3. Vs117sv

4. Interlock

5. Mechanoid

6. Voksillator

7. Kriotron

8. Polar

9. Astra

10. Out

I always like to check in on Timecode Records and see what they're up to. There was a time when I was completely enamored with this label. The glory days when it seemed that every single release they threw out there was better than the next. Originators of that South African sound that skillfully melded dark atmosphere with melody and power. Times change and artists move on yet this label still has designs to be a force in psytrance.

Sulima is a Russian artist who I have limited experience with and I suppose his style could be a cross between darkpsy and night time psytrance music if that makes it any less clear. Never heard his album Time Shift, but I was eager to see what he was cooking up. This is a fairly solid album (digital only), dark and thumping. He uses a lot of similar sounds so it can be a little difficult to avoid sounding samey. That said he's also pretty good at layering and creating a futuristic atmosphere. There are 8 full tracks as well as an intro and an outro providing that aforementioned eerie future feel. There are a few standouts like Interlock and Astra which seem to hit that sweet spot between rich darkness and attainable melody, but the album as a whole falls a little short of greatness. However if you like your night time psytrance a little on the dark side without being mindless, then this is for you.

Good job Timecode.

Timecode Bandcamp

Psyshop

• 3 months later...