Hello folks!

I need your opinion of the following:

Summer is about to be in a package once again and hope all festival attendants enjoyed the time.

This autumn/fall is about to be very busy considering the release pace. Neogoa has 5 announced albums/EP's including the one available today; Suntrip and Timewarp have stuff coming, Sita will be active, even Cronomi is emerging again as CD shipping of their newest release starts any time + already available as a digital format. Ektoplazm is blooming of new stuff. Filipe is contributing as fast he can (which sure is all-time fast) etc. etc.

How do you ppl handle this? I kinda love it kinda hate it. I am a person who needs to spin a release more than 3 times before making a decision whether to get more involved with it or not (buying/commenting/giving feedback). Especially I am interested of the feeling of the review guys: how much do ya listen to a release before a review is ready set go? And label heads: any frustration there as your release is buried by the flow soon?

Let them sink in. :)

With free releases, I usually download them at once, but it can take a while until I actually listen to them. I have yet to really listen to Proxeeus' album, for instance. There are days where I simply want to hear new music, and then I turn the new ones on. Days where you work in your home (dishes, laundry, clean up, etc.) or at the computer are good for new releases as well. After listening two or three times, I decide whether I want to keep a release or not (I don't mindlessly collect music that I won't listen to anyway).

With CDs, it's a little different. I judge them by my personal hype factor and - of course - by provided samples. As for hype, with Suntrip examples: when a new Ra album comes, I won't hesitate to buy it immediately. The Prana Remix album didn't interest me one bit, so no buy. When I'm not sure (mostly the case for compilations), it depends on how much money I got left. :D

One thing is important, I guess. Don't try to catch up with everything immediately, it's virtually not possible. Be in peace with not knowing everything the day it comes out, or the day after that, or even the week after that.

• Like 1

I find I am always a number of years behind the releases, unless something absolutely exceptional emerges that catches my attention (such as the Deviant Electronics release or filteria's most recent album).

No need to sweat it though, the music isn't going anywhere once it's been released, I can't imagine I would have been able to keep up with a fraction of all the oldschool releases coming out in the early nineties without the wonder of youtube!

@ Veasna: interesting all you wrote..

Now I am making the most naked confession I have never made in psynews (the drug topic was it for sure but this is even more, hah):

I made an inventory of my CD collection today.

These are the CD's that came and haven't even touched them:

Suntrip: Epoch Of The Terrans, Asia 2001 re-release, Prana remixes, Aurora Sidera

Spacedock: Omnivox Fragments Of Evolution

Cronomi: M-Run Some Run Just For Fun

Sita: Eyal Iceman Blast from the East EP, Sky Technology In Search Of Ancient Knowledge

Timewarp: Lectro Spektral Daze Voyage In Your Mind

Hado Rec: V/A Locomotion

Aural Connection Rec: Profetia No Chance of Winning

Makes me think I am an awful person and the worst hypocrite of all. I have/am listened/listening these through Soundcloud/Youtube, though, because it is "easier" and still kinda think that to spin a CD one has to be up to it like it would mean a world (wrong thinking). Damn. At least the labels/producers got the financial support. I need a psychotherapy if I am turning into a nut collector, though.

Same as Ollyl, years in fact decades behind the releases. I'm still enjoying the late 90's golden years. I listen to new school releases based on few factors such fav as Fav Artist, insane hype :P sadly since the begining of 2015, with limited internet I've not been able to get much of the free releases so that has given me more time to enjoy and appreciate old favourites.

These days after spending enough time with the old school Goa, I feel I have covered the classics, at least most of them and now I find myself drifting past boundaries and discovering new genres/sub genres which previously were unknown or didn't get much attention due to some reasons. And with that new genre the cycle starts again, Find out the classics-->Fav artists--> new releases--> hyped releases--> A hint of content-- > Repeat :)

I feel once can never keep up with it. There is too much of good music (IMO) out there, some are bound to miss out just to be rediscovered some time later.

As you spend good amount of time appreciating New School , you were unaware of Jaia and CBL and others. As I spend much time with the old school I have yet to listen to Antares, Aurora Sidera, Sadhna, Proxeeus and so many other new releases. If only we all had 4 ears and a far powerful brain with ultra high processing capabilities :|

That is where Psynews comes in for me, there are people passionate about almost all the different subgenres of Goa/Psy and ambient music. And hence one will get to know what's good/bad/ current status etc etc then you stumble upon some mesmerising track and get hooked to the artist/label or the genre itself. :)

• Like 1

Now I am making the most naked confession I have never made in psynews (the drug topic was it for sure but this is even more, hah):

Suntrip: Epoch Of The Terrans, Asia 2001 re-release, Prana remixes, Aurora Sidera

Sita: Eyal Iceman Blast from the East EP, V/A Nitz-Ho-Goa, Sky Technology In Search Of Ancient Knowledge

Makes me think I am an awful person and the worst hypocrite of all. I have/am listened/listening these through Soundcloud/Youtube, though, because it is "easier" and still kinda think that to spin a CD one has to be up to it like it would mean a world (wrong thinking). Damn. At least the labels/producers got the financial support. I need a psychotherapy if I am turning into a nut collector, though.

Trust me!!

Tear the wrapper on that Asia 2001 re-release now! Like Now, Now!

As we are confessing about that,

I've 100 odd CD's , I never play them! Good amount of them still sealed. They be for the future when the setup will be complete. As of now, only vinyl :)

And no I don't need a therapist.

@Anu, don't you think it's better to use the profile names.? Or else it feels like it's a conversation between friends. ( just what was complained recently in Psynews is dying thread)

I don't care. I have survived and I am 44 ;) I needed that cute envelope written by Joske in a pic. I adore his handwriting :lol:

I don't care. I have survived and I am 44 ;) I needed that cute envelope written by Joske in a pic. I adore his handwriting :lol:

Misunderstanding :)

I was pointing to --- "@Veasna"

Yeah, he does have that kiddish handwriting :D (meant in a good day Joske)

Do tell us your favourites from it.

• Like 1

Well, like a kid? Come on, I teach teenagers... but yes, they all say the same, I write like a kid... Sorry :P héhé

On topic: listening to music? I really plan time for that. When I'm behind my pc mostly... but also, often way ahead... All the promos I get is often fast listening, you hear within 10 seconds if it is decent or not :)

Well, like a kid? Come on, I teach teenagers... but yes, they all say the same, I write like a kid... Sorry :P héhé

On topic: listening to music? I really plan time for that. When I'm behind my pc mostly... but also, often way ahead... All the promos I get is often fast listening, you hear within 10 seconds if it is decent or not :)

Oh yea absolutely! I know you know what you want from Suntrip releases and so it makes sense to me that the style is immediately obvious to you. I find myself doing the same thing sometimes. I can turn on a track and within like 30 seconds, somewhere in the middle of the track, I can generally tell whether it is worth listening to the whole thing or not based on my mood.

In other words, it's what you are looking for in tracks that you end up engaging with. I could listen to one track from a compilation over and over and over if it's what is interesting me at the moment. With that in mind, I could always listen to just about anything and engage with it on a purely intellectual level. You kind of have to when you've listened to so much of a particular genre. In that case I listen to the production ideas, maybe I even dance, but the truly enigmatic tracks that I hold tight I end up listening to way more often.

I ask myself, does this track have the potential to build an emotional connection with me? It's like a girlfriend. You start off as a teenager and you are attracted to every girl. Then your preferences are refined when you get older until you realize that 90% of the girls out there you will never have a deep intimate relationship with. You briefly get to know a girl and right off the bat you know whether they are worth your time. And this continues until finally you find the right one. You spend all your time with that one girl (track) and you listen to it (her) over and over and over. You have "special" moments together and then you realize you want to give birth to tracks of your own. And then those tracks (children) have a life of their own and maybe they too will have that emotional connection to someone someday.

• Like 1

I would disagree with this. I've gone through albums with the skipping mentality and said "blah". A while later I might accidentally play full tracks and realize what gems I've missed..

• Like 1

I would disagree with this. I've gone through albums with the skipping mentality and said "blah". A while later I might accidentally play full tracks and realize what gems I've missed..

I'm just talking about promos... Some/often they are SO amateurish, you can hear it in 10 seconds, believe me...

All the others will be listened completely, and that takes a LOT of time :)

When it comes to promo I really like to listen to whole thing, at least few times before I make any decission. That's the least thing I can do to thoose artists who are putting a lot of their efforts and time to create something from nothing. Regarding the feedback, that is something I can't afford at the moment because of really busy schedule and it's basiclly imposible to give proper feedback to each person who sends their stuff to us.

• Like 2

Regarding the feedback, that is something I can't afford at the moment because of really busy schedule and it's basiclly imposible to give proper feedback to each person who sends their stuff to us.

+1... Thats so hard... Still, listening at least 4 hours a day to goa... minimum :)

Hello folks!

I need your opinion of the following:

Summer is about to be in a package once again and hope all festival attendants enjoyed the time.

This autumn/fall is about to be very busy considering the release pace. Neogoa has 5 announced albums/EP's including the one available today; Suntrip and Timewarp have stuff coming, Sita will be active, even Cronomi is emerging again as CD shipping of their newest release starts any time + already available as a digital format. Ektoplazm is blooming of new stuff. Filipe is contributing as fast he can (which sure is all-time fast) etc. etc.

How do you ppl handle this? I kinda love it kinda hate it. I am a person who needs to spin a release more than 3 times before making a decision whether to get more involved with it or not (buying/commenting/giving feedback). Especially I am interested of the feeling of the review guys: how much do ya listen to a release before a review is ready set go? And label heads: any frustration there as your release is buried by the flow soon?

No need to stress really. I'm just putting stuff up and people are free to browse , listen and buy anytime they feel like it. :)

Sita: Eyal Iceman Blast from the East EP, V/A Nitz-Ho-Goa, Sky Technology In Search Of Ancient Knowledge

Try the Omnivox album, I like ot much.

I don't understand the rationale for all the recent releases from Submoon Records. The volume is overwhelming. It just seems like a massive data dump. Who has the time to listen to all this music? At this point I don't even try, I just move on to other artists and other labels with less frantic release schedules.

I don't understand the rationale for all the recent releases from Submoon Records. The volume is overwhelming. It just seems like a massive data dump. Who has the time to listen to all this music? At this point I don't even try, I just move on to other artists and other labels with less frantic release schedules.

I already mentioned I've been away for 2 years and I had lots of material on Queue.

• 3 weeks later...

I find I am always a number of years behind the releases, unless something absolutely exceptional emerges that catches my attention (such as the Deviant Electronics release or filteria's most recent album).

No need to sweat it though, the music isn't going anywhere once it's been released, I can't imagine I would have been able to keep up with a fraction of all the oldschool releases coming out in the early nineties without the wonder of youtube!

Yup, thats my view too. However now it is quite different than say still 15-20 yrs ago, when there was so much good stuff coming out and you were excited when some guy(s)

put out some noise. Thats not for psy alone but all the genres I listened too. Maybe ecxept Metal where is even much good newer stuff (why this genre is so much better

than most electronic ones I dont know tho).

As for reviews I wrote for some webzine for a while and also a printed zine 15 yr or so ago, mostly reviews sometimes interviews or concert reports. It was fun for a while and also

I thought it was kind of a mission to recommend and promote good music (or what I thought to be good, which mostly is). but it really gets annoying if

most of the promo you get sound generic and you are at a loss of words to describe i. So I quit that "hobby" But I would listen at least 3-4 times before forming an opinion

and writing something... and often ignore the label info sheets as they often were just hype. Some were spot on though (which got that label a bonus in my

view).....

Btw. the overflow you mention can be called a big tsunami for at least the last 5-6 yrs or so.How much music is now out there in the nets ?

Millions of tracks maybe?

I also had an electronic group at Soundcloud (or better still have it but do not care anymore)... strangely enough it became quite popular even if I wanted

to push some of my own shit through it. When I set it up I planned to this different and listen to tracks that are added or submitted and do only feature those

that fit the groups description. Well I listened really to many of them at least for a minute or so to check if at least the genre is right and is not

some rip off or mix or cover version etc. But gave this up quite quickly because it were too much tracks added and I must admit there wasnt much really

stuff to discover (to my ears at least). Anyone who has a sample program downloaded somewhere now makes music and also uploads it somewhere, so you need

to wade through a lot of "shit" to fit some gems. Way too time consuming. Then the times of records and CDs were a bit easier imo.

Yup, thats my view too. However now it is quite different than say still 15-20 yrs ago, when there was so much good stuff coming out and you were excited when some guy(s)

put out some noise. Thats not for psy alone but all the genres I listened too. Maybe ecxept Metal where is even much good newer stuff (why this genre is so much better

than most electronic ones I dont know tho).

As for reviews I wrote for some webzine for a while and also a printed zine 15 yr or so ago, mostly reviews sometimes interviews or concert reports. It was fun for a while and also

I thought it was kind of a mission to recommend and promote good music (or what I thought to be good, which mostly is). but it really gets annoying if

most of the promo you get sound generic and you are at a loss of words to describe i. So I quit that "hobby" But I would listen at least 3-4 times before forming an opinion

and writing something... and often ignore the label info sheets as they often were just hype. Some were spot on though (which got that label a bonus in my

view).....

that's due to music equipment being available to everyone today. anybody can download a synth a put out any shit. back in days there was more value because musical equip would cost not anyone would be spending cash to put out some shit , you really had to be passionate about it . same applies today and that explains where the best music comes from.

• Like 1