04: 08’17” Infernal Angels
05: 07’31” Mental Vortex
06: 06’23” Hex
07: 07’02” Possessed
08: 07’12” Scattergram
09: 06’54” Pass The Buck
10: 06’50” Power Of Inner Strength

Review:

Very late on this one, but make no mistake about it – One of the best albums of 2003!

Beautifully crafted by crazy ass Aussie Adam Walters, here’s one of the best artist albums of 2003. Hands down! This gem surfaced back in August 2003 amidst small attention. Well, at least with me. I completely missed it the first time around, but now it’s back with a vengeance!

I don’t know if the word Scatterbrain refers to the sci-fi author Larry Niven who’s known to have “scatterbrained” most of his stories. Or could it be a spoof of the Radiohead track? I don’t know – what I do know is that this is one heck of an album. Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: This was the first track I heard from the album in the autumn of 2003, and I was completely awestruck back then – and I still am… A psy track that focussed mainly on voice-samples. In fact, half of the track is a guy talking about drugs. Smells like cheddar? Well, you’re wrong. This track is amazing – the long bits of dialog carries the track to a higher level, and this baby will stay with you for a long time!

This is a story track. About a guy blown away on ayahuasca who meets the Mexican Jesus, butt naked in the middle of the Yellowstone National Park. Here’s a transcript of some of the lyrics:

”Genetic material getting changed before your eyes. Man, people think they know about drugs, but... That ain't a drug, it's a sacrament. It's just a portal to another world. It's realities that are always there. A key to other dimensions […] That we live with them all the time. Thankfully our awareness never touches... […] How would I describe it? Terrifying. Enlightening. But utterly terrifying. You swear you'll never go back. Ever. And the next thing you know, you're taking it again. You're going down that tunnel.”

Yes, I keep going down that tunnel again… I can’t stop listening to this track. It’s just so damn hypnotizing! I love it! [For a full transcript, check Psychedelic Mind Expander – I’ve submitted the full lyrics there!]

#02: Scatterbrain gives humour pride of place, and this track is a good example. It starts with a funny sample of an answering machine, and then blasts into a full-on psychedelic mayhem without any warning. Homer Simpson is there with his just question “Where’s the any key?”… Packed with funny samples, sprinkled on top of powerful bass lines, tweeps, bleeps and random insanity – I dare anyone to sit still to this piece.

#03: More spaghetti Mr. Anderson? If all bedlams are like this, I wanna be compulsorily detained right now! This is another acid-driven full on stomper, packed with well-chosen samples showcasing just how much talent comes out of Australia. There must be something in their water supply!? “I’m not crazy… I’m not crazy… I’m not crazy…”… Riiiiiight… This IS crazy, but in the best of ways! Wonderful track!

#04: The title track has more melodies than the majority of the album. Don’t worry; the insanity is still very much present here. This is a very organic sounding track, emphasizing a darker, deeper side of Scatterbrain. A heavy, pumping bass line, underneath melodic synths seasoned with the very distinctive Scatterbrain acid twirls. How can you go wrong with that cocktail? Beautiful track!

#05: “I am the god of hell fire, and I bring you….” …this mental whirlpool of aciiiiiid! Shrek is here… A police radio too…And sirens! Typical Scatterbrain – all kinds of crazy, demented stuff is thrown in, in just the right quantity. Full on Aussie madness! Another magical track!

#06: Hex this! This kinda starts out like a boring, homogeneous euro-dance track… Well, the singing bit at least… But only for a short while…And only if you ignore the bass… But then we are treated to some 303’s, more psychedelia and notable lack of voice samples… What gives? This track is kinda boring compared to the majority… But they can’t all be killers, right? Average track.

#07: Back on track again, with Possessed… Again, focus is on melodies and we’re on the lighter side of the mood scale, despite the evil samples… We even hear Darth Vader here “I find you lack of faith disturbing” + “If you only knew the power of the dark side”… Ha ha – this must be a piss take on some of the pre-2000 stuff that used these samples… As in most of the tracks, the very distinctive acid twirls are very much present here – The Scatterbrain trademark. I really like that… This track is good!

#08: Full on from the get-go, this gem quickly launches into more mental institution references, with the classic One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest sample “If that's what's being crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone-down-the-road, wacko” spoken by mr. cool: Jack Nicholson…And there are loads more samples from that great movie in this track… This is a fast paced, acid-driven, no questions asked, neo full-on track! So simple, so magical! Play this one loud! Great track!

#09: Aaargh, there’s a short melody that really annoys me in the beginning of this track! Fortunately it buggers off soon enough… Another fast paced, hard hitting track. The kick drums are almost comical in some places, but generally they work. Huge melodic parts in the middle, brutally erupted by the notorious acid-madness… And remember, government is not the solution to our problem – government IS the problem! Damn, this is good! I’ll hog this buck! Cool track!

#10: So you’re expecting a mellowed out chill-track to digest the madness of Scatterbrain? Hah, I laugh at your request… No way, the madness continues… Though this is an atmospheric track… Very sharp, picking acid lines, that hits you hard… It’s deeply intoxicating, taking you to far away places. Smashing track!

Holy crap, what a ride… In the sampling-spirit of Scatterbrain, let me quote The Grateful Death: “What a long, strange trip it’s been”… But a truly amazing trip. The promotional text states that; “This is liquid trance genesis of a new order. Surfing the silicon waves of a sonic freedom. Saltwater engineered sound, full cream digital milk genetically enhanced organic grade audio.” I couldn’t have put it better… This is pure beauty… This is the shiznit! This is a HUGE album… A must for any trance aficionado. Believe me, you NEED to own this! Go get it right away!

9.5/10

Favorites: 1(!!), 2, 3, 8, 9, 10

DeathPosture
cool.gif

External links:
Digital Psionics: www.digitalpsionics.com
Wirikuta Distribution: www.wirikuta.at (Soundclips available)

Updated with formatting 3rd July 2006

Edited by DeathPosture

I agree with you,one of the best albums in 2003.

But, Hex an average track? it's amazing! and the intro melody in Pass The Buck annoying? great old school oriental melody IMO!!!

TRACK 1:9/10

TRACK 2:8/10

TRACK 3:7/10

TRACK 4:9/10

TRACK 5:8.5/10

TRACK 6:9.5/10

TRACK 7:9/10

TRACK 8:10/10

TRACK 9:10/10

TRACK 10:8.5/10

Overall 9.2/10

Guest Theory of Chaos

Hy

What you mean Khogg...? Are you suposing that Deathposture has some interests on doing a great review for a great album...Bah...Listen to it and then come back...

I buy all my Psy albums and for sure this one worth it...!!!

Long life to all australian crazy people...please give us more weird sounds like this one....

Boom

Call me a cynic, but I put more weight on a review from somebody who didn't get an album as a promo or whatever. Might be a great album. Might not. I'll have to listen to some samples to decide.

Sigh... I wish the review section of this website still worked.

• 1 year later...

good review, mr deathposture, but i can't agree with your opinion on track #6 - 'hex'

personally i think it's the best track from this album. okay, maybe the 3-accord funky bassline sucks at the start, but i can't stop listening especially to last 2 minutes of this tune. don't you hear that gothic spinechilling peak of the album ? :)

• 11 months later...

So when is the next one coming then? :D

Great, and I do mean GREAT album by the way. Very creative and over-the-top in a thank you for taking risks-type way. Infernal Angel is one of my favorite psytrance albums ever.

I LOVE the song with female vocals, more melody layers...track 4 I think?? Wow that's so beautiful in a cool way.

I hope the next one takes things further than ever before while still remainig catchy, insanely creative, amusing, and fun as HECK to listen too!! :)

So when is the next one coming then?  :D

Great, and I do mean GREAT album by the way. Very creative and over-the-top in a thank you for taking risks-type way. Infernal Angel is one of my favorite psytrance albums ever and I hope the next one takes things further than ever before while still remainig catchy as F^ and fun as HECK to listen too! :)

563924[/snapback]

soon when i spoke in email he implied that it is on it's way but no definite time

but can't wait, just hope it's half as good as the last

soon when i spoke in email he implied that it is on it's way but no definite time

but can't wait, just hope it's half as good as the last

564220[/snapback]

That is great news that it's coming along!...but half as good? I hope it's all as good, if not better than the last!! He's more experienced now. He has potential to make something beyond the first.

I absolutely love this album....proper psychedelic stompers!! Reminds me of partying out in the bush in aus....

Mexican Jesus is an all time classic!! Stomp-a-rama!! Looking forward to new scatterbrain shenanigans!

• 2 months later...

SCATTERBRAIN - INFERNAL ANGEL

01: Mexican Jesus ... B

02: Wool Gathering ... B-

03: Bedlam ... B-

04: Infernal Angels ... B / B+

05: Mental Vortex ... B-

06: Hex ... B-

07: Possessed ... B-

08: Scattergram ... B

09: Pass The Buck ... B

10: Power Of Inner Strength ... B-

I find Infernal Angel good or great as a whole because of what it does so well, and that is how it presents its attitude through music/mixing and voice samples. Voice samples play a big role on this energetic, dark badass psytrance album. Also, things take place that suggest the artist doesn't mind or care whether you're offended, shocked, surprised, or not. Infernal Angel has this cool "who gives a fuck" attitude that is rare in psytrance these days unless something sucks and the artist doesn't care...and Scatterbrain sure as hell doesn't suck. It is fucking great! Relative to it's voice samples, they're sometimes humorous, occasionally pretentious, and often times downright clever and cool in their own way. This is an album that people will either get or not get right away. Like a Tarantino film, this is definitely for you or not. Those who find the first three songs a bit too sample-driven may generally enjoy the songs that proceed because the album (for several songs) becomes becomes less chaotic, energetic, and dark through it's samples and just as chaotic, dark, and energetic through it's music, the melodies and other sounds! This artist has chosen and gotten creative with some great and excellent voice samples.

01: Mexican Jesus is pretty good. The story can be taken different ways and I have an idea what it seems to be talking about. :D To be honest, when first listening to track 1, it seems pretty basic in beat and sounds. It's the story that stands out and for the first fifty or so seconds I find it humorous. Although it goes on for longer than I enjoy, it's the voice samples that really make this track so unique, and how they play to and around the music. However, it's the sample that make this track stand out the most. I like when the music is more animated, layered, and engaging in combination to engaging sample(s) as he does in other songs.

02: Wool Gathering to me is far more interesting musically than the first song. I like his voice samples in the beginnning and end, and I love the part in the middle with the voice sample. Along with the aggressive tone that storms in after that wicked-fun remark, the entire song engages on a higher level. There are moments in this album where the beat and occasional sounds begin to sound repetitive to me, as they do here. And then something happens which makes me go..."FUCK YEAH... That was cool!!" When these moments take place, they can change the ones perspective of the song because of what the song does or doesn't do depending on the sample. I love how kickass he made this song. The music and mixing is supposed to compliment samples of course, but this artist loves to play with sounds and make those sounds and samples both compliment and engage better than most artists out there.

03: Bedlam I don't really care for, but's I find it entertaining in its own twisted way. The first time I heard this song I was like "Wtf?? hahaha...this is nuts." There's something about the "More spegetti Mr. Ed??!!" sample I find humorous and I get giddy over it for some stupid reason. :D However, the whole "crazy" theme in the song eventually gets repetitive and tiresome. It eventually wears off IMHO and the song never grows out of it. This is a decent song, maybe it's pretty good due to all the creative mixing, random sounds, samples, and the way they're presented, but it's a one-trick pony.

04: Infernal Angels ... is one of my favorite songs on the album. This is his style with more melodies and I really like it!! Not only can he create some good melodies but the female opera voice that comes in at the second half really enhances this song even more. I never would have unexpected to hear that opera in psytrance, and sound so great, but that's the nice thing about this album. Lots of things that may sound silly or strange by themselves have a way of playing along great with the songs. I really enjoy this song even if it's not insane (cool voice samples) like many of the others. It's interesting to see his versatility when it comes to style and sounds.

05: Mental Vortex is an aggressive dark psytrance song that nicely follows track 4. It's just too bad that it doesn't do much as it progresses. I really like the "I am the God of Hellfire..." sample and sounds of sirens convey distress and chaos, the way its thrown into the psychedelics. It's different from every track before and after it, but nothing great.

06: Hex starts like a decent, more clubby song. It's not really dark than some others and also does some interesting things that sound good when fused together. Also, around 2:20 there are new, incoherent high pitched vocals. This is catchy. This is another song with less crazy voice samples (skipping and mixing). I see he used some sounds from track 4 here. The reversed echo of the girl or whatever that higher pitch sound is (taken from a film I think) played 3:35 minutes into it. I like the eerie, incoherent sounds of some guy, his lauguage alien to me. The song begins to drag by the fouth minute. At 4:45 the cool echoed voice bits are followed an appealing harmonic melody that quenches the tracks thirst here. I most enjoy this part of the song with all the sounds coming together, the ambient notes, incoherent voice, harmonic melody, etc. Part of me wishes he brought the melodies in sooner and further added and developed them as the song progressed.

07: Possessed is more dark than the previous song and not nearly as dark as others. The Darth Vador sample is of course cool. However it doesn't seem to influence in changing the music or energy of the music that follows as track 2 greatly did. What I miss here is the change or development in the songs direction (more layers added as the song progresses) as done in several other tracks. Nonetheless, there's enough trippy sounds/melodies ripping across the beat to keep it cool throughout. It's a pretty good song that would have gone downhill in repetition if it went that much further past 7:00, but it doesn't. The song is cool and to the point. It just doesn't really change or develop much throughout. The beginning sample is a nice touch and like few others on this album, this song could have been great by being more involved, animated, and dynamic IMHO.

08: Scattergram returns to having more cool samples, and in this case referring to descriptions using the word "crazy." These samples are helps give the album so much character. Fortunately, these samples are totally different than before. There are lots of cool ones here, and they are generally less repetitive than those of track 3, albeit less wild and giddy. They're entertaining and very cool. I like the Brad Pitt one the most, taken from Fight Club I presume. Once 4:28 hits, the song becomes more arresting. It's a driving, energetic song filled with zipping acid (?) psy-sounds and sweet melodic bits bouncing around all over the place. It's a cool/good song throughout but nothing superb IMHO.

09: Pass The Buck starts more melodic which is fine. I like how it soon picks up. There is another good sample. It seems this album has enough cool samples to last the average artist a trilogy of albums. This song doesn't do much for me until around 3:30 when a melody drops. It sounds more classical until the next voice sample. As soon as that ends, the song returns with more substance. This is what I like about this album. The songs generally get more and more interesting, crazy, fun, weird, sound-layered or whatever! I like his style, voice samples, and melodies. They're entertaining!

10: Power Of Inner Strength is a reasonably good song to end the album. To be honest I find many tracks more interesting here than this one but the positive exceeds the negative so much I'm not going to complain. It's shorter than the others, not chaotic/crazy, or intense sounding IMO, and the voice samples occur less often. It's still a cool song, not great but pretty good for what it is.

In conclusion: Scatterbrain may lack emotional punch and substance but it has enough crazy fun and unpredictable moments, catch tunes, rhythms to be exist as a memorable piece of art in psytrance. Sometimes the melodies hold my interest on a deeper level until the next cool voice sample which is often unexpected, funny, or catchy. I like this entire album, especially the middle where more melodies take place. One thing that stands out for me is how well the voice samples (both altered and not) compliment the songs and melodies. The second thing that really stands out is that this guy can create some really good melodies. They're psychedelic, dark, and at times beautiful. I don't consider every song great and few I find closer to average, but the amount of quality or solid songs here is good. This album has more personality and character then a plethora of psy albums out there. There is a showing desire here to be more than just random or crazy, because the music is so well composed and mixed. Infernal Angel is occasionally spontaneous, random, twisted, humorous, insightful, and at times bizarre or just nuts. It's one of the most original, unique, and distinct psytrance albums I own. It's no masterpiece IMO, but this guy has proven that he has the potential to make great music and maybe even a masterpiece if he is that ambitious, passionate, and wants it bad enough. The lazer, Star Wars sound fx do boarder on over-use at times however. Whether you like the psytrance, occasionally Full On style here or not, this IS one of the bettor or one of the best psytrance albums of 2003. Now bring on the next!

SCORE ... B- / B = 8/10

Samples:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=3597

.......................................................................................................................

Best albums of 2003

Ethereal - Anima Mundi ... B+ ... (Best Goa-Trance album of the year)

Aes Dana - Season 5 ... B+ ... (Arguably best Down-Tempo album of the year)

Penta: Pentafiles ... B+ ... (Solid debut and style raises standards in dark psytrance)

Antix: Lull ... B ... (Arguably best progressive trance album of the year)

Xenomorph - Qlippoth ... B ... (Good Evil-DARK album follow-up to CN with several great songs)

Infected Mushroom: CV - Trance/Other Side ... B- / B Overall: B

Scatterbrain: Infernal Angel ... B- ... (Good, sometimes great, creative, stand-out psytrance album)

Protoculture: Refractions ... B-

Entheogenic: Spontaneous Illumination ... B-

Vibrasphere: Lime Structure ... B-

Which is your interpretation?

614404[/snapback]

On first listen I assumed he was talking about drugs...a trip. He says, "People think they know about drugs but... it's a sacrement, just a portal to another world

I assummed he had a mind-expanding experience with drugs because he says "it's terrifying and enlightening and the next thing you know you're taking it again..."

He's obviously alive so I imagine he thought he died from having some type of experience with drugs and saw the Mexican Jesus. I'm not certain but it seems logical to me why one could interpret that.

Okay, now THIS is hilarious:

"I saw the mexican Jesus floating down the river, Yellow Stone National park. I think it was minun 20 degrees in the snow...butt naked. I don't think he was native american... and he was butt naked in the yellow stone river, minus twenty."

LOL.

What is your interpretation?