111p0gp.jpg

Dear producers, Psynews members & colleagues,

don't hesitate and post pictures from your (home) studios, equipment and accessories, synthesizers, musical instruments, etc...
Share with others your sound laboratories, where you are giving a space to releasing your ideas, hopes, feelings & emotions.

Videos, gif's or even cinemagraphs are allowed, so dont have a fear & show your piece of your world! ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

buNj8N6.jpg

I'll add to this thread. Sadly, my EMX has some bad pots so it isn't usable at the moment. I will have to either repair it myself or find someone cheap to do it. Just got the mpc, so I'm still learning it but it is a great machine. On the far right top corner, you'll see the karimba. Such a beautiful and soft sounding instrument. Still learning that (along with the guitar) but so far, it is amazing.

• Like 1

@Carbon: how do you manage having the keyboard and mouse on different platforms? Like when you need to often switch between typing and mousing around, isn't it a little awkward? :lol:

@desysko: how are you liking the BS2? What do you think it's particularly good at?

Here's my "studio". Just started getting more serious about music making a few months back :D

UPC31br.jpg

• Like 1

Man, the bass station 2 is great for pretty much any sounds that an analogue synth can. Has a bunch of nice stuff. One cool tip is that it has a oscillator filter mod (based on osc 2) which can affect osc 1. In short, what that means that you can technically have another LFO along with the other 2 lfos.

• 3 weeks later...

@Carbon: how do you manage having the keyboard and mouse on different platforms? Like when you need to often switch between typing and mousing around, isn't it a little awkward? :lol:

it's thing of habit :)

yes, ofc it's awkward, because f.e. in job i have big table and at home is this audio cockpit :)

btw u have really nice picture on the right.. those birds !

I'll add to this thread. Sadly, my EMX has some bad pots so it isn't usable at the moment. I will have to either repair it myself or find someone cheap to do it. Just got the mpc, so I'm still learning it but it is a great machine. On the far right top corner, you'll see the karimba. Such a beautiful and soft sounding instrument. Still learning that (along with the guitar) but so far, it is amazing.

EMX is cool gear and it's a lot of fun with it. Friend of mine have this one and showed me some cool effects. really fine toy. but he accidentally deleted whole the soundbank on some card with init function or how he said it to me.. i dont remember exactly, so its recommended to be aware what is pressed. :)

EMX is cool gear and it's a lot of fun with it. Friend of mine have this one and showed me some cool effects. really fine toy. but he accidentally deleted whole the soundbank on some card with init function or how he said it to me.. i dont remember exactly, so its recommended to be aware what is pressed. :)

Yea, the EMX can get some pretty wacky sounds that is hard to do on a regular analog synth. That's the one main reason why I'm debating whether to sell it or not. Another plus side to it is that you can easily get some rough ideas and compisitions with the EMX.

desysko :

what about bass station? its good toy? i would say that it can drop out some nice basses and fine soundind raw leads...

and what is that black box with magic number 303 ? some king of clone or so?

The Bass Station 2 is a great synth. While many of the commercials show off the electro-house sounds, it is quite capable of doing any analog sound from the warm and soft ones to harsh metallic sounds. Plus it has two filter types, the classic and the acid filter. The classic filter is the standard Bass station filter (or at least close to it) that was used on the original whic was released in the 90s. The second filter, the acid filter, tries to emulate the acid or 303 sound. While it isn't perfect, it can get some really close sounding sounds to the tb303 (especially when you use the distortion). Overall, I would recommend the Bass Station 2 to anyone who is looking for analog hardware. The only thing that bothers some folks is the the key-tracking on the filter. On the classic filter, it is set at 100% and the acid filter is at 50% key-tracking. What this means is that as you go to higher notes, the filter automatically opens more so that you can still get decent sounds. Some folks don't like that since they want high notes to be filtered by the low-pass normally. But otherwise than that, great synth.

The other one which you asked about is the x0xb0x. It is a tb-303 clone and it's pretty good at what it does. It's nothing special and pretty much has the same functions of the tb-303. But there are custom firmware for the x0xb0x that allow you to have a more advanced internal sequencer which is nice. Mine also has a mod on it, which adds more bass to the sound. The reason is that when you increase the resonance, one side effect is that the bass gets quieter. So the mod adds more bass so that it still has presence.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, thats a fine description, thanks :) however, its a another synth, which i would like to try for a while. both of them.
actually i am thinking about another synth such as Minibrute from Arturia or Tetra & Mopho from Dave Smith. Did you have a chance to try it ever?
Friend of mine has a Mopho and Evolver and their sound is perfect. But in my case i dont know if it will be needed, because i have nord already.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update: added a vintage spring reverb with psychedelic display ( :P ) on top of my effects rack. It's already friends with the Minibrute!

Sorry for the crappy picture, don't have a top notch camera.

9020rp.jpg

Let's see if I can manage to slip one in...

Does this mean you're still doing some music? :OOOO

How's the Axiom49? I had one but ended up selling it as I hated the knobs on it.

Edit: I actually had to head over to VSE to recall what that gray Korg you have there is (Prophecy) :D

> Does this mean you're still doing some music? :OOOO

Even as I write this...! I am fiddling with an intro to a progressive morning trance track (a genre for that exists, appearently...). This, a techy piece and an odd psytrance track will come out on JOOF later rather than sooner :)

> How's the Axiom49? I had one but ended up selling it as I hated the knobs on it.

Good call selling it. I don't like it particularly. I use the keys, pitchbend and mod wheel. That's it. All other buttons, sliders and pads are untouched. I sometimes look for something else, but figure that I am not the kinda guy who uses all the extra stuff anyway. Sour grapes?

> Edit: I actually had to head over to VSE to recall what that gray Korg you have there is (Prophecy) :D

I wish I used it more. It can do some cool tricks, but is a bitch to program. All those menues. I am thinking of going eurorack, but am afraid of the deluge

- A