YouTube vids are annoying

Anu Katariina

There was this member who came back to psynews after 5 years pause or something like that. He asked what has changed. An educated answer by a member (cannot recall the answer nor the topic in itself) was about like this: nowadays we are just posting YouTube videos; there's not actual discussion.

Ok. I love to get recommendations and videos shared. Wouldn't be here without. But instead of plain posting of a Yt vid, could we change the approach to be a more analysis type of a thing: a few accompanying words would do a lot, don't ya think? Yes, some already do it, but I always find annoying to see a plain video posted.

i don't think that the videos are supplanting discussion. before youtube links we would post "artist name - title", we now post a video to save the readers the time to look it up. the problem is that it seems much more lazy and stupid to just post artist and track title without any kind of comment rather than posting a youtube video without any kind of comment, so the latter occurs way too often :)

i don't think that the videos are supplanting discussion. before youtube links we would post "artist name - title", we now post a video to save the readers the time to look it up. the problem is that it seems much more lazy and stupid to just post artist and track title without any kind of comment rather than posting a youtube video without any kind of comment, so the latter occurs way too often :)

+1

before youtube links we would post "artist name - title",

I didn't know this. Now I do and I see there's no going back. Actually I would like it. Some psynews topics with massive amounts of vids take long to load.

Edit: A bit off topic but I am actually also interested in how these online possibilities like YouTube links effect on server space/financing it. Why is there not a jpg picture button, but one has to plant the pic somewhere online to post it? Someone said a direct jpg pic uploading possibility is expensive.

It would be an interesting challenge to have music recommendation threads without any Youtube videos. :) I suspect it's more than doable... we have Soundcloud, Bandcamp, record labels' own sites, and Discogs entries (and Discogs usually links to Youtube tracks anyway) for just about any artist we want.

(And let's not allow Youtube to lull us into a false sense of security... there's still lots of music that's impossible to find in video form!)

A bit off topic but I am actually also interested in how these online possibilities like YouTube links effect on server space/financing it.

AFAIK it doesn't. Embedded YT videos aren't hosted by Psynews; when a user loads the page the video player gets its data straight from YouTube.

Why is there not a jpg picture button, but one has to plant the pic somewhere online to post it? Someone said a direct jpg pic uploading possibility is expensive.

Yes, if we allowed users to attach images to their posts we would have to store those images, which would require much more memory than just encoded text. When you upload to a different site and hotlink, the other site stores the image and Psynews just stores the URL.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be an interesting challenge to have music recommendation threads without any Youtube videos. :) I suspect it's more than doable... we have Soundcloud, Bandcamp, record labels' own sites, and Discogs entries (and Discogs usually links to Youtube tracks anyway) for just about any artist we want.

(And let's not allow Youtube to lull us into a false sense of security... there's still lots of music that's impossible to find in video form!)

This thread hasn't interested the psynews audience for any more comments so I think ppl don't bother to have any changes: a busy and on the other hand a convenience oriented society ;)

A lot of times the questions are just something like "Hey, can you give me a suggestion on [something]". A song link with little to no discussion is fine to me in that case.

Although I do tire of seeing posts where people put more than one or two Youtube embeds, especially in threads where the question really SHOULD be answered with words.

As a side note, I've come to hate the fact that Youtube is the default source for music. For some reason Youtube has been accepted as a legitimate place to host music even by people other than the copyright holder, but try to host that music anywhere else as JUST a music file (no video), and suddenly it's a death sentence. I'd love it if we could post links to legitimately-hosted songs here that were just music files, not music with a static picture of the album cover that never changed but still increased the amount of data you're streaming.

• Like 1

but try to host that music anywhere else as JUST a music file (no video), and suddenly it's a death sentence. I'd love it if we could post links to legitimately-hosted songs here that were just music files, not music with a static picture of the album cover that never changed but still increased the amount of data you're streaming.

Yes. This would be very much appreciated.

From my own experience of reading this forum since the early 2000, there is no difference

Here is an example of a thread back in year 2002 https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/1950-best-old-school-tunes-for-party/

Read the answers you will know what I mean :)

However the only annoying thing is when videos get deleted, that is why I always try to write the name of the track when I post a video.

• 3 weeks later...

Even bands/labels post their their stuff to YT, so it seems quite a legitimate source nowadays. And most of the YT stuff has copyright, but it seems labels/artists

are actually (in most cases) fine that their stuff is on there. Otherwise most of it would be taken down long ago. This is because YT/Google has a kind of

monopoly in this market. But this is not only the case here, in any music forum YT links are number 1, with almost nothing coming in the 2nd place. I am fine with

that eg. Soundcloud links sometimes will not play and some other issus (they seem to use more pc resouces than YT for some reason):

But I agree a page with lots of YT videos may be annoying. The solution is easy tho, disable flash and/or java (cant remember which one maybe both)

Their are browser plugs which can do this eg.