Hallucinogen's "The Lone Deranger"

I don't listen to much psytrance, but if I could only keep one album that I own out of an impressive collection of all things electronica, it would have to be Hallucinogen's "The Lone Deranger".

In the psy arena I own albums by Shpongle, Pleiadians, Dimension 5, Man with no Name, Astral Projection and Hallucinogen's "Twisted". Although most of it is good stuff (with the exception of Astral Projection's "Amen"), nothing comes close to the dark, deranged and insane brilliance of what "The Lone Deranger" does to me. It grabs me from the very opening and never lets go until it is over. I've had it for probably six months and every time I listen it gets better and better.

Still I search.......is there anything out there that comes close to the same atmosphere and sound that this recording creates? Maybe I've missed the psytrance boat, but so much of what I have sounds the same. This album is subtly but forever changing and takes you all over the map.

I agree, The Lone Deranger is brilliant but I can' t say that is the only psy trance album that is eternal...there are heaps of stuff...And Project Genesis is also BRILLIANT....Albums that can come close to Lone Deranger could be INFECTED MUSHROOM - THE GATHERING...If you're looking for more dark, twisted, unique albums, you should check UX - ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE, SLIDE - UNSTABLE, EON PROJECT - BRAIN FILTER, PSYCHAOS - CAUSE AND EFFECT, BATTLE OF THE FUTURE BUDDHAS - TWIN SHARKFINS, CHILDREN OF PARADISE - URBAN ALIEN, CYDONIA - IN FEAR OF RED PLANET, DARK SOHO - SUN SPOT and many more...

Certainly not ! I can't understand why so many good artists quit or started making different style of music. MFG was one of the best in the scene and after Astral the best from Israel...Maybe they decided to split after seeing that idiot of Skazi is taking over the scene...What a shame !

Guest Moongoose

I only have the skazi:animal album and i think it´s quite bad,but i have heard some other good trax from skazi like DMT i think it´s a great track.

The scene is ruined and artists know that...the REAL TRANCE SCENE is ruined with more and more of dark, stomping, non sense trance that hundreds of hot shots are producing every day...The real essence is gone, and every time when someone decided to make some retro-old school album he is spit and shit at, and completely turned off for making more of it...The spoiled, young audience is dictating with nowadays scene, making it as travesty of original trance, tripping that that is the spirit...COME ON ! GIVE IT A BREAK ! There is thousands of people that can't wait for more of melodies, crazyness, dementia, delirium trance and not this evil tech-trance progressive virus that is just sucking and sucking young brains...I mean, what happend to your guts, Astral, MFG, Hallucinogen, Shakta, Man With No Name and many others....What about keeping the spirit all along with other minimal-progressive artists...I don't mind those 2 genres, I just mind cause they are the only genres respectable these days and most people are making it....I haven't heard yet Ethereal but I am sure that people mind it just because they are making old school and not because they have nothing to say new....Everything NEW was SAID too...People are just repeating themselves even there...So, youngsters, STOP DICTATING the scene and go and get some brains...Maybe you'd like some of positivity trance was made about...IT IS NOT MADE ABOUT EVIL AND NEGATIVITY...Original Trance was about Peace, Love, Unity and Respect and not about Evil, Hate, Individuality and Disrespect !

Intresting opinion Seraph. But then, the scene is progressing, how would it be like if the music was in the same way all the time?

I love listen to older goa etc. (at this writing moment i'm listening to Pleiadians - I.F.O.). But at the same time it feels good that the scene have progressed alot, turned into differenet directions, it's always changing.

Of course theres more crap out there now, but thats becuase it has growed and more and more people listen to it. And the technology is more available and cheaper than it has been before.

I recently found some damn good new goa that give that should give all the old schoolers hope :)

http://www.artha.z.pl

http://www.onewayltd.com/filteria/home.htm

I am for progress, don't get me wrong, I just long for progression in old school goa, imagine that...Imagine those melodies with nowadays technology..It would sound better then from those years...I was just shocked how all of the best artists find themselves threatened with new comers that aren't even that scary ! I truly hope that someone positive and cheer will pop up soon and make some brilliant PROGRESSED OLD SCHOOL GOA TRANCE album...:)

Nowadays production value? Whats the big difference with 1997s Lone Deranger in terms of production quality? Dunno but the Lone Deranger sounds much more crisp than nowadays clean and sober productions. Besides, excellent production will not save a medicore track...

Agree with that, "The Lone Deranger" has better or more suitable sound than man of todays products. The sound is CLEANER in todays software productions and maybe everything is more 'PERFECT'. But music isn't all about the most perfect sound, like DDrum mentioned.

Back in the hardware days, the sounds were created by sometimes up to 10-15 different soundsources and each one with it's own "character" (like Posford and his Korg MS20 from the 1970's with it's special and UNIQUE sound, and the Roland SH-101 with it's lovley warm bass sounds - in example!).

Now most of the sounds is produced by computers and software. I think in general the sound is more 'honest' in productions like "The Lone Deranger".

Just compare Infected Muhsroom's albums (wether you like it or not). The latest one ("Converting Vegetarians") is a computer toy, it sounds clean and clear but lacks in expression. The two first ones ("The Gathering & "Classical Mushroom") maybe are a bit more rough and 'ugly' soundwise because they were created and mixed on hardware only, but you can hear the difference in the sounds. It doesn't sound like a "one-unit-thing" like Converting Vegetarians, the sound picture is more wide, broad and ALIVE!!!

try with talamascas-beyond the mask

battle of the future buddhas-twin sharkfins

battle of the future buddhas-demonoizer

transwave-helium

transwave-phototropic

some of pleidians and etnica`s stuff..

boom