Anu Katariina

So how is it?

Are we up in a few years?

1. Funding

2. Active commenting (I have seen posts with not a single comment)

3. Sleeper members (should them be activated like sending e-mails: we miss you)

4. Guests; without this option psynews posts could not be shared in some but, hey, do the spying folks belong to this world beyond ;)?

5. What makes the difference bw psynews and other online sites

6. Other things that makes this forum attractive/unattractive

I could not live without this place anymore. I am willing to keep it up and well. An idea of posting this came on the basis of a discussion with a friend last night. He said he thinks psynews is gradually dying :(

• Like 1

You can always donate here:

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/69531-if-you-like-psynews-please-donate/?do=findComment&comment=1051969

I'm planning to too, sometime very soon.

I do not think its dying. This has been said and discussed a lot of times previously. Since I have joined, it's always like this.

Keep in mind that lot of people over here are musicians/label owner themselves so sometimes these guys are no where to be seen ( list in August, every year) and also if you watch it closely, when Young we be posting like crazy, then the responsibility kicks in, partying comes down, family time / work time goes up.

But once a member, always a member. Hardly anyone leaves forever. Apart from them Cheats and the banned guys.

Even if everyone leaves, I think the "Mad Old Ones" will always be here. Right? Right? Say I am right! :/ I'll miss you all if that day comes. Especially those whom I do not know. :|

Thanks to psynews I've got to know some really nice people. Tal (where the hell are you bro?) ,Paul Eye, Mergi (I admire this dude!) , Ridge, Earwall, Pat and ofcourse all the Artists and Label owners. Hopefully will be in touch with majority of them but some are reserved and the only contact is when they post : "This is the best track ever" :D

Or when they say " Volume on track 1 is lower than track 2 " :D and everyone else. Let me take this moment and wish you all Health and Happiness in Life!

Cheers!

Ahahhaaaa..@Starkraver: was thinking of you when posting this, lol. If it was up to you this would never die :D I am aware of some previous discussions alike. Sure thing that some producers want to remove their "trace" of what they have been seeing on the forum. I get it. Anywayz, time to discuss the topic gain, don't ya think? Donations are def needed. That's the basis of everything!

yes I don't think some members will ever leave. I am in since year 2000 and athough I have not posted too much, I have read it weekly if not daily since then.

• Like 2

yes I don't think some members will ever leave. I am in since year 2000 and athough I have not posted too much, I have read it weekly if not daily since then.

Yup, I will someday be the mad old one and you guys will be the "grey haired grandpa's" :D:P

As long as Psynews has the richest and most organised list of reviewed albums on the net its existence is made vital. The work done by continuously dedicated members like Trance2MoveU ensures that we get a lot of traffic coming to read the material.

The truth about activity on the board is that we have discussed a lot of the topics many times. How many threads can we revisit about how much we love Etnica? This is a very Goa-centric community and Goa trance is a minutely small genre of music.

I have been here since 2010 with only 477 posts, I put this down to my own narrow focus of taste within psychedelic trance.

• Like 1

Yes, psynews will continue... it would be interesting to see the amount of silent lurkers per day, but I know it are A LOT, I know a period in the past it was sometimes 100 times more as the amount of posts!

But yes, it could be more active, of course... but well, its hard to attract new members to an ancient forum-based board like this. But, you can try, new ones come once in a while and yes, some old ones will stay forever (like me) :D

• Like 2

As long as Psynews has the richest and most organised list of reviewed albums on the net its existence is made all the more vital.

A word!

As long as Psynews has the richest and most organised list of reviewed albums on the net its existence is made vital. The work done by continuously dedicated members like Trance2MoveU ensures that we get a lot of traffic coming to read the material.

The truth about activity on the board is that we have discussed a lot of the topics many times. How many threads can we revisit about how much we love Etnica? This is a very Goa-centric community and Goa trance is a minutely small genre of music.

I have been here since 2010 with only 477 posts, I put this down to my own narrow focus of taste within psychedelic trance.

Very true. DP, Trance2MoveU, Abasio have put in a lot of work. There was a brief period of FatKidWithJetPack.

Reviews section is the most important part of psynews for sure next comes the Artists news section. These are what attract traffic.

General Psytrance discussion Is an added perk for the users :P to come and say #LongLiveEtnica :D

This question has been asked many times before, but Psynews is still alive.

The truth is that Psynews has lost a large amount of active posters, but the boom of social media especially facebook has struck most forums so there's not much you can do about.

As far as I know Psynews is still the most active Psytrance forum on the planet while the big "rival" Isratrance is a haunted house.

Plus we're planning something big that will put Psynews back in the spotlight. :)

• Like 1

I haven't donated at all. I have been thinking about it though... right now what is holding me back is that psynews seems to manage without it. But yeah, if it comes down to "we cannot survive unless we raise a certain amount of money" I'd donate in jiffy. Maybe there could be subscriptions (different tiers of memberships), where monthly/yearly it'll withdraw an amount of money.

To get busy the board needs something that activates its members, I did my two 10 CD contests which I want to believe was quite popular :). The contest that Ormion announced above seems like a good way to get some activity on here, because I'm guessing it is going to be one of those tracks competitions which we used to have back then.

Dying is the wrong word for psynews. I think more of lows and highs which is to me very much a normal thing. Of course some members moves on that is part of life but then ultimately we have new members and members that stay forever.

I'll donate as soon as I find a job, which can take a few months.

I shall also participate more, I do have some ideas but never manage to get them written.

I don't think this forum is dying. There are just periods that are less active than others.

So how is it?

Are we up in a few years?

1. Funding

2. Active commenting (I have seen posts with not a single comment)

3. Sleeper members (should them be activated like sending e-mails: we miss you)

4. Guests; without this option psynews posts could not be shared in some but, hey, do the spying folks belong to this world beyond ;)?

5. What makes the difference bw psynews and other online sites

6. Other things that makes this forum attractive/unattractive

I could not live without this place anymore. I am willing to keep it up and well. An idea of posting this came on the basis of a discussion with a friend last night. He said he thinks psynews is gradually dying :(

My two cents

1) No idea

2) I also stopped posting almost completely.

Reason is because most of the threads fall into one those categories:

- It is a talk between a couple of old members that do just their thing and ignore all other posts.

- You get shitstormed because you posted a dark track on a goa thread, proggy track on a full topic, ...

- The topic is washed up to dead already.

No interest in participating on any of those. Interesting /serious topics usually convert into one of those categories after a couple of days latest.

3) Try it, but I hardly believe someone that has lost interested will come back because of such an e-mail.

4) Don't get what you mean with that. I'm almost always on forums as a 'guest' unless I plan to actually post something.

5) Diversity.

i.e. I spent hours writing on a topic about structure of modern psytrance (influenced by psy-rock vs. more similar to jazz, vs...) on a rock-music forum. It was really interesting and I learned a lot of new views on 'our' genre. Talking about such a topic in here would be basically about "modern psy suck, all the same, no music, just random, want old-school back, funny animate-gif + some old-member inside talk" ... kk bb

6) Said most important things already

• Like 2

The truth is that Psynews is very Goa-centric and not very welcome to other genres (and almost hostile against certain genres).

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix that?

However things are actually much better now than 7-8 years ago. Back then even mentioning the words full on or darkpsy was enough to create drama. That was mostly due to some really annoying and obnoxious members that I'm personally glad they left.

I think there's been a lull in new releases that really excite people. I just took a look at my music library additions over the last few months and my favorite new album was Ozric's Technicians Of The Sacred. The latest goa / psy stuff is OK, but nothing has really hooked me. A lot of it sounds competent but bland. The only album that's really made an impression so far this year was Qiujan's Ritual To The Light. Maybe there's too much new music and not enough time to absorb it. Maybe we're all sated by the great music from the past. Maybe other goa / psy fans like myself are just spending more time on other musical genres.