18 years later and Electra is still unmatched power-wise

Ormion

So listening to I.F.O. 3cd made me realize that Electra is 18 years old and still no Goa track has even barely touched its power.
It feels like Pleidians said 'fuck it, let's go all in'. And they went. Unbelievable.

There are some tracks that came close, but Electra was and still is the single most powerful and intense Goa track ever written.

Do you think it will ever be topped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAIpzpBvVQ

Electra feels like travelling with the speed of light! One hell of a track!

In terms of how speedcore it feels, I can only think of this (the vibrations are different though, not so space travelling like pleiadians):

Another hell of a track!

Yep, Electra and Dimension 5's Harmonic Convergence are still my definitive tracks of the classic era, which have both the power and certain elegance. Obviously any schmuck can set a track to a ludicrous speed and repeat the same crescendo for eight minutes, but that's generally just silly. There's plenty of room for actual progression. Some artists got it, while still delivering relentlessly. That's what made the genre cool.

Although I admit that people have got really close sometimes - maybe even better, but nostalgia glasses distort the comparison. We might consider other tracks strictly better, had they been released in 1997, but that's just speculation.

I can't think of a more powerful goa track either.

taking from the comment above, harmonic convergence is a better track to my ears, but it's cause it's more floaty and soft.

electra isn't even in my top 50 goa tracks but I still can't think of a better harder goa track than it.. so pretty good topic, got me thinking through my entire tracklist in my head.

I don't have to listen to it, the sound of electra is one of those sounds whose dynamics are tatooed in the brain. that kick and the main lead is really hard and loud.

third best track on ifo anyway.

I'll be posting this everytime someone claims that something Pleiadians is unmatched in power or something like that.

For this one, I disagree. Very good track but power-wise IMO doesn't match Electra, doesn't match Howling at the moon (posted above) or Toi doi - Nuage d'encens.

An underrated powerful goa track is Jikooha - Bay hall magic.

But Electra, I think is more powerful than these tracks (but my least favourite of them).

I'll be posting this everytime someone claims that something Pleiadians is unmatched in power or something like that.

PWNED

I highly disagree. This one is a hell of a track, but power-wise is light years behind of Electra.

The only Goa track I can think that came close is Filteria-Navigate.

I'd say that Electra simply is very unique in terms of style and composition - I always think it would've been the perfect soundtrack for "the big bang" (not the sitcom of course :)).

- Complete layer madness, a dramatic sound arrangement cumulating in a heavy climax! - When I heared it for the first time long ago, it was almost too much for me, but after some listens I got its full beauty.

As already mentioned, there are still some other "high power" tracks out there but they all follow another direction (closest IMHO also would be "Howling at the moon", but this is more total acid insanity - which also deserves a big :wub:).

may i introduce you to artha:

of course you know artha, but this track is imho at least as intense as electra. ;)

the two tracks of synsun on golden vibes ii and a few filteria tracks (especially the higher civilization remix, or the big blue rmx if you also count this 'softer variant' of power) also come very close.

Seems like we have a different view on what "powerful" means. For me it's not "a million layers going through space at the speed of light" (not that Pleiadians or Filteria do that to me anyway).

I'l post some examples to illustrate my point, but a few tracks is never enough to be honest.

Slide - The Search

Merr0w - Pixelized Sight

Xenomorph - Shaari Avadon

MFG - When We Dream

Playful and sinister? Subtle and relentless? Fuck do I know, but powerful :)

in this context for me, hard and powerful is something like Replicant and Electra while in the same context soft would be Wormhole by filteria.

still hard and intense but gentler kick and bass line, and the leads aren't as harsh.

.. while real soft goa would be something like california sunshine - jajo, or artifact303 and celestial intelligence on the current scene. I most definitely enjoy the softer side, cause it's easier on the ears on high volume and more enjoyable cause of the subtlety in engenious melody and layer crafting.

I love talking about the subtleties of goatrance and it's interesting to read what people consider powerful and intense.

I think mostly we feel that epic acid climaxes in tracks are generally powerful and intense, for this thread and context I'm more talking about the sound and dynamics more so than the track itself.

ah the subtleties of goa, how wonderful a piece of discussion.

hehe, nice one you even had replicant in there aswell :) time slices remix is again a very nice notice for this context although I would consider it just as soft as big blue.

hehe. I think the kick is probably the most crucial here. it has to be eqd like it's gonna kick you in the neck and lungs. time slices is just kicking me in the synapses, same with wormhole and all my other favs, and is the nicest way to mix a kick imo.

electra is almost in the heart area while it's screeching leads are drilling on the brain. I prefer when leads are caressing and not drilling :D

.. which is why I'm a sucker for new goa like artifact303 and nova fractal. also a lot of others like many e-mantra tracks, cause of the soft style.

feels like you can push the limits on volume cause of the careful and masterful mixing of these guys.

that way of mixing started for me, at least that's when I first heard it, on astral - amen, and I couldn't barely listen to anything not mixed that way for a long time because sound quality wise, no one could top amen.

I feel a lot more open now and enjoy goa/psy even if I won't dare to listen to it too loud :)

Amen is definitely the album I've played the loudest. I think Techno drome was the track that had my lamp jump off the speaker and hit the floor. :D

edit: nice to see you mentioning Vision quest here aswell cause that is one of my favourite old school tracks just cause he mixed his music like it was new school but was old school. :P most of his tracks sound equally good but theme of vision quest just tops it for me. best transwave track. hehe :)

I use powerful and intense in a literal sense. Tracks that go to the extremes. Another example of super power Goa track without many layers is ManMadeMan-Drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_OcXSEj2Q

And of course Christof & DJ Mael-KLM (the original one) although that's more psytrance than Goa.

I prefer when leads are caressing and not drilling :D

The reason why I can't take acid on the dancefloor, it turns everything into drilling or chainsaws and I hate that :(

.. which is why I'm a sucker for new goa like artifact303 and nova fractal. also a lot of others like many e-mantra tracks, cause of the soft style.

feels like you can push the limits on volume cause of the careful and masterful mixing of these guys.

Yeah I prefer the slightly softer (or maybe "subdued" or something but anything that's not too harsh) style. My ears are quite sensitive and just can't take too much harshness especially at high volumes. Some exceptions exist of course.

Xenomorph @ ZNA at full blast from that F1 sound system was pure undiluted ear and brain candy (has anyone noticed that I'm quite the Xenomorph fan...) and I'll remember that gig for years to come :)

Paul, acid like the synapse dissolver or like in padmapanis profile pic? or both? hehe. :P

xeno is awesome in that setting with his almost evil psy and his awesome kickdrums. wish I was there and for a lot more than xenomorph :/

Mm yeah I thought you meant it literal aswell, ormion.. but goa is such a huge range a whole thread could be made (imo, was made, so thanks :)) just talking about the dynamics of electra and comparing it to others with similar strength and power which for me, Replicant is well close.

and even though almost all tracks in the thread let alone my suggestions are better than electra it's still hard to beat the shear power, soundwise, of electra.

.. in literal terms, there is easily 50 tracks that has more force than it.. so I focused on the dynamics alone otherwise it would just be another list thread, and there is enough goa to goa-round, eheh, and well, it's just too damned fun to discuss the small small things to not do it.

Yes, but then we are not talking about goa trance anymore, Talamasca - Sinai is very powerful but more psytrance, and then we have plenty of very powerful tracks in the full on category. Good example is the ending of Transwave - Rising high (without many layers), not my cup of tea though. Talamasca - Super hero is very powerful as well but here we are even further from goa trance...

sinai is like a very good example of a true goatrance dancefloor killer. it's a lot like, for example Miranda - Gnocchi. Both have that nice sh-101 goodness and acid style buildups and climaxes.

it's still (sh-)101% goa, but dancefloor goa :)

pretty sure tracks like those helped give birth to full on. which of course is "happy psy" and talamasca and miranda had a few "happy goa" moments. sinai is one... kick + bassline alone just signals true goatrance and can't get more goatrance than it.

.. and this is why I can talk goa all day. I'm such a nerd. :)

back on topic I'd like to bring in p.cok - double doper and Pigs in space - Solar. two epicly powerful and forceful goatrance stompers.