Best of '96 & '97

Kitrinos

Depending on my mood and so on, it can be either absolutely brilliant or utter crap.

Honestly, this is how I feel about most of my favorite music.

It's not that it is utter crap when I'm not in the mood, but the best music is made with specific moods and energies in mind.

If you try and queue up the wrong album at the wrong time, it is just tragic. At the right time though, it shines.

This is why DJing can be a true art form. It takes this understanding and puts it front and center.

And this is also why some people find me a polarizing figure. Sometimes my choices for the "right energy" are not inline with everyone else.

Sometimes they align greatly but other times I am a bit left of center.

Great music is never 100% correct all of the time. That would be middle of the road stuff. Which is why Astral Projection and Infected Mushroom are so well received; absolutely middle of the road quality...

;-) (yes, I am totally trolling for the lulz with that comment)

• Like 1

If you try and queue up the wrong album at the wrong time, it is just tragic. At the right time though, it shines.

This is why DJing can be a true art form. It takes this understanding and puts it front and center.

And this is also why some people find me a polarizing figure. Sometimes my choices for the "right energy" are not inline with everyone else.

Sometimes they align greatly but other times I am a bit left of center.

Exactly why I both love and hate DJing. Sometimes I'm having the time of my life playing just the right tracks, and then someone comes up and asks me if I could play "something a bit better".

Go figure :lol:

• Like 1

then someone comes up and asks me if I could play "something a bit better".

Go figure :lol:

As if we all have the exact same taste and will know instantly what they mean by "something a bit better" 😂

This is why the big name DJs are so bland. They always play the middle of the road stuff because it is none threatening.

People don't get offended but they don't go on a journey either.

An aside: about fifteen years ago, one of my mates made a shirt that read, "I'm the DJ" on the front, and "not a jukebox" on the back. Was a great gift =)

• Like 3

Makes sense! Never thought of it this way.

One of my fav DJ always goes bonkers with his mixes. One moment its Goa next its Metal or Techno or even classical. Just picks Vinyls from his shelf and keeps on spinning for a good 8 hours or so and trust me when I tell you, its always a journey. Sometimes a smooth one sometimes not so much ;)

(@Goaconstrictor - check PM)

• Like 1

I used to do some mixes like that, went from Classical to Darkpsy to industrial to morning trance etc. I liked it, no one else really cared for it though.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do some mixes like that, went from Classical to Darkpsy to industrial to morning trance etc. I liked it, no one else really cared for it though.

some of my favourite mixes are like that. last week i looked for a few tracks from an old mix from 2004 or something and only after finding the originals, it becomes clear that he follows a darkpsy track with some progressive (followed by fullon, ...) right somewhere in the middle of the mix. no one would do that now anymore. but when you listen to the complete set it's just one journey and you don't even notice how you're switching between genres.

• 2 weeks later...