glad to be listening to such quality goa trance in 2016! ;)

Thank you very much. Warms my heart to hear that :)

Will the artists get a chance to listen to the finished mastering before the compilation gets released?

Would not be a bad idea, however it might slow the process down quite a bit... Hope it's not going to be compressed too much.

Fucking loving this mastering!

Super happy with results, loud enough but still with much dynamics, track is phat! Can't wait to play it next weekend... and looking forward to release of this compilation :)

who does the mastering?

Apparently some people called it amateuristic. Can you believe that shit?

Nope! It was definately one of the best covers yet :P

It actually exists! :)

If you're talking about our Psynews album, I believe you. People tend to look for long-established names in the list, regardless of quality ;)

Im pretty sure he was refering to the fact that people claimed his initial album cover for this release was amateur. That is how I percieved it, anyway. I could be wrong.

Apparently the team have decided to use my master of 100 Billion Neurons, rather than get their guy to do it. It will be interesting to compare it with the rest of the tracks - maybe I'll have to do a new master of our track to keep up ;)

I know that most artists would argue about which mastering is ideal, but you can't please everyone.

Speaking from my personal experience Igor doesn't brickwall the tracks and this is the main reason we chose him.

You must also consider that we don't have the luxury to pay hundreds of euros for each track. (This is not a jab against Igor, I personally think his mastering is fantastic).

You must also consider that we don't have the luxury to pay hundreds of euros for each track.

This. It is contest, made for fun and friendship, better connection between members/music lovers. And we knew we wont get rich, famous or have best masterings and promo ever... still i am super happy with end results.

It's friends compilation and one more proof that we are not just random forum full of trolls :)

It's not brickwalled like most of masterings today. So yup, comparing with these it is dynamic.

You know why they call it 'brickwalled', right? Because when you look at the waveform, it looks like a wall of bricks; a square block. Like this: http://postimg.org/image/xfn6vfarl/. In my own track there are subtleties and accents that are partially gone because of such mastering.

Brickwall.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, of course this is a release by and for friends and fans, I'm just pointing out the incorrect statements that don't correspond with what can actually be heard or measured. It's rather about the lack of knowledge than the lack of money. There's nothing wrong with the (limited or not) tools that are available, but with how they are used IMHO. I know this isn't going to change anything about this release, I'm saying this more out of trying to create some awareness.

The other aspects of the mastering sound fine. I, hopefully, can be thankful for being on the compilation, but at the same time still can say what I care about, right? :)

• Like 3