dont tell me i didnt warn you lol

20160803_184222.jpg

• 7 months later...

Moving things around a bit, need to make some slanted stands for a few pieces I think.. Still a few things on the short list, most pressing is a 303 clone of some sort, learning towards the Cyclone Bassbot TT-303 but not sure.

Definitely want to pick up the new Erica Synths Fusion Box when it comes out, it sounds absolutely gorgeous.. Would also like a Dreadbox Abyss, and at some point, an Emu Morpheus, Ensoniq Fizmo, Roland JD-800.. Well, too many things really..

Click for full size.

That's a Yamaha TG-77 under the desk, and hidden on top of that is a Kurzweil Mangler.. The other monitor speaker is off screen on the other side of the desk to the right.

QUXpzjN.jpg

WqjGf2z.jpg

• Like 3

I'm working on it, the 2 years of web hosting that I got free from school just ran out and I don't wanna stay with that company.. Plus I never finish anything LOL.. :unsure:

Room treatment? Eh.. It's probably necessary if I was doing mastering or mixing for other people, but I'm basically a hobbyist so there's better things to spend money on.. I don't record any instruments or vocals so there's that, as for the monitoring yeah it's less than ideal, the monitors themselves aren't stellar, I'm sure I might get around to it some time. It is my bedroom also so I don't really want to put a bunch of foam on the walls or anything.

Nice setup man! I'm going to get myself an Erebus as well one day, and hopefully an Abyss.. :) I really dig the stuff that Dreadbox makes.

Dreadbox stuff all has a really nice sound to it, so I love it.. they also make some interesting design choices when it comes to their architectures which really set them apart from others who keep basically the same paradigm across the board.. Like on the Erebus, the inclusion of glide time knobs for each oscillator, and the lovely dirty delay (which sounds very nice, and not anywhere near as noisy as the one on the Korg stuff (Volca Keya, Minilogue)).. I do wish it had some more patch points, for instance resonance amount or echo feedback.. The Abyss just looks awesome, the analogue effects on that thing sound so juicy and mindbending..

Yup, all 16 voices loud and in tune *knock on wood*.

I actually traded my DIY 5U for the A6, so I paid a fraction of the insane 2nd hand prices.

There needs to be some research before buying an A6 and some basic but very important testing. This is one synth that you do not buy, without testing.

Mine's a 2007-2008 from the serial number. The newer the better with these ones and having checked there was a problematic batch with the serial numbers frequenting from 2003 to 2005.

There are some sweet spots where it sounds very close to an OB-XA and then using the bottom filter sometimes it sounds like a Memorymoog.

For me this is *the* best analog polysynth ever made. Vintage purists will say otherwise and that is fair enough, especially if you open the A6 filter all the way and those "modern" high frequencies, start showing its real identity.

But the programability of the A6 far surpasses anything else. Huge + is that it does linear and exponential FM, ring mod in there, cross mod, killer 3 track sequencer, brilliant arpeggiator, looping dual attack/release envelopes, excellent LFO section, very usable analog distortion, the digital FX are not great, but not bad either.

Adding a sine wave out from the oscillators, post filter mix also makes this *the* phatest sounding synth, including my modulars.

16 voices, 2 VCOs per voice...32 VCOs. When you tap the unison button, the neighbours will come asking what's the new thing you got :D

Love it.

Yeah, they were ahead of their time..  If they released it today I'm sure it would sell a lot better, but back then it was just too expensive and the demand wasn't there for it quite yet..  But with the analog resurgence in full swing now, it would do well..  But yeah, it's a pretty crazy project for them to undertake a synth like that, they put all their eggs in that one basket..  One of the guys involved in the project used to post over on The Gas Station, which was Sonicstate's now abandoned message board, was pretty interesting..  of course everyone on the board was pumped up for it, but then it came out and no one could afford it.

I'm working on it, the 2 years of web hosting that I got free from school just ran out and I don't wanna stay with that company.. Plus I never finish anything LOL.. :unsure:

If you need a place to host your music you are welcome on my site https://mixolicious.com/

I'm offering free lifetime accounts for psy producers and DJs.

Nice setup, by the way. It looks like you have an Octatrack. It's on my wishlist, if I can ever afford it...

• Like 1

It's an Analog Four, I would love an Octratrack though for sure..  I feel like sampling and sequencing are weak spots in my setup right now..  Thank you for the offer I'll be sure to check it out!  I got it at an insanely good price and was just going to turn it around to make a few hundred bucks off it, but I really like the sound of it and the effects and overbridge are pretty great as well..  I dunno what the guy selling it was thinking, but I took a chance and it arrived in pristine condition with original box etc..  $650!!

Aside, I see Martian Arts has an Analog Four as well..  Any good tutorials or videos for it?  It's my first piece of Elektron gear, and my god, the buttons..  I've just figured out how to demo sounds, and scroll through patches and load them..  for some reason all the patches are played polyphonic, maybe that's just for auditioning though?  Seems like an odd design decision..

Make sure you read the Elektron manuals.

Elektron boxes have a "philosophy" and you either adapt to it, or get frustrated and hate their boxes, which somestimes lead to poeple selling them for very cheap...

I can't comment on demoing sounds, but voice allocation can be done in the "kit". Other than that, the A4 is great for leads and weird synced effect type sounds as the LFO section is one of the best.

And the new OS (well its almost a year old now I think) added some nice features which I thought where standard in the older OS, but yeah, it will do very nice FM as well. (https://www.facebook.com/100009455712042/videos/vb.100009455712042/1678025319189309/?type=2&theater)

Personally I find the A4 kinda *needs* to go through the Elektron Heat, to give it some extra character.

But that sequencer and size, make the A4 *the* perfect live synth, imo anyway.

• Like 1

There are some sweet spots where it sounds very close to an OB-XA and then using the bottom filter sometimes it sounds like a Memorymoog.

For me this is *the* best analog polysynth ever made. Vintage purists will say otherwise and that is fair enough, especially if you open the A6 filter all the way and those "modern" high frequencies, start showing its real identity.

But the programability of the A6 far surpasses anything else. Huge + is that it does linear and exponential FM, ring mod in there, cross mod, killer 3 track sequencer, brilliant arpeggiator, looping dual attack/release envelopes, excellent LFO section, very usable analog distortion, the digital FX are not great, but not bad either.

Adding a sine wave out from the oscillators, post filter mix also makes this *the* phatest sounding synth, including my modulars.

Come on, let's hear a few demos!

16 voices, 2 VCOs per voice...32 VCOs. When you tap the unison button, the neighbours will come asking what's the new thing you got :D

Dune 2 has 2 oscs with 32 x unison each + a 3rd 1 voice osc, with 8 voice unison on top of all that. (32 * 2 + 1) * 8 = 520 voices

And that can be played polyphonically with a max. of 16 voices.

trollface.jpg

The irony is that apparently the A6 was the project that brought Alesis to its knees and Numark bought them off.

Passionate, creative people fail to take into account market economic reality. Disaster ensues.

Other than that, the A4 is great for leads and weird synced effect type sounds as the LFO section is one of the best.

Personally I find the A4 kinda *needs* to go through the Elektron Heat, to give it some extra character.

I was going to ask how you like the A4 for psy, as far as filter etc. are concerned. It's been called cold and bland on Gearslutz.

Lastly what Eurorack envelopes and basic saw/pulse/tri/sine oscs do you like best?

Come on, let's hear a few demos!

Dune 2 has 2 oscs with 32 x unison each + a 3rd 1 voice osc, with 8 voice unison on top of all that. (32 * 2 + 1) * 8 = 520 voices

And that can be played polyphonically with a max. of 16 voices.

trollface.jpg

Passionate, creative people fail to take into account market economic reality. Disaster ensues.

I was going to ask how you like the A4 for psy, as far as filter etc. are concerned. It's been called cold and bland on Gearslutz.

Lastly what Eurorack envelopes and basic saw/pulse/tri/sine oscs do you like best?

Here's some exponetial FM patch I made, very easy to tune without syncing as the oscs are very stable without any "drift" programmed into them and FM index is via digital control and is extremely precise.

Sorry I posted this on facebook only.

https://www.facebook.com/100009455712042/videos/vb.100009455712042/1781840908807749/?type=3&theater

The A4 is a modern analog synth, meaning it does not sound like a Moog, OB-XA, Jupiter 8...etc...etc. So I think people saying it sounds cold and bland is because it sounds quite "neutreal".

The Rytm sounds much bigger and phatter but having said that, there is nothing I know of in that price range and in a such compact box that has 4 sequencers and features like the ones found in the A4. Two CV/Gate outs are a great feature for modular users as well.

Its the perfect live box, imo, as you build your patch and sequence in the studio and take it with you on stage. Its also a fantastic improvisational box, you can make great stuff in minutes.

You also have a second filter to high pass any bass that clutters the bottom end, you have very nice effects, you just plug this in and let it rip.

The new OS adds some nice modulation features

https://www.facebook.com/100009455712042/videos/vb.100009455712042/1678025319189309/?type=3&theater

• 2 months later...

Ok, so here's what I got to work with:

- Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256gb - just bought it on sale in UK, not a power-house but gets the job done (current project hovers around 20-25% with low Asio4All latency),

- Arturia MiniLab - great for controlling 16 parameters at once, though got to have my whole family help me with it as I only have two hands ;)

- Bayerdynamics DT990 Pro - clean, flat-sounding headphones but leak like crazy (they're open), so I don't really crank them up very much, especially at nights,

- Ableton Live 9 Suite - an industry standard and really powerful software, with an LT skin.

The main idea of this setup is that it's extremely portable. As you can see, I have to studio so to speak, so I need to be able to pack it all up quickly and hide in the closet.

LUdxa7t.jpg

• Like 1