The First Goa Trance Party

Anu Katariina

We had Neogoa 5 Year Anniversary party in Helsinki, Finland two nights ago preliminary to which I and Proxeeus were interviewed in a psytrance radio programme Back To Mad. We chatted a lot in the studio outside the broadcast and I got this very interesting new info that the first goa trance party in the world was held in Finland in late 1980's. This was the knowledge of the radio host Tim Duster. Can anyone who knows history contribute? :)

1. Ior Bock @ Gumbostrand, Finland 1987

2. Pagan Productions (Ray Castle) @ Ruigoord, Amsterdam 1988-1991

3. Antaro,Scotty,Wally,Ernst (Pre-Voov) @ Sprötze & Wallys Garden, Hamburg 1989

I think it must be this Ior Bock guy of Finland who arranged the first party. And here we have this location @Gumbostrand! Thank you so much for the info @ulmehagen: this is why I love psynews so much: someone always knows!

I think it must be this Ior Bock guy of Finland who arranged the first party. And here we have this location @Gumbostrand! Thank you so much for the info @ulmehagen: this is why I love psynews so much: someone always knows!

You ought to read Toni Aittoniemi's Master Thesis based on the development of goa trance in Finland. In fact, it also states the same thing about Ior Bock being the first goa organiser in Europe (Ray Castle the year after).

• Like 1

As far as I know, VOOV in 1991 was the first real goa festival in Europe... And yes, they have video footage

Offtopic, but my first festival was Voov 2001 (10th anniversary). I still have the poster on my wall :)

And Ray Castle had a lecture about early goa trance history at Kosmos Festival in Finland this summer. Can't remember much of what he talked about but there were all sorts of nice bits of information there.

You ought to read Toni Aittoniemi's Master Thesis based on the development of goa trance in Finland.

Tim Duster told me also I should read it. Wonder where to get it..

Thanks so much @ Oopie for the link :) I will read it during Christmas holidays :) I think the whole Neogoa crew is interested in this also now that Finland has a big meaning to us ;)