Afgin - Old Is Gold Selected Tunes (2006 - 2015)

Trance2MoveU

CAbH6wd.jpg

Artist: Afgin

Title: Old Is Gold Selected Tunes (2006 - 2015)

Label: Goa Trance Music

Date: July, 2015

1. Ray of Light

2. Old Is Gold

3. Old Is Gold (Part 2)

4. Amanita

5. Astral Experience

6. Shine On

7. Fly With Me

8. Violet

9. The Sound of Goodbye

10. Aden Prayers (Part 2)

Afgin.

How can you not like this dude? From the beginning when we found some of his goa trance mp3s on the web back when the goa resurgence wasn't even a thing yet. Then came the Astral Experience from Suntrip which was great goa that forced sunshine out of every pore. After that were a few EP's and the Emotional Peaks maxi album. If you didn't think it was possible for his music to become more euphoric and melodic, those last releases put that notion to bed. So here's how I see Afgin. Talented as hell, good lookin' guy that seems to always have chicks around him, and I think he kick boxes too. On top of all that have you seen his FB feed? Dude roams the mountains of Israel in a sweet blue rig. Do you know anyone who has this much life win? I wish this fool would run for president.

I'm not making this sh*t up people.

There are those that think Afgin has sold out. I suppose the sign that you've made it is the cheesy album cover. It's already been memed so I'm not gonna post it here, but he's been doing his thing for a long time. Even if you perceive him to have sold out (which he hasn't) you have to respect his contribution to where goa is today as well as the volume of quality material he has produced. I've never spoken to him and I don't know him, but it feels like one of us made it to the top. Now I would lose my credibility as a reviewer if I didn't mention the copious amounts of cheese in Fly With Me. It's euphoric melodic trance at it's most epic. Real Paul Van Dyk stuff. But even here, he cannot resist throwing a little 303 at you.

The music is the classic, full Afgin melodic sound. Don't dismiss it as soft though because some of these tracks also pack quite a punch. You get tracks from his albums and ep's as well as some unreleased and some never before released on a proper CD. Even when he goes all euphoric on you he always leaves traces of his goa roots. He really understands how to structure a track so that it's not just a collection of sounds but a dynamic, fluid tale. Respect. The music is well done, sounds great, and will not fail to put a smile on your face.

Psyshop

Beatspace

The only problem with Afgin is that most of his tracks share the same assets. The kick, the bass, the acid, the synths are identical. That makes his track sound like different variations of the same track. However he's a master of his sound.

The first 6 tracks are totally awesome including one of the best new school Goa tracks Shine On. We're talking abour pure melodic power. The trance tracks are nice too, nothing spectacular.

Overall it's a great album.