Where do you keep your collection?

Ormion

So I have a major problem. I have more than 1000 cds and nowhere to keep them. I'm trying for days to find a cd case, but I can't. Apparently the death of cds caused the death of the cd furniture as well. All those years I used the classic Ikea ones.

71ee92d0b6e782c7b279888896395665_big.jpg

The problem with these is that you have to drill the wall to keep them steady and I can't anymore. My wall is like a swiss cheese.

What kind of system do you have?

Yeah CD furniture died ages ago. I have my 1700 CDs stacked on each other two long shelves and in one unit.

I am now living with my girlfriend and have ordered some shelvings and another unit.
Space is limited so most CDs on the shelves will still be on top each other.

Few things beat like any other collection, staring at your record collection.

(pic below is from late 2011)

[/url]">http://337492_10150363788725975_1453827908_o_zp

• Like 1

The death of CDs (and books and DVDs) also means that people are dumping loads of their old furniture. You can try checking your physical and virtual second-hand marketplaces. That's where I started when trying to bring some order to my previous chaos.

However, it can be quite difficult to find a single, large enough solution or matching pieces second-hand. I didn't want yet another mish-mash of mismatched bits when planning this thing from the scratch. Although I tried to give the local suppliers a chance, everything there was tiny, inconvenient and/or expensive, so the evil Swede it was.

Currently my CDs are in Bestå shelves. The 60x20x38 cm (WxDxH) basic unit is about 20e with one separating horizontal shelf. At least earlier there was also a 120cm wide double version. One 56x15 cm slot (two of them in the small unit) holds about 50 CDs with not much space wasted. There's a bit of extra height, which comes in handy for oversized boxes and cases. The units are small enough to be moved around easily, and you can stack a few on the floor or on top of other (sturdy enough) furniture like in my configuration.

shelfie.jpg

(As you can see, there are currently some extra rows held by bookends, and piles of incoming/outgoing stuff. I should sort everything again and maybe buy an extra unit whenever I manage to start my holidays. Assorted lower priority CDs are piled in the canvas boxes.)

Of course, the instructions state that you should screw everything to the walls. However, unless you have very unruly pets or family members, it's hard to get killed by a falling 38cm high shelf in the floor configuration. I don't claim that this would be the best solution, but it was reasonably affordable, simple and well available.

IMGP0855.jpgIMGP0856.jpgIMGP0857.jpg

On the first picture:plastic "Case Logic" CD tower for 80 CDs.Unfortunately I can't buy more,because not available anymore. :(

On the second picture: CD tower for 50 CDs.I like it very much,because the doors on it are transparent. :)

On the third picture: looks like it is an Ikea item,but I not bought them in Ikea.I bought them without doors.I made plus doors to avoid dust and other things.And save the CDs of course! :) :)

Stuffed in a box & shoved in a closet. I don't play from the CDs, I just rip them to my computer in WAV. One of the reasons my latest purchases were non-physical when available. It just started to seem pointless to accumulate more physical things I only use once.

Stuffed in a box & shoved in a closet. I don't play from the CDs, I just rip them to my computer in WAV. One of the reasons my latest purchases were non-physical when available. It just started to seem pointless to accumulate more physical things I only use once.

+1 to everything you said.

I still use Ikea Gnedby's

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90277145/

They contain ~192cds (12 shelves with 16cds each). You'd need 6 to fill over 1000 cds.

There's also this one, depending on your needs:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09023403/

You don't need to screw them to the wall: what I do is put some folded cardboard under the front of the feet. That way the furniture bends slightly backwards and doesn't risk falling forward.

Self made shelfs mostly and 1 Ikea (open) closet now... :) I managed to create more space again for more cds/vinyls :)

(but, under my bed there are 2000 more vinyls, but I have no more space for them...)

I added my structure... Cds are not random of course (and my drone/beatless ambient cds are in the bedroom)

DSC_0301.jpg
DSC_0302.jpg
  • Like 2

DSC_0301.jpg

Love the elephant.

I've got my CDs stacked in IKEA racks like the one in the OP, but they're now full and new ones go in a pile on a nearby bookshelf. There isn't space for many more there either, so I'm going to have to figure something else out soon.

I've just filled my last tower from Ikea and am having to temporarily store the overflow on a bookcase in front of some paperbacks.

I also don't want to use another tower, because of drilling the wall again. The bulk of my electronic music collection is stored on a large shelving unit I bought from Argos, but I outgrew that much faster than I was expecting - hence starting with some Ikea towers.

(I've also got another couple of drawer units full of music other than psy / techno / chill.)

I have two 'proper' CD shelves, with about 100 albums in total. Most are Digipaks and things that look nice on a shelf. The rest had to go in CD wallets inside a cabinet, since I don't have anywhere to put 1000+ jewel cases.

For vinyl, I have the typical 'milk crates'. I keep them arranged so that I have just enough room to get out of bed. :P

When I see these impressive collections, I wonder how long the CDs will last before they get damaged by time.

The ideal conditions would be a storage in the dark, with a very low humidity (30%, thanks to air conditionners), at a regular temperature (I don't remember the ideal temperature for CD storage).

Anyway, keep them away from dust, water, heat, and sunlight.

My father keeps a part of his CD collections in a briefcase like these:

plantraco-carbon-bf-1.jpg

HTB15BKUGXXXXXcUXXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

So you can easily stash them under a bed or under the drawer part of a desk.

Where my collection goes, is on a 32GB Flash drive. Most goa/psytrance is free to download at Soundcloud anyway. I'd stick to local artists and try to support them when they perform at events.

One thing I dislike on how collections grow is how everything becomes just a mass. A mass of CDs. It becomes so impersonal with all those fancy artworks not shown, that's why my next Goa shelf will be more displayable.

Whoa Penzo, you've got Ubar Tmar's deput 12". Nice! I don't own a vinyl player but been thinking about buying that one as a decorative piece. :)

Lucky snag on Discogs. I don't own a Vinyl player either. :D

When I see these impressive collections, I wonder how long the CDs will last before they get damaged by time.

The ideal conditions would be a storage in the dark, with a very low humidity (30%, thanks to air conditionners), at a regular temperature (I don't remember the ideal temperature for CD storage).

Anyway, keep them away from dust, water, heat, and sunlight.

I also wonder this..