6. Stream of Conciousness

LUNECELL

7. Aurora

PEYO

8. Mercurial

GAIANA

9. Us Until the End

MARK DAY

Here we have a nice compilation of dark psytrance (forest) compiled by Peyo (Italy) and Gaiana (Netherlands), released a few months ago.

Refreshing sound, and while the tempo is pretty fast in pretty much every track, it is not too aggressive and sometimes has a relaxing feel.

The opening track is perhaps the most powerful of all, while tracks 2 and 3 try to set a gentler mood and make the listener ready for for a great night psytrance experience. Focus is put on building atmospheres, dark and mysterious, these tracks set the mood rightly for what is next to come.

Track 4 by Electrypnose and Malice in Wonderland has more groove for sure, and I believe more energy. The bassline is a bit more technoish too. It is the longest track of the disc (11 minutes) and one of my favourites, very well built and never sounds too long.

But track 5 by Via Axis sets the bar even higher (for me anyway), really catchy (fast) track with an awesome bassline, impressive. Sounds quite empty but it is a compliment here (not always the case).

Track 6 is very atmospheric with some dense forest layers and crunchy sounds, while track 7 starts with a terrific sinister bassline and gets more and more twisted towards the end, one of the most psychedelic track here I reckon, this track is a beauty. Haunting forest music at its best.

The intro of track 8 is brilliant, it feels like some morning moments are soon to come, but when that phat driving bassline hits the ground we are back to pure dark forest psytrance, with lots of bubbling sounds. Check out the middle of the track, it's amazing. Second half could have been less monotonous, still awsesome work overall.

The ending track by Mark Day has a similar intro to the previous one, clearly we are trying here to finish with a morning touch, hence this melodic break after the 3rd minute mark followed by some experimental work with real instruments, amazing emotional bridge here and the melodies carry on until the end. By far the most melodic track (the only real melodic one here) and for sure the most audacious and emotional of the compilation. Impressive. One of the most unique and story-telling track I have heard this year, and a perfect way to end the journey.

If you are looking for a conceptual forest CD, you got one here. The promo text at Beatspace said: "searching for music that can forge a bridge from dark foresty nights into mystical misty mornings" and I felt this is what we got. Mission accomplished. One of the good surprises of the year.

8/10 for me.

To buy at Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/8990/Blue+Hour+Sounds/Various/The+Dark+Side+of+Dawn/detail.aspxhttps://beatspace-bluehoursounds.bandcamp.com/album/the-dark-side-of-dawn-vv-aa-bhscd013

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/bhs/bhs1cd013.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...