tqTiiV6.jpg

Artist: Ion Vader

Title: Expansion EP

Label: Timewarp Records

Date: February, 2015

1. For Deg

2. Ajjna (feat. Root)

3. Trip To Nowhere

Ion Vader isn't an artist I've heard much or anything from, but since it was released by the good folks over at Timewarp I thought I'd give it a go. It's a short 3 track EP (Captain Obvious) that has it's roots in several genres. For example, For Deg begins with an uplifting sound and then promptly ventures into darker territory before it rockets into cosmic goa. Ajjna has some tribal chants and is rather uninteresting until near the end when once again, the goa leaks out. The final track Trip To Nowhere is more of the neo-goa style I was expecting. All in all not a bad ep that sounds really clear. Hope he sticks with it as there is some potential here.

Timewarp Records Bandcamp

Great EP! It has a playful feel to it, the long "intro tease" in Fog Deg is the first taste of that. It's followed by quirky sounds and melodies. As Trance2MoveU says track 2 Ajjna is very slow to start, and the does not reach the level of the previous track before its too late, a little too repetitive in the boring way. The final track on the other hand goes straight for balls, Trip to Nowhere is not messing around, as if to compensate for the hesitations of before... A hard kick and and melodies that weave in and out of existence, only bad thing, it ends too early, could easily have evolved a bit more without hurting it :) Well, a nice first encounter with Ion Vader, I hope to hear more!