shitty trance > goa

i dont get the point.

there are actually people who prefer shitty commercial cheap sounding trance to high-quality goatrance.

i mean its not that i never listen to 'normal' trance from time to time, its quite the contrary, can be a nice change from time to time.

nonetheless, i still know what quality music is. not that normal trance cant have quality, but goa is far more complex. maybe complicated is the result of this complexity. but there are even 'intelligent' people who cant enjoy that wonderful sort of music and like i've said at the beginning, i cant see the point why thats the way it is!?

almost seems like this is one of many results of the rising stupidity.

well, my opinion...

then tell me why please ... <--- I dont know his opinion, but Im guessing because you are thinking in YOUR opinion, as if it was the truth. The music you like may be considered shit by others. Also you generalize in many ways..

Not all goa is good. Not all that is not goa is "shitty commercial cheap sounding trance". There are many different shades' of trance, many different feelings. You also talk about 'normal' trance.. What is that? How do you define it? It's all your subjectivity dude! if you want to criticise, criticise, but realize it is your opinion and that the exact opposite is just as true

Guest Kiph T. Elephant

"it's better not to get the holocaust involed in this"

it's an internet discussion and as we all know, it wouldn't be a true internet discussion without the mention of hitler.

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

I wouldn't want GMS blasting in my ears in my usual place where I go to see my friends and have a few drinks. I'd feel more comfortable with a smooth 130 bpm piece with a soft kick, rather than a 145 bpm, 16-note-baseline-monster that makes you want to drop acid instantly.

Believe me, every music has its right time and place.

well i never said only goa is true music. and from time to time i need a change too. and i also said "well, my opinion"

i also didnt say every goa track is great.and comparing anything anyone said to hitler is pretty ridiculous..

i also never said that I'm completley right.

I was just wondering about a personal experience i experienced, thats it. like many others do in a public forum.

well, however. so much intolerance regaring other styles from other people. why cant i be a little bit intolerant too?

Guest ciotera

you obviously like this music very much.. and so do I and most people at this forum, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

but you sound a little bit like those christians who can't imagine why the whole world has not yet turned to jesus for salvation. it's a little silly, don't you think?

you have found something that you like, something that you can relate to - good for you! maybe other people have found their own thing that they like, or maybe they don't even bother looking for anything and just consume what MTV and radio stations dish out to them, maybe music is just not that big of a deal for them.

and generally, it's very dangerous to be so convinced that you have made the "right choice," even if only for yourself.. makes you reluctant to try new things.. what's the point of experimenting if you are convinced that you have already found "the best?"

your comment about "rising stupidity" was arrogant and completely inappropriate. do you think you are smarter than others because you listen ot this music? or do you listen to this music because you are smarter? either way, you are wrong. musical tastes may correlate with intelligence, but I'll bet you that the smartest people in the world don't listen to psy, they most likely listen to classical.

i like classical music too,

despite that, i dont say i'm the smartest. on the other side i dont think that i'm stupid.

maybe my comment on rising stupidity was not ok, but if u r honest.... when u turn on tv for example and u see these shows which are acutally watched by some people...

well I'm sorry for that post

i just couldnt understand that a friend of mine who actually likes melodic stuff doesnt like music like mfg - new kind of world, but prefers a more or less simple commercial trance song. (ok now that have been a lot of 'like's in that sentence o_O )

thats the background to my post

Different people have different tastes and that's that... Why are AP making stuff that sound like a slightly more complex form of Nu-NRG when they were making deep complex goa 10 years ago? Why are talented artists like Etnica, Dado and Absolum (former Transwave) and Graham Woods simply copying today's simplistic and uninteresting style of psytrance instead of making the masterpieces they did 10 years ago? I don't think anyone has an answer to those questions...

SMI²LE

Guest Blaaargh

Bloody hell, right you are, show me complex psytrance nowadays!!?

Once and for all, GMS AINT COMPLEX! Astrix aint complex! The full-on clones aint shit complex.

Hallucinogen, thats complex, and most things coming out from Psy Harmonics in the 90s.

Honestly, I´ve heard "commercial" trance being a LOT more inventive and complex compared to full-on, psy, prog whatever goa crap.

i didnt name any artist who makes complex music

guys, u should read my stuff before just critizising my opinion.

and to lemmiwinks: there are still enough unanswered question. and thats the reason why people try to solve these questions... just because we dunno if we are alone in the universe that doesnt mean we take everything how it is but to try to find out how it really is.

beside that, blaargh, any gms track is more complex than a ntz ntz ntz followed by snare drums fading in followed by düdldü düdldü track. what doesnt mean that the düdldü track has to be bad

Guest Blaaargh

I disagree, complex music is usually the better. And I truly disagree that any GMS track is more complex than any regular trance track. When you make 200 tracks that sound exactly the same its not so much a question of complexity any longer...

(Then of course simplicity can also be incredibly difficult to achieve, and pure simplicity is often better when combined with complexity, but thats a different and complicated matter...)

ANYWAY - You must be listening to the wrong music. Compare GMS with the stuff Gabriel&Dresden is producing and you´ll find a whole new meaning to the word complexity, as well as high quality music.

sorry dude, u missunderstood me...

i DIDNT say gms is more complex than ANY regular trance track.

and - am I repeating myself :) - never said there arent any good pieces of regular trance. i appreciate songs from gabriel & dresden, James Holden, Riley & Durrant and many others.

but u cant tell me that there are no cheap, bad regular trance traxx. and they are what i am talking about ...

I dont understand why people get pissed off about this post. Im sure most agree that the usual Hollywood Mainstream movies are shitty, even though many are welldone the plot is usually so bad and you know how the movie will end before it starts, then there is always some regular hollywood movies which surprises and are very good.

So i would say that most of the club-trance are well-produced but mainly for simpleminded people, like most of the hollywood movies. Good if they like it, but it still call it shitty that offers nothing for my brain for deeper stimulation. :)

I like tiestos mixes though.

Guest rx7style

Let me put it this way. All of us here have probably listened to some, if not a lot of good psy & goa/chillout/dub/downtempo/ambient --- whatever you listen to in the electronic genre, if not every genre of music that has ever been classified as such.

I love to listen to a lot of baroque, or romantic, or even early (period) music. Jazz many times over... I own every Miles Davis CD that was released, and I have many vinyl LP as well.

I even get forced by my friends to listen to some music I don't like at all, but I tolerate it all because it's meant to entertain and I like being entertained.

So we all listen to many styles of music for a variety of reasons. I have decided to dedicate the music related aspects of my life only to the best possible joy that can be ascertained by it. The music I've discovered through these forums has been diverse and expansive.

And I'm sure a lot of you feel similar to this, or described in your own words the similarities of you finding the music spoken about here on this forum, and how you discovered it. Everyone just talks with so much passion behind them, and it's because we all have this music to bring us together on a forum.

So my peace speech is over. But if anyone talks about racial comments or hateful comments, this thread or inappropriate posts will be removed from display. 8^)

naiman: I'm actually happy that there are people who understand my opinion. even though most of the guys missunderstood it.

well, if there is an austrian (not australian ;) guy in here who shares my passion to goa/psy, contact me =)

I can see why someone could hate tha oldscholl goa madness whith a lot of synth lines blasting you ear, it is a very unique sound that will hit only a few people.

I also can see why someone call that genious, because that is what he is looking for in psy music, but more soft, minimalist songs are also genius if they can create a atmosphere that will hit you either