Modern Dj-ing (Vinyl - Cd - Lap Top - ... ?)

Anoebis

very interesting...

while some people use cdj and laptops here in australia

alot are using vinyl.. i predict more will follow

Eh? Vinyl is near non-existent in the psy scene in Austalia in my experience here as a local over many years.

There are techno parties devoted to vinyl, and it's strong in DnB circles, but psy is very much a modern genre in terms of DJing.

I'm surprised USB / SD cards aren't being mentioned more. CDJ2000s or 900s are so often the norm now, I see this as often as I see people playing off laptops. These days it's almost always one or the other, CDs are becoming rare.

You still get the tactile feeling of working with a CDJ, it's the same as mixing off CD if you choose not to use the sync function, but you get the benefit of gigabytes of storage at a time. I prefer this to using a full-size laptop.

The biggest downside is the screen on the decks is small so it can take a while to cycle through folders to find the track you want or just surf and get an idea of what could be next. You can get around this using a full-size laptop with RecordBox to load the tracks (but you still play everything off the decks + mixer) which is cool, but that then begs the question if you are better off using Traktor or similar. It depends what style you are after.

Its hasnt been touched on much here with the experience for the crowd so I will go there. but first, I see cdjs used often at the ny outdoor parties and events in general in the states. laptops are still common whether the dj has a mini mixer connected via usb or what.

I enjoy seeing the dj working hard mixing the tracks or getting excited hearing their tunes come up. its an added bonus if you will since I can still have just as much fun hearing the music I like no matter how they played it. Is it something I prefer? yeah I guess but I wont be mad either way, laptop or not. skills or not. Just dont mess up the transitions everytime haha! I know it happens ;p Ive done very little in my free time. Only if whoever is performing is more so entertaining people backstage with chatting and hanging out then I would feel less connected on the dancefloor. All djs in here, do your thing and keep the passion ;D Play what you want and in doing so share more so what is you. What you love and want to share with us.

huh? so what kind of sound do they play in australia?

I couldn't even use vinyl if I wanted to, simply because nobody of my favorite artists & labels releases on vinyl.

Most don't even do CD releases anymore, but distributed it online only.

Not event thinking about all the unreleased stuff or home-brew production tracks, no way to get this stuff on vinyl.

maybe there is this new thing where you can convert cds to vinyl. think about that ;p

Being a DJ is for me quite vague. In my opinion everyone who selects and plays music (yeah even those who select and play music through a playlist on spotify youtube etc) for an audience (1 to infinity) is a "disc" jockey.

In what way they're doing it is probably important depending on what setting is applied. Also it is up to the DJ to play in the way most comfortable for her/himself.

As in any work department there is going to be some really bad DJs some good some great ones some brilliant and some geniuses.

Even with a sync button it is still an art, even with a prerecorded set it is an art. Of course plagiarism (playing someones elses mixes) is not an especially good idea for any DJ.

If you can pull of a great show with a prerecorded set, good for you!

I've never understood (as with CDs in general) why these CDJs still exist.

Vinyl DJs can get all their needs fit into traktor and timecoded vinyls, as well as being able to play with original vinyl.

CDJs is _exactly_ the same as playing with a midi-controller and a laptop, jog wheels and effects galore.

http://static.djbooth.net/pics-equip/vci400-2.jpg

You look into your computer inventory just as much as you look into your CD inventory. I've tried, there's at least for me no difference at all.

My set up right now is

2xPioneer PLX-1000

1xTechnics SL1200

2xPioneer CDJ-1000

1xEcler Nuo 4.0 (just got a A&H Xone 92 but haven't set it up)

This is what I'm most comfortable with and yes as you can see I play CDs even though I might think of them as obsolete. But if CDs disappeared one day I'd most likely get myself timecoded vinyls and rip all the digital records onto a HD.

I got tired of burning backup CDs to take to gigs because I didn't want the originals destroyed.

Those are just landfill clutter, not good.

I use Traktor and digitize my records as needed

Sometimes I use a USB controller as my mixer, sometimes I use the outs of the soundcard and use the mixer at the gig if they have a nice Xone:92 or something.

i've mixed with cd since 97, and well, never changed that.

At the beginning i did like Joske and only djed from originals but then I started backing up copies and right now i prepare my set on high quality cd-r, meaning i select all the tracks i want to play at home and store them on 2 sole discs, and then mix from there, i can't be bothered of changing discs anymore, so in a way it's like if i were playing from 2 usb sticks.

That is maybe why someone posted on this thread that some dj never change cds, well that's been me in the last 5 years at least.

But being a dj is much more than mixing, it is the preparation. I spend hours searching for the right combination of tracks and that is what counts, then for me u might even play from one single usb stick, i don't mind, it's the story and the music that defines the dj.

Sometimes I also rip vinyl only tracks for my set in advance for the dj set.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never understood (as with CDs in general) why these CDJs still exist.

Vinyl DJs can get all their needs fit into traktor and timecoded vinyls, as well as being able to play with original vinyl.

CDJs is _exactly_ the same as playing with a midi-controller and a laptop, jog wheels and effects galore.

http://static.djbooth.net/pics-equip/vci400-2.jpg

You look into your computer inventory just as much as you look into your CD inventory. I've tried, there's at least for me no difference at all.

Not having to bring your laptop, which might contain a person's life and be horrible to have to replace, is real nice.

Those newer CDJs that work with USB thumb drives are kind of the best of both worlds.

Being able to put a nights worth of music on a couple of thumb drives and head to the party would be sweet.

No need to stash or worry about your laptop getting stolen or damaged. Just a thumb drive in a pocket

Not having to bring your laptop, which might contain a person's life and be horrible to have to replace, is real nice.

No need to stash or worry about your laptop getting stolen or damaged. Just a thumb drive in a pocket

That's why I have a gig laptop, with nothing but my music and the necessary software on it. If someone steals it the most valuable thing they get is a literal fuckton of good music for free. The hardware is pretty much worthless by now.

Yeah, I had that going on for a bit with my Hackintosh Dell Vostro Mini netbook

Then I accidentally bricked it

Was pretty sweet to have a tiny 9" laptop that cost less than $200.00 to DJ with

The screen was kind of a pain in the ass, but I liked the novelty factor of it =)

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting discussion - I'm a bit late getting involved, but I haven't been on the forum much for a while.

Just to throw a few of my views in there:

Vinyl is to my mind, still the best DJ medium - for turntablist skills and energy that just can't be replicated by CD or digital. You may be able to recreate the sounds and effects, but nothing is as awesome as watching a skilled DJ juggling beats on a couple of Technics.

That said, that style of mixing is pretty much irrelevant in Psy & Especially Goa Trance as smooth blends are preferable to chopping up tracks, due to the nature of the music.

So - that leaves CDs and digital. I mix at home with CDs, because that's what my music collection consists of. I never embraced downloading, so digital mixing isn't an option for me.

For the gigging DJ, I can see the sense (and convenience)in digital mixing, but as a punter there's no denying that having that screen up is a bit off putting, (to me anyway.)

This brings me to the part I have a problem getting my head around - it seems to me, that the only people who are actually bothered about what media the "DJ" is using are other DJs or producers, mainly those who are against long-time developed skills being made redundant by technology. I honestly don't think 95% of the dancefloor care at all.

Now, I know pretty much nothing about digital or laptop mixing, but there seems a large spectrum of how involved an artist gets with playing their set. Take Tristan for example - last time I saw him, he used his headphones maybe twice in the whole set and most of the time was dancing and waving his arms in the air - I'm not knocking him for that - he's very entertaining and the crowd love him, but I'm guessing he can't be far off pressing play on a pre-arranged set. Does that matter, if the dancefloor is rocking? I don't know tbh...

On the other hand (not Psytrance obviously) take the likes of Richie Hawtin or Chris Liebing - pushing the boundaries of what digital kit can do & blurring the lines between DJ & producer - BUT can you appreciate all their fancy kit and effects on the dance floor? No. Their sets are no better to my ears than when they played vinyl - so perhaps the method of delivery isn't that important after-all...

So there you have my 2ps worth. Turned into a bit of a ramble, but I'm struggling to get my head round the whole deal. On the one hand, I love quality sets delivered with talent on turntables & CDJs and would be saddened to see that side of the performance disappear, but I also see how having the beat-matching process taken away frees you up to do more creative things (whether people are aware of what you are up to or not,) or dance and gesticulate to the crowd. My stance is softening on this as time goes by and I'm starting to think that if the partygoers are having a great night, the DJ is being paid by them to entertain, not give a lesson in the fine arts of their craft...

Why these questions become a hot topic in DJ-circuits is very simple.

The general audience do not give a shit about what the DJs do on stage (unless they're at the DMC-competitions) they're interested in the music and the vibe as a whole.

The performers and DJs on the other hand is "predators" looking to find a place in a mirage that the human brain produces through jealousy and prestige. Human nature that is all, just saying... I fell into that pit myself when I was younger and getting started.