It's time to just say it

johnb820

and one of the biggest section on Ektoplazm(dedicated to dark releases) it's all results of russian mafia's work? :D

My problem with a lot of Darkpsy isn't that it's unmelodic, but that it's too narrow rhythmically and uses the same kinds of effects too often. Much of it sounds like a version of full-on, just with more sound effects and without the buildup to a lead melody. It's still psytrance, just stripped of its rock and pop influences, which are the elements that make psytrance interesting to me.

I liked the Noise Gust album (even if parts of it sounded a little generically psytrance) and I like some Ghreg On Earth and Derango.

Also ECT is a musical genius. Not sure if you'd call his tracks darkpsy or not, I just know that they're amazing.

• Like 1

@Padmapani

Think you missed my point on darkpsy if you strongly disagree with my post.

Ofc goa produces will also tune their synth sounds, but the focus is different.

As you say it on your own, you don't care about those random piercing noises, but the darkpsy guy will do.

On the other hand the darkie will not care about those random note melodies (aka ARP), which are essential to goa.

As you say, it's a matter of perspective

i'm not disagreeing with your whole post, but with the point i quoted.

an arp is not simply random melodies, it's a chord played in sequence. if it's done right you can make wonderful progressions unfold without sounding cheesy or "classical". but i agree that some goa producers (even the big ones; newschool and oldschool) sometimes create loops with melodies that don't have any coherence or storytelling and just sound like, well, random notes taken from an oriental scale put together just for the purpose of creating any (irgendeine beliebige) melody, just because goa trance is expected to have lots of melodies.

i do see some purpse to some very few darkpsy fx (scatterbrain, psykovsky - last bus madras, lunarave (even if they're not really darkpsy)) and like the result, but the rest of the genre sounds as random to me as filteria or shakta sounds to the darkpsy nuts (i'm not saying they're free of guilt of just putting together random melodies. but it's not the majority of their material)

Also ECT is a musical genius. Not sure if you'd call his tracks darkpsy or not, I just know that they're amazing.

See, like the Psychopod "Stop the Carnage" post, ECT is not, to me, darkpsy.

If darkpsy sounded more like ECT and Psychopod, I'd be a lot more into darkpsy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm very glad that the darkpsy scene is into ECT

He's a good force in their world

Squwark, Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, Ants for Breakfast (or whatever the fuckall it is called)

ECT is the shit.

Mind meltingly killer psychedelic music

but the rest of the genre sounds as random to me as filteria or shakta sounds to the darkpsy nuts

I have never once seen a darkpsy nut express the opinion that Filteria or Shakta sound random.

• Like 1

I have never once seen a darkpsy nut express the opinion that Filteria or Shakta sound random.

i've heard that from people into darkpsy and also people who are into fullon. both are typically not that well suited for newbies to the genre.

I got to disagree with that. When i first discovered Goa I was in love with Navigate! as it had immense power. I could easily couple it and Toi Doi with Darkpsy.

both are typically not that well suited for newbies to the genre.

Not paying attention to the technical side( mixing and etc). What is the the difference between THIS and the most part of modern dark tracks? I'm talk about IDEA,MESSAGE.

I think there is still a different between 145-150 BPM dark psy and 180-220 Hi Tech... And specially the Hi Tech is now SUPER popular.

They are both psychedelic, but the second tempo is simply undanceable for me. Its too fast, I can just wave a leg... not jump or trance on it... :) That's the reason why I simply can't connect to it at all...

But as said here, the young generation is into it. It has funny consequences. The VERY big teknival/hard fast Tekkno/Hardcore scene of France (where goa almost died out) is now changing rapidly towards Hi Tech. So, on Lost Theory for example, they had 10 times more French people this year compared to last year! So, no more Teknivals, lets go to psy-trance shift is there now... Unfortunately it doesn't add much to a nice atmosphere imo... No extravert dancing, no sunlight, no smiles, too much drugs :(

• Like 1

Can I please bring up the idea from page 1 again ... a computer program that writes trance would acutally be awesome.

Imagine, a live set would just be the program combining some new, ever continuing track out of a mix of samples and parameters. And every two minutes, it recombines its parameters, a short break and boom, new preset. Sparkled with the occasional voice sample. On and on and on ... no expensive DJs anymore, no expensive live gear ... just the program. Inexpensive and effective.

Or is it ... actually bone-chilling scary...?

Anyway, with all due respect and tolerance that is in me, I really dislike Hi-Tech and the way where the darkpsy scene is going. I can do nothing but laugh when going on the Hitech floor. I don't laugh at people, I laugh at the situation ... this concept is so un-connectable for me, so devoid of anything that I seek in music. It's ununderstandable for me how anybody could seek it.

And that's the scary thing for me, because I never thought I could dislike anything in the psy scene EVER. I was wrong.

Where has the GOOD dark stuff gone?

The stuff like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ysE8dlDQsc

Chills down the spine.

Where the so called "darkpsy" of now just does not deliver...

Any input?

Hi-Tech is not supposed to be dark, but mind fucking.

To be honest I'm suprised that many ppl here dislike Hi-Tech. Apart from the high bpm which can be polarizing the whole idea of weird sound effects is a major characteristic of Psytrance since day one.

I also shake my head at the you must be on drugs to enjoy it. Isn't that what outsiders accuse Goa and Psy for? I mean we try to convince people that music is the drug and now a Psytrance subgenre is accused of being a drug music.
Honestly this is a major flashback of 2001-2002 where hardcore goaheads believed that Full On was only popular because of e.

• Like 1