For what it's worth, my setup. Not that I've actually made any music in years :)

Features everything but my Novation 49SL MkII that kinda sits there waiting for my inspiration to return...

eHk3YU8.jpg

There's a broken Korg Monotron Delay and Aavepyörä's old GP2X he used to write the 'Tie ja vaeltaja' album on the table below the left speaker :)

• Like 1

What do you mean exactly? :)

Oh, just that maybe I would use the damn things, if they were any good :) But also: I keep seeing all these marvelous control surfaces and spacey interfaces popping up, but I just can't figure them out. I still draw my automation by mouse. If that wasn't possible, I would probably type in *every* tiny little control change like in the old days!

YES finally thread is coming alive. love it. awesome cozy setups, both u guys :wub:

amygdala, Im freaking drooling over your setup.

thats like, my DREAM studio right there.

fuck, I envy you.

Thanks - rest assured, I like it down here in my basement! It looks better than it sounds - the Juno 106 is missing a voice, and the SH-1 is impossible to tune. They're still fun to be around, though :)

I still draw my automation by mouse.

Heh, when I still had at least some kinda drive to fuck around with music making, I made sure that practically all automation was recorded off the knobs on my keyboard in realtime. The only proof to the rest of the world is this:

https://soundcloud.com/pauleye/daikaisho

where (almost) EVERYTHING that changes in some way is recorded as live automation, in what must be dozens of passes as there's a shitload of stuff going on all the time and I only have 2 hands (yes we were 2 guys doing the track but I'm in Helsinki and he was in Paris, and over all I ended up doing most of the automation because I insisted).

If that wasn't possible, I would probably type in *every* tiny little control change like in the old days!

Impulse Tracker FTW!

Anyway, going off topic again...

• Like 2

Yea, I need to start doing more stuff. I have been cooling down over the last 6 months due to college, work, and other things. I have many ideas in my head and have whole compositions but it's doing all the application of those ideas is where I struggle. While I still love trance, I've been doing more ambient stuff and playing synths with piano, guitars, karimba, etc. I really want to try doing some trance again but I feel like I lost some motivation for it. Will keep striving.

what is the appeal of the tracker?

- just cant see how it can be more efficient over a sequencer and pianoroll.

I have never actually tracked as such, but I can think of several appeals:

- Some people are suckers for "the old days" (myself included!), and doing stuff "the ways of the past". That goes for a lot more than music-making.

- Severe limitations call for radical creativity.

- The simpler and less-demanding your setup is, the smaller load of hassle you get from system failures, software updates, ... Until it becomes venerable and outdated of course ;)

Where did you loose it, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm still not really sure, actually. I made what became my last track with Impulse Tracker in 1999 (and actually a track in "my old style" in 2000) and then all inspiration just stopped. The abovementioned track was made in 2002/2003 and it's kind of a small miracle and I still don't really know how we pulled it off :)

After that I've just been tinkering with dozens upon dozens of unfinished track snippets and weird sound design experiments, but even that has declined in recent years.

And if I ever get my inspiration running again, I definitely don't want to sound like anyone else. That's also a challenge in itself :)

And if I ever get my inspiration running again, I definitely don't want to sound like anyone else. That's also a challenge in itself :)

Well, here's to hoping... I can't seem to shake the habit - it's my way of relaxing and getting centered.

I also don't want to sound like anything else... But, I really suck at imitation, so whenever I hear something cool and think "I wanna do that too", I just go for it, and thankfully something completely different comes out! Then there's the "good artists borrow, great artists steal..."... I try not to borrow too much ;)

Hi all, this thread is the reason I signed up. Keen to see what people are using. So my current set up consists of a metal cased x0xb0x built by Andy Pledger, Moog Sub 37 & Akai Tom Cat. I also just purchased a 9u x 126hp Eurorack case but right no no cash to fill it.

I don't like using computers in the studio so currently everything is recorded to tape, mostly done as live jams. More acid trance than anything psychedelic yet but that will change in the near future as my skills develop.

I do perform live but just with the x0x, Tom Cat & a friends Avalon Baseline with some FX pedals doing acid techno & acid breaks.

I guess if i start making anything really layered I'll learn to use Ableton or something but that stuff just bores me endlessly.

Here's a photo

IMG_6068.jpg

• Like 1

I also just purchased a 9u x 126hp Eurorack case but right no no cash to fill it.

Wow, you need a lot of cash to fill that sucker up!! I am thinking about starting light: 3u * 84hp. Put me an oscilator, two envelopes, filter and VCA in there, and I'm off... Can't find the right modules to start with, though.

For what it's worth, my setup. Not that I've actually made any music in years :)

Features everything but my Novation 49SL MkII that kinda sits there waiting for my inspiration to return...

There's a broken Korg Monotron Delay and Aavepyörä's old GP2X he used to write the 'Tie ja vaeltaja' album on the table below the left speaker :)

is that DMT or Psilocybin on your desktop? I dont wanna cheat and google it :P

I dont think its acid, it looks like a tryptamine though and since DMT is the magical molecule im guessing its that one.

Your keyboard, is that a DAS keyboard?

Btw, these questions dont have any answer that would bring discussion to the thread, hence this comment is completely 100% reduntant.

I like to make sure most my comments are.

Psilocybin

Ducky Shine3. Expensive as fuck but the best keyboard I've ever had. Cherry MX Black switches <3

cool I was almost right!

right the ducky. I was about to buy a ducky myself, but I wanted a backlit one, and they didnt have the model I wanted.

Black eh? Sweet. I love those myself*, but I own a Qpad Mk80 with Blue switches/blue backlight, and a Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX brown/red backlight. Excess of 350 dollars but hey, gaming is my other hobby and I do code and write alot (obviously)

Im currently using the brown but they are pretty much identical except the click that the blue has.

*Black is with a click but without bump, no? So kinda like red vs blue? Or is that the white .... hmm...

heres a sexeh pic of the blue one in action

computations.jpg

and no the Ozone doesnt usually go like that, i put it to the right when im not pretending to be a musician. And thats probably me dealing drugs or something on Countermail to the right.

*Black is with a click but without bump, no?

Nope. Absolutely no click (tried some keyboards with blue switches and couldn't stand the constant clicking) and requires the most force, just the way I like it :)

It's also backlit with white leds (the space bar colour can be customized) and has a bunch of lighting gimmicks but I prefer keeping the keys lit at all times (and I've set them to turn off when pressed).

ah so the white one is the one i explained.

yours are like a combo between red and brown then i guess.

i.e no bumb, and no sound.

BOORING haha jk.

no really, thats boring, how come you dont like either click or bump?

Or is there a bump? by bump i mean the tactile sensation you get when carefully pressing down a button, before it reaches its floor. Red has none, brown and blue has the same, while blue has the sound attached to it.

I guess the black has either.

white leds, again, boring man, no jk

but seriously, i know there is a ducky that has rainbow colors. you didnt enjoy that one?

,,, silent lols in the background

Hmm... thats too philosophical for me to answer at this point I think... ehm..

whats the big deal, people joke about these sort of things, dont they? I mean rainbow colors, thats a laugh isnt it?

And the part about me asking you about which switches was completely honest ..

What, whats the problem? I dont intend to be wierd, I tried to be as normal as can be...Please would you explain what you mean, thank you paul

I was just trying to be a little humorous im sorry if I came off as .. strange... sorry...

seriously, I dont get it, Im sorry I just tried to be funny I guess and now youve got me trying to explain stuff I dont know I did...

Meh..

Ill just... simmer down again. Sorry to grab a bit of fucking Oxygen

Im sorry if anything I wrote earlier might be misunderstood as anything other than my weird dry humour.

i thought white keyboard backlit would be funny seing as it was a BLACK keyswitch. HA fucking Ha.

and then the rainbow colors of the shine 3 or the vengeance rgb... which i didnt buy, btw...

didnt mean it as anything else, and i apologize if that is what it looked like.