The Squirrel

johnb820

So I was riding my bike home today from work and this surreal thing happened. A car was driving up along side me on my bike and I noticed that a squirrel dashed out in front of us. I had plenty of time to notice but the car just kept driving on by. For a brief moment the squirrel disappeared underneath the car and then it appeared when it made contact with the left rear wheel of the car. I saw the squirrel get struck, roll, and emerge. Then it was just lying there on its back, its arms twitching.

In that moment I asked myself, what am I supposed to do? I was hoping the squirrel would die so as to be put out of its misery. I kept riding and I still don't know what happened to the squirrel. And I was reminded that I too have been hit by cars before, multiple times while out riding. One of these days it could be me lying on the road twitching. What would I have done if I hit the squirrel while on my bike?

It was just kind of this weird moment. I mean, I know it's just a squirrel and in fact I passed by another dead carcass of a squirrel on the way home, but until it's dead I didn't want to see the poor thing mangled yet still alive somehow. And there is the disconnect between humans and what we think of as lesser species. We are all dead at some point. Can we at least care until then? But what do we do?

Oh well, that's my story.

• Like 1

Aah :(

It's understandable what you did, no one likes to see the last few moments when a person or an animal is about to die. We just try to avoid it as we know it will affect us.

But John , the least you could have done was, take the squirrel lying on the road and put it under a shade of tree. It would be very sad to know another vehicle going over the already half dead squirrel.

I very well know, we can't save them all. But I'm also sure that we can at least try. Try to cross that barrier of "thinking of doing what you know is right" to "actually doing it". Definitely, It's very hard. One has to overcome a lot of emotions but the feeling on content is unparalleled.

Lastly, I'm sorry you had to encounter a dying squirrel. Hope your mind is relaxed now. But it's good, these situations make us realise how important our life is and start respecting it.

Did you know that people of Bhutan ( the country which came up with the gross happiness index ) contemplate about death multiple times per day?

Thanks Starkraver. It was just a weird thing is all . I'm pretty sure moving the squirrel out of the road would not have prevented its death. It's not like we have hospitals for squirrels... unless it's my pet. It would, however, had to suffer an even longer period of time. Oh well.

Thanks Starkraver. It was just a weird thing is all . I'm pretty sure moving the squirrel out of the road would not have prevented its death. It's not like we have hospitals for squirrels... unless it's my pet. It would, however, had to suffer an even longer period of time. Oh well.

Just that it would have passed away under the shade, pleasantly (if there's such a thing)

"A shade and few drops of water at the time of passing away" can be easily provided. Some good Karma, you see.

Two years ago there was a mouse in my house. I tried to find it and throw it away alive, but I couldn't. My parents insisted to use one of those glue traps. One night I heard the noises from the trap and when I turned on the light I saw a baby mouse struggling in the glue. I took the trap, went outside and tried to take it off without hurting it, but it was impossible. I throw it in the garbage bin.

Two years later and I still feel sad for that little fella. The thought that he died in agony or eaten alive by cats. Sorry little guy. :(

• Like 1

No. I would though if I saw the animals beforehand.

The fact that they are slaughtered is true. You just have to picture it before you enjoy your steak or chop.The animal happily living and put to end suddenly, unknowingly, separating it from its family, friends.

It helps in quitting, if you are trying to.

Its your personal choice , I'm not advocating vegetarianism :)

*Edits out nonsense drunk rhetorics*

I figured you were drunk :D

I could tell :D he he he..

Me - Mergi , pls tell me you are recording this mix

Mergi - Feelings cannot be recorded.

2 tracks later.

You know what happened :D

It was an awesome mix! I hate you not recording it.

Going to hijack this thread for my own morbid story...

On Saturday I was at the gig of a friend's brother's band; they're a pretty big-name mainstream act so it wasn't the kind of event where one expects bad things to happen. Anyway, I was on the dancefloor enjoying myself when I suddenly notice a load of guys in high-vis jackets standing a few metres away. They bring in a stretcher and put someone on it and wheel him out; I figure he's fainted or something and carry on enjoying the show. Then shortly after they finish playing a load of us are hanging round the bar when the venue's staff comes in and ushers us all out. Pretty unusual, we're standing outside wondering what's going on when someone says they heard that someone died.

The following evening I'm relating this story to a friend who's an undertaker, and he asks what colour the stretcher was. I tell him it was black, and he replies that that was a coroner's stretcher. So it turns out that I'd watched a corpse being carried off the dancefloor and been completely oblivious to the fact.

Good lord!

So many things coming to my mind but I'll act consciously. May the person rip.

How do you feel Rotwang? Are you ok with it? Slightly disturbed? I'm guessing he OD'ed.?

I guess that's how life is. Death is always around us and we are pretty much oblivious to it. Clearly , not every life has the same value to everyone. I really need to visit Sadguru and ask him for his thoughts on this. If we accept everyone as the same, guilt of pushing our dear ones creeps in. If not, lack of compassion kicks in. This is all very troublesome to me.

How do you feel Rotwang? Are you ok with it? Slightly disturbed?

Slightly disturbed TBH.

I'm guessing he OD'ed.?

I've no idea, but that seems unlikely - they're a mainstream EDM act, I would guess that most people there were on nothing harder than pissy lager. Kind of ironic that that would be the gig where someone died, given that I usually go to parties where people pass around drugs like candy.

Death is always around us and we are pretty much oblivious to it.

A friend of mine is a paramedic and he tells me stories sometimes of bad calls he's been on. I said once that it's weird he sees all these things in the same city where I live, yet I (and most other people) never see such things. He replied that if I had any idea of the kind of stuff that happened to people around me every day I'd be horrified.

A friend of mine is a paramedic and he tells me stories sometimes of bad calls he's been on. I said once that it's weird he sees all these things in the same city where I live, yet I (and most other people) never see such things. He replied that if I had any idea of the kind of stuff that happened to people around me every day I'd be horrified.

My dad is a doc. So I've seen and heard few over the years.

But here, what I meant by "death is always around us" was in a broad context. Not just related to humans.

Slightly disturbed TBH.

I've no idea, but that seems unlikely - they're a mainstream EDM act, I would guess that most people there were on nothing harder than pissy lager. Kind of ironic that that would be the gig where someone died, given that I usually go to parties where people pass around drugs like candy.

First of, I feel with you. Also with the animals in this thread. I also had 2-3 experiences in this regard...

Can you perhaps tell me what band it was and in which city ?

Can you perhaps tell me what band it was and in which city ?

I don't know that I want to tarninsh their reputation by naming them (not that what happened was their fault of course, but still), but it was in London.