Did Simon Posford completely quit making trance ?

I read his interview in which he said that making ambient-downtempo music is his style now and that he likes to collaborate more than making his own album, but I still miss his old HALLUCINOGENIC sounds and trips, like probably 95 % of trancers too so, I would really like to know whether anyone knows anything about new Hallucinogen stuff or I should just stop waiting for it ? :) I mean, 7 years of waiting is a bit too much...:)

Guest Kiph T. Elephant

According to a message he posted on the hallucinogen website (in the forum) he is planning to do more hallucinogen stuff. Go check out the message at www.shpongle.com/hallucinogen (click on the forum link)

Here's the message Simon (if it really was him?) posted in the Hallucinogen forum (few weeks ago):

"Hi everybody... Happy New Year to you all!

i apologise for my long absence, but i have been working (honest!)

the collaboration with merv from eat static is nearly finished - maybe 2 or 3 weeks away now. We still don't have a name for it yet... we have been using the working title "Metal Sharon", but aren't too happy with it... any suggestions?

the shpongle gig in japan went well over new year's eve... i even played a bit of guitar and bass, which was much more fun than operating a load of machines! i just LOVE that country... the people are so warm,loving and evolved...

other highlights of last year for me were the hallucinogen in dub gig at glastonbury - again, i was able to play guitar... we had youth on bass, and ott on the machines, and i loved every minute of it! i will be sending some mp3s of the gig to aquagena, as soon as i get the recording off the elusive sound guy... keep your eyes and ears peeled! i enjoyed aphex twin's set too... one of the strangest ambient sets i have ever heard in my life... whether u like his stuff or not, the guy is a genius...

earthcore 10th anniversary was also a killer... i haven't been to oz for a while, and it was a joy to meet some of the fans there, and the warm reception was amazing.

i have written a hallucinogen track for the forthcoming 'gran turismo' game on ps2... it is quite slow, and probably has too much bass for a TV, but sounds Huge on a big sound system!

i do pop in to the chat room occasionally, and of course there is never anyone there... perhaps i will post a time that i will be there... i will try again at 10pm tonight GMT.

Thank you for all your emails... i do read them all, and try to reply to as many as possible, although i tend to ignore the ones that are already answered in interviews on the site. I have certainly met some interesting people, and if i don't reply, please don't take it personally... sometimes my inbox gets too full, and yahoo deletes a load automatically... also there is no broadband in my remote part of the english countryside, so the internet is a bit of a chore on a dial-up connection.

i intend to start the hallucingen 3rd album this year... i have been bored working on my own in the studio, preferring to collaborate...younger brother, merv, shpongle etc.. but now i am twitchy again, and we need some new dancefloor killers!

Thanks to all who support us by actually buying the records, not just downloading it.

The music business is on it's knees, and sometimes it is hard for a small label to make a profit... personally i think mp3s sound shit anyway, and would rather people heard the quality of mastering that goes into a CD... we don't spend all that money for nothing!

Well it is 7am here now, and my head feels like a frisbee... i should be mixing the final merv track, but got distracted by the interweb again... and after seeing all your kind posts, i thought i should say hello!

Love to everyone, especially the regulars, and all the best for 2004! Have a Great new year, and a million more to come!

x x x

simon"

Hey Shpongled, thanks a lot for that...Hehehe...I truly hope so that Simon is going to beat the shit out of all of us with his next effort ! I can't wait for some more psychedelic madness that such genious was providing us with...Huh, how poetic I sounded, but I simply can't wait ! ...:)

Don't think it will be that different with todays technology. The stuff Simon did 5-10 years ago was far ahead of it's time, and back then it was all hardware.

He used it in in the smartest and most efficient way. People still wonders how he could make it that good.

Instead of using i.e. 10 VSTi's and 20 audio tracks or wathever todays music software may running in a complex song. He programmed the hell out of the stuff he had. Akai samplers, the analogue (warmth!) synths and the (sometimes really cheap) fx-boxes - everything recorded to a 16 track harddisc multitrack recorder which demands way more from a producer than working on an audio recording software.

His skills and knowledge is outstanding, and he creates mindblowing music wether it's "old" technology or modern computer wizardry. (Maybe the work progress goes a bit smoother these days.)

Well, of course..Simon The Magus is popular just beacuse of his sonic manipulation that is simply brilliant and ahead of it's time...How he used his sklills when he was that young, 20 years old when he started producing music is still unbelievable to me...It is one of the most sophisticated mixing of madness....SIMPLY BRILLIANT....Simon, continue with your old style, please !

yesh it would be very nice if Simon went back to the hardware way and steered clear of Twisted's latest efforts... but if he puts Hallucinogen on it, it'll sell in the multitude no worries!

ou jeee!!!

I'm so excited that simon has started to do dancefloor stuff again....

it has been a long wait! Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Shpongle,Subkha,

Fly Agaric etc. BUT Hallucinogen music is just something! Which Hallucinogen's song do you people like the most? I think this is a hard one.....but I'll say Shamanix (I can't believe that it was possible to do a song like this in 1995...but hey if someone can SIMON can ;)

Yap, he was only 20 years old when he made Twisted album, it is so unbelievable...That's why I am sorry he is not producing it anymore. I mean, 2 albums....too little for trance headz...My favourite is also SHAMANIX but I like also SOOTHSAYER, DARK MAGUS, LSD, SPIKE, DERANGER;...what am I saying, I like 'em all !

Yeah, Mozart did, having music in his head, not having to deal with technology, mixing...beside that electronic music is easier to write, it is far more complicating to programme it, mix it, connect everything and play three instruments Simon does, or he plays even more ? That's what I meant...Only Erez succeded in same thing beside Simon....They are 2 real geniuses...

Mozart did more than just hold down some keys and let an arpeggiator do the work. Mozart was genious, he made great music, Simon probably uses more samples than The KLF. But i listen to Hallucinogen much more than i listen to any classical composer. I love psy and i wish there was someone as genious as Mozart making psytrance.

Well, to me Mozart is sterotypical classical composer...Just cause he had music in his head doesn't make him genious in my opinion...To me, Beethoven was much more genious than Mozart cause he was deaf and like that he wrote all of his music...That was something...Mozart is romantic, cheesy and by his late years he started making something mores serious than music for spoiled emperors he was making before that...real, brilliant classical composers were Bach, Beethoven, Wagner from early ages and Mahler, Bartok, Schnittke, Shostakovich, Ravel from late period....Just imagine how psychedelic Bach would sound these days and not Mozart...AND, NO, Simon is not using only samples you ignorant fool, he is playing instruments and he had girl singing...If you are too immature to make this kind of music, don't make everyone else immature too.It is pretty obvious from listening that he is not only using samples but you don't seem to realize anything in any case...

"If you are too immature to make this kind of music..." You don´t know anything about what kind of music i make. But i sure didn´t write any symphonies when i was 8 years old. And im pretty sure Simon didn´t either.

Hallucinogen uses alot of arpeggios and Shpongle uses alot of samples. Even i realize that even though im so immature. Not that using samples would make a person less genious, but i just don´t think he was genious in the first place.